Re: [pfaf] tree legumes

  • mIEKAL aND
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
      I plant 100s of caragana arboresense aka siberian peashrub, you can't go wrong with those tho there are many others...

      ~mIEKAL

      On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM, nova wright <hevnsent@...> wrote:

      Hi
      does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing temperature zones, like 6?
      Thanks
      nova
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
        And then you have the
        Gleditsia triacanthos...

        Geir Flatabø

        2012/7/6 nova wright <hevnsent@...>

        Thanks so much!
        I am following that out now.
        What are the well suited for forage in this category
        nova
        "In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"  George Orwell
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
          Do you eat the gorse ??

          Geir Flatabø

          2012/7/5 peter wheat <peter_wheat@...>

          Seems Gorse is hardy to zone 6 also:

          http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Ulex+europaeus

          To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
            See link:

            The flower buds are pickled in vinegar and then used like capers in salads[183]. A tea is made from the shoot tips[177, 183].

            To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
            From: geirf@...
            Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200

            To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
              Hi there,
              Where do you live, Nova?
              We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
              individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

              Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

              > The main group would be the
              > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
              >
              > i e for a seed crop,
              > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
              > any.....
              > Geir Flatabø
              >
              > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Hi
              >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
              >> temperature zones, like 6?
              >> Thanks
              >> nova

              Artilleriestr. 6
              D-27283 Verden
              Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
              Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
              http://www.allmende.de.vu
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                WHat do you mean by "check for their taste" ?
                Tasted seeds and / or leaves shots ??

                Are ther large individual taste variation ??

                Geir Flatabø

                2012/7/6 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                Hi there,
                Where do you live, Nova?
                We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

                Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                > The main group would be the
                > Caragana species,  esp  Caragana sibirica...
                >
                > i e for a seed crop,
                > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                > any.....
                > Geir Flatabø
                >
                > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
                >
                >> **
                >>

                >> Hi
                >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
                >> temperature zones, like 6?
                >> Thanks
                >> nova

                Artilleriestr. 6
                D-27283 Verden
                Tel   (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                http://www.allmende.de.vu

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • nova wright
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                  Hi
                  I am in Missouri USA

                  nova
                  "In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"  George Orwell
                  We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                  individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

                  Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                  > The main group would be the
                  > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                  >
                  > i e for a seed crop,
                  > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                  > any.....
                  > Geir Flatabø
                  >
                  > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
                  >
                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> Hi
                  >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
                  >> temperature zones, like 6?
                  >> Thanks
                  >> nova

                  Artilleriestr. 6
                  D-27283 Verden
                  Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                  Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                  http://www.allmende.de.vu

                • nova wright
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                    Thanks Geir, Peter & Steph

                    nova

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012

                      Amazing plant..do you know how I can obtain some seeds?

                      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                      From: geirf@...
                      Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200

                      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                        When we're havin a workcamp with 10people around, we're doing a
                        comparative taste-session on every shrubs seeds.***Steph

                        Citeren Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                        > WHat do you mean by "check for their taste" ?
                        > Tasted seeds and / or leaves shots ??
                        >
                        > Are ther large individual taste variation ??
                        >
                        > Geir Flatabø
                        >
                        > 2012/7/6 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                        >
                        >> Hi there,
                        >> Where do you live, Nova?
                        >> We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                        >> individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph
                        >>
                        >> Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:
                        >>
                        >> > The main group would be the
                        >> > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                        >> >
                        >> > i e for a seed crop,
                        >> > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                        >> > any.....
                        >> > Geir Flatabø

                        >> Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                        >> Artilleriestr. 6
                        >> D-27283 Verden
                        >> Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                        >> Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                        >> http://www.allmende.de.vu
                        >> Kurze und lange Aufenthalte im Gartenprojekt oft möglich!

                        Artilleriestr. 6
                        D-27283 Verden
                        Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                        Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                        http://www.allmende.de.vu
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                          Do you then use for tasting -  the immature seeds,
                          or mature  cooked seeds...
                          or sprouted seeds..

                          Geir Flatabø

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                            In Russia
                            Moscow area , it is called yellow acacia,
                            and looked upon as one of the best honey / nectar sources among bee keepers, superseeded by Lime (linden) trees only.

                            Geir Flatabø

                            To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                            From: geirf@...
                            Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200