Re: [pfaf] Re:dioscorea - mice might be the biggest problem

  • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2013
      There is a type of Dioscorea that grows wild here in my area (Himachal Pradesh) of India.  Locally it is called TARADI.  It is not D. alata or the other species referred by you.  Its tubers are dug up these days and even offered for sale during February and March.  I consulted all the books and floras on local plants.  I did not find anything like this in any of the books which otherwise are quite comprehensive.  It means that this plant has even been missed by taxonomists too.

      Here are a few pictures.  I have written an articles on this plant in some magazines and can send a PDF if anyone is interested.  I can also try to get bulbils too during trhe season.

      Here are a few pictures:

      A vine in forest WS

      A vine in the forest.

      Tardolu

      Fruits which are sown

      Size of a taradi pit.

      Size of a taradi pit

      DSCF0001 TR

      Sale of Taradi tubers at Mandi town.

      Taradi vine

      A taradi vine

      Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
      186/3 Jail Road
      Mandi HP 175001
      INDIA
      01905-222810; 09418181323
      www.fruitipedia.com

      Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [pfaf] Re:dioscorea - mice might be the biggest problem

      The D. batatas [oppositifolia]   grows its tuber fairly deep in the ground., -- not like D. alata or rotundata, that grow near the surface.
        I did not have trouble with mice when I raised them, -- [Jerusalem Artichokes were a different story]

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27, 2013
        got mice? get a cat.

        Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:39 PM

        The D. batatas [oppositifolia]   grows its tuber fairly deep in the ground., -- not like D. alata or rotundata, that grow near the surface.
          I did not have trouble with mice when I raised them, -- [Jerusalem Artichokes were a different story]

        ..is my experience, especially if you'd like to let the tubers in the
        soil over winter
        ***Steph

        Zitat von ortaa23 ormus23@...>:

        Hi,

        > Wondering if anyone here has some dioscorea batatas
        tubercles going
        > spare, ideally ones that have been acclimatised to zone
        8 conditions
        > (I am in SE England), and that have given a decent crop.
        If so, do
        > get in touch.
        >
        > Regards,

        Adam

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
        Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
        http://www.allmende.de.vu

        No virus found in this message.
      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013
          I too am looking for these, or indeed any variation on yam that can be grown in a western climate (Im in Northern Ireland)
          Thanks,
          Andrew
        • Michael Porter
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013
            horizon herb [in Oregon]Richo Check, - sold me some a few years ago, --try them, they may still carry them