Re: [pfaf] Any berberis varieties breeded for edible fruit?

  • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013
      Are you aware of KASHMAL (Berberis aristata) growing wild in the mid-Himalayas?  If not read the Fruitipedia chapter on this fruit at the following link:

      I can send you seeds too but for this you will have to remind me in mid-june when the fruits ripoen.

      With best regards,

      Very truly yours,

      Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
      186/3 Jail Road
      Mandi HP 175001
      INDIA
      01905-222810; 09418181323
      www.fruitipedia.com

      Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:12 AM
      Subject: [pfaf] Any berberis varieties breeded for edible fruit?

      Hello,
      I wonder if there are any varieties of berberis species breeded for
      the edibility of the fruits. A google-search in german doesn't get me
      any. We're livin in zone 7b. Greetings from Steph

      Artilleriestr. 6
      D-27283 Verden
      Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
      Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
      http://www.allmende.de.vu

      No virus found in this message.

    • Allmende Verden
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013
        Thanx for the Info, Geir. 'Asperma' seems not availible in germany, as
        appropriate forums tell. Maybe we're getting ourselves 'orange
        king'***Steph

        Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

        > I know of noone breeded for that purpose,
        > but at least Orange King have nice tasty berries,
        > and there is a seedless variety of Berberis vulgaris: "Asperma according
        > to Krüssmann : Vervendung finden zur herstellung der "Confiture Dèpine
        > vinette" in Rouen. I know ther is (was) specimn in Botanical Garden in
        > Oslo...
        >
        > Other nice fruiting barberries are
        > B darvinii, B. dictyophylla, amurensis and aggregata...
        >
        > The Mahonias are easier to grow to get same "kind" of berries...
        >
        > Geir Flatabø
        >
        > 2013/1/7 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
        >
        >> Hello,
        >> I wonder if there are any varieties of berberis species breeded for
        >> the edibility of the fruits. A google-search in german doesn't get me
        >> any. We're livin in zone 7b. Greetings from Steph
        >>

        >> Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
        >> Artilleriestr. 6
        >> D-27283 Verden
        >> Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
        >> Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
        >> http://www.allmende.de.vu
        >> Kurze und lange Aufenthalte im Gartenprojekt oft möglich!

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
        Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718