Re: [pfaf] tree legumes

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
      Do you eat the gorse ??

      Geir Flatabø

      2012/7/5 peter wheat <peter_wheat@...>

      Seems Gorse is hardy to zone 6 also:

      http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Ulex+europaeus

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      From: hevnsent@...
      Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 10:58:18 -0500
      Subject: [pfaf] tree legumes

      Hi
      does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing temperature zones, like 6?
      Thanks
      nova

    • peter wheat
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
        See link:

        The flower buds are pickled in vinegar and then used like capers in salads[183]. A tea is made from the shoot tips[177, 183].

        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
        From: geirf@...
        Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200
        Subject: Re: [pfaf] tree legumes

        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
          Hi there,
          Where do you live, Nova?
          We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
          individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

          Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

          > The main group would be the
          > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
          >
          > i e for a seed crop,
          > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
          > any.....
          > Geir Flatabø
          >
          > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Hi
          >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
          >> temperature zones, like 6?
          >> Thanks
          >> nova

          Artilleriestr. 6
          D-27283 Verden
          Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
          Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
          http://www.allmende.de.vu
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
            WHat do you mean by "check for their taste" ?
            Tasted seeds and / or leaves shots ??

            Are ther large individual taste variation ??

            Geir Flatabø

            2012/7/6 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
            Hi there,
            Where do you live, Nova?
            We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
            individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

            Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

            > The main group would be the
            > Caragana species,  esp  Caragana sibirica...
            >
            > i e for a seed crop,
            > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
            > any.....
            > Geir Flatabø
            >
            > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> Hi
            >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
            >> temperature zones, like 6?
            >> Thanks
            >> nova

            Artilleriestr. 6
            D-27283 Verden
            Tel   (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
            Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
            http://www.allmende.de.vu

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • nova wright
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
              Hi
              I am in Missouri USA

              nova
              "In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"  George Orwell
              We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
              individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

              Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

              > The main group would be the
              > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
              >
              > i e for a seed crop,
              > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
              > any.....
              > Geir Flatabø
              >
              > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Hi
              >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
              >> temperature zones, like 6?
              >> Thanks
              >> nova

              Artilleriestr. 6
              D-27283 Verden
              Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
              Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
              http://www.allmende.de.vu

            • nova wright
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                Thanks Geir, Peter & Steph

                nova
                What are the well suited for forage in this category

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012

                  Amazing plant..do you know how I can obtain some seeds?

                  To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                  From: geirf@...
                  Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200

                  To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                    When we're havin a workcamp with 10people around, we're doing a
                    comparative taste-session on every shrubs seeds.***Steph

                    Citeren Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                    > WHat do you mean by "check for their taste" ?
                    > Tasted seeds and / or leaves shots ??
                    >
                    > Are ther large individual taste variation ??
                    >
                    > Geir Flatabø
                    >
                    > 2012/7/6 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                    >
                    >> Hi there,
                    >> Where do you live, Nova?
                    >> We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                    >> individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph
                    >>
                    >> Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:
                    >>
                    >> > The main group would be the
                    >> > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                    >> >
                    >> > i e for a seed crop,
                    >> > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                    >> > any.....
                    >> > Geir Flatabø

                    >> Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                    >> Artilleriestr. 6
                    >> D-27283 Verden
                    >> Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                    >> Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                    >> http://www.allmende.de.vu
                    >> Kurze und lange Aufenthalte im Gartenprojekt oft möglich!

                    Artilleriestr. 6
                    D-27283 Verden
                    Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                    Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                    http://www.allmende.de.vu
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                      Do you then use for tasting -  the immature seeds,
                      or mature  cooked seeds...
                      or sprouted seeds..

                      Geir Flatabø

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                        In Russia
                        Moscow area , it is called yellow acacia,
                        and looked upon as one of the best honey / nectar sources among bee keepers, superseeded by Lime (linden) trees only.

                        Geir Flatabø

                        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                        From: geirf@...
                        Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200