Seeking hardy dioscorea batatas tubers

  • ortaa23
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
      Hi,

      Wondering if anyone here has some dioscorea batatas tubercles going spare, ideally ones that have been acclimatised to zone 8 conditions (I am in SE England), and that have given a decent crop. If so, do get in touch.

      Regards,

      Adam
    • Allmende Verden
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
        ..is my experience, especially if you'd like to let the tubers in the
        soil over winter
        ***Steph

        Zitat von ortaa23 <ormus23@...>:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Wondering if anyone here has some dioscorea batatas tubercles going
        > spare, ideally ones that have been acclimatised to zone 8 conditions
        > (I am in SE England), and that have given a decent crop. If so, do
        > get in touch.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Adam

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
        Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
        http://www.allmende.de.vu
      • Michael Porter
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27, 2013
          The D. batatas [oppositifolia]   grows its tuber fairly deep in the ground., -- not like D. alata or rotundata, that grow near the surface.
            I did not have trouble with mice when I raised them, -- [Jerusalem Artichokes were a different story]

          Zitat von ortaa23 ormus23@...>:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Wondering if anyone here has some dioscorea batatas tubercles going
          > spare, ideally ones that have been acclimatised to zone 8 conditions
          > (I am in SE England), and that have given a decent crop. If so, do
          > get in touch.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Adam

          Artilleriestr. 6
          D-27283 Verden
          Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
          Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
          http://www.allmende.de.vu

        • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2013
            There is a type of Dioscorea that grows wild here in my area (Himachal Pradesh) of India.  Locally it is called TARADI.  It is not D. alata or the other species referred by you.  Its tubers are dug up these days and even offered for sale during February and March.  I consulted all the books and floras on local plants.  I did not find anything like this in any of the books which otherwise are quite comprehensive.  It means that this plant has even been missed by taxonomists too.

            Here are a few pictures.  I have written an articles on this plant in some magazines and can send a PDF if anyone is interested.  I can also try to get bulbils too during trhe season.

            Here are a few pictures:

            A vine in forest WS

            A vine in the forest.

            Tardolu

            Fruits which are sown

            Size of a taradi pit.

            Size of a taradi pit

            DSCF0001 TR

            Sale of Taradi tubers at Mandi town.

            Taradi vine

            A taradi vine

            Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
            186/3 Jail Road
            Mandi HP 175001
            INDIA
            01905-222810; 09418181323
            www.fruitipedia.com

            Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:39 PM

            Zitat von ortaa23 ormus23@...>:

            Hi,

            > Wondering if anyone here has some
            class=mark>dioscorea batatas tubercles going
            > spare, ideally ones that have been acclimatised to zone
            8 conditions
            > (I am in SE England), and that have given a decent crop.
            If so, do
            > get in touch.
            >
            > Regards,

            Adam

            Artilleriestr. 6
            D-27283 Verden
            Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
            Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
            http://www.allmende.de.vu

            No virus found in this message.

          • infowolf1
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 2013
              got mice? get a cat.

              Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:39 PM

              Zitat von ortaa23 ormus23@...>:

              Hi,

              > Wondering if anyone here has some dioscorea batatas
              tubercles going
              > spare, ideally ones that have been acclimatised to zone
              8 conditions
              > (I am in SE England), and that have given a decent crop.
              If so, do
              > get in touch.
              >
              > Regards,

              Adam

              Artilleriestr. 6
              D-27283 Verden
              Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
              Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
              http://www.allmende.de.vu

              No virus found in this message.
            • Andrew
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013
                I too am looking for these, or indeed any variation on yam that can be grown in a western climate (Im in Northern Ireland)
                Thanks,
                Andrew
              • Michael Porter
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013
                  horizon herb [in Oregon]Richo Check, - sold me some a few years ago, --try them, they may still carry them