Re:dioscorea - mice might be the biggest problem

  • Allmende Verden
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26 10:38 PM
      ..is my experience, especially if you'd like to let the tubers in the
      soil over winter
      ***Steph

      Zitat von ortaa23 <ormus23@...>:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Wondering if anyone here has some dioscorea batatas tubercles going
      > spare, ideally ones that have been acclimatised to zone 8 conditions
      > (I am in SE England), and that have given a decent crop. If so, do
      > get in touch.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Adam

      Artilleriestr. 6
      D-27283 Verden
      Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
      Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
      http://www.allmende.de.vu
    • Michael Porter
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27 3:09 AM
        The D. batatas [oppositifolia]   grows its tuber fairly deep in the ground., -- not like D. alata or rotundata, that grow near the surface.
          I did not have trouble with mice when I raised them, -- [Jerusalem Artichokes were a different story]

        Zitat von ortaa23 ormus23@...>:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Wondering if anyone here has some dioscorea batatas tubercles going
        > spare, ideally ones that have been acclimatised to zone 8 conditions
        > (I am in SE England), and that have given a decent crop. If so, do
        > get in touch.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Adam

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
        Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
        http://www.allmende.de.vu

      • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27 4:12 AM
          There is a type of Dioscorea that grows wild here in my area (Himachal Pradesh) of India.  Locally it is called TARADI.  It is not D. alata or the other species referred by you.  Its tubers are dug up these days and even offered for sale during February and March.  I consulted all the books and floras on local plants.  I did not find anything like this in any of the books which otherwise are quite comprehensive.  It means that this plant has even been missed by taxonomists too.

          Here are a few pictures.  I have written an articles on this plant in some magazines and can send a PDF if anyone is interested.  I can also try to get bulbils too during trhe season.

          Here are a few pictures:

          A vine in forest WS

          A vine in the forest.

          Tardolu

          Fruits which are sown

          Size of a taradi pit.

          Size of a taradi pit

          DSCF0001 TR

          Sale of Taradi tubers at Mandi town.

          Taradi vine

          A taradi vine

          Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
          186/3 Jail Road
          Mandi HP 175001
          INDIA
          01905-222810; 09418181323
          www.fruitipedia.com

          Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:39 PM

          Zitat von ortaa23 ormus23@...>:

          Hi,

          > Wondering if anyone here has some
          class=mark>dioscorea batatas tubercles going
          > spare, ideally ones that have been acclimatised to zone
          8 conditions
          > (I am in SE England), and that have given a decent crop.
          If so, do
          > get in touch.
          >
          > Regards,

          Adam

          Artilleriestr. 6
          D-27283 Verden
          Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
          Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
          http://www.allmende.de.vu

          No virus found in this message.

        • infowolf1
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27 4:18 AM
            got mice? get a cat.

            Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:39 PM

            Zitat von ortaa23 ormus23@...>:

            Hi,

            > Wondering if anyone here has some dioscorea batatas
            tubercles going
            > spare, ideally ones that have been acclimatised to zone
            8 conditions
            > (I am in SE England), and that have given a decent crop.
            If so, do
            > get in touch.
            >
            > Regards,

            Adam

            Artilleriestr. 6
            D-27283 Verden
            Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
            Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
            http://www.allmende.de.vu

            No virus found in this message.
          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28 6:45 AM
              I too am looking for these, or indeed any variation on yam that can be grown in a western climate (Im in Northern Ireland)
              Thanks,
              Andrew
            • Michael Porter
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28 1:16 PM
                horizon herb [in Oregon]Richo Check, - sold me some a few years ago, --try them, they may still carry them