Any berberis varieties breeded for edible fruit?

  • Allmende Verden
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2013
      Hello,
      I wonder if there are any varieties of berberis species breeded for
      the edibility of the fruits. A google-search in german doesn't get me
      any. We're livin in zone 7b. Greetings from Steph

      Artilleriestr. 6
      D-27283 Verden
      Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
      Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
      http://www.allmende.de.vu
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2013
        I know of noone breeded for that purpose,
        but at least Orange King  have nice tasty berries,
        and there is a  seedless variety of Berberis vulgaris: "Asperma according to Krüssmann : Vervendung finden zur herstellung der "Confiture Dèpine vinette" in Rouen. I know ther is (was) specimn in Botanical Garden in Oslo...

        Other nice fruiting barberries are
        B darvinii,  B. dictyophylla, amurensis and aggregata...

        The Mahonias are easier to grow to get same "kind"  of berries...

        Geir Flatabø

        2013/1/7 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
        Hello,
        I wonder if there are any varieties of berberis species breeded for
        the edibility of the fruits. A google-search in german doesn't get me
        any. We're livin in zone 7b. Greetings from Steph

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel   (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
        Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
        http://www.allmende.de.vu

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
            pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013
          Are you aware of KASHMAL (Berberis aristata) growing wild in the mid-Himalayas?  If not read the Fruitipedia chapter on this fruit at the following link:

          I can send you seeds too but for this you will have to remind me in mid-june when the fruits ripoen.

          With best regards,

          Very truly yours,

          Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
          186/3 Jail Road
          Mandi HP 175001
          INDIA
          01905-222810; 09418181323
          www.fruitipedia.com

          Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:12 AM
          Subject: [pfaf] Any berberis varieties breeded for edible fruit?

          Hello,
          I wonder if there are any varieties of berberis species breeded for
          the edibility of the fruits. A google-search in german doesn't get me
          any. We're livin in zone 7b. Greetings from Steph

          Artilleriestr. 6
          D-27283 Verden
          Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
          Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
          http://www.allmende.de.vu

          No virus found in this message.

        • Allmende Verden
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013
            Thanx for the Info, Geir. 'Asperma' seems not availible in germany, as
            appropriate forums tell. Maybe we're getting ourselves 'orange
            king'***Steph

            Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

            > I know of noone breeded for that purpose,
            > but at least Orange King have nice tasty berries,
            > and there is a seedless variety of Berberis vulgaris: "Asperma according
            > to Krüssmann : Vervendung finden zur herstellung der "Confiture Dèpine
            > vinette" in Rouen. I know ther is (was) specimn in Botanical Garden in
            > Oslo...
            >
            > Other nice fruiting barberries are
            > B darvinii, B. dictyophylla, amurensis and aggregata...
            >
            > The Mahonias are easier to grow to get same "kind" of berries...
            >
            > Geir Flatabø
            >
            > 2013/1/7 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
            >
            >> Hello,
            >> I wonder if there are any varieties of berberis species breeded for
            >> the edibility of the fruits. A google-search in german doesn't get me
            >> any. We're livin in zone 7b. Greetings from Steph
            >>

            >> Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
            >> Artilleriestr. 6
            >> D-27283 Verden
            >> Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
            >> Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
            >> http://www.allmende.de.vu
            >> Kurze und lange Aufenthalte im Gartenprojekt oft möglich!

            Artilleriestr. 6
            D-27283 Verden
            Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
            Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718