RE: [pfaf] tree legumes

  • peter wheat
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5 10:35 AM
      http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Caragana+sinica

      Say's this one is hardy to zone 6.

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      From: hevnsent@...
      Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 10:58:18 -0500
      Subject: [pfaf] tree legumes

      Hi
      does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing temperature zones, like 6?
      Thanks
      nova

    • peter wheat
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5 10:36 AM
        Seems Gorse is hardy to zone 6 also:

        http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Ulex+europaeus

        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 5 3:34 PM
          Thanks so much!
          I am following that out now.
          What are the well suited for forage in this category
          nova
          "In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"  George Orwell

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 5 11:48 PM
                Do you eat the gorse ??

                Geir Flatabø

                To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 5 11:49 PM
                  See link:

                  The flower buds are pickled in vinegar and then used like capers in salads[183]. A tea is made from the shoot tips[177, 183].

                  To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                  From: geirf@...
                  Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200

                  To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 6 1:03 AM
                    Hi there,
                    Where do you live, Nova?
                    We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                    individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

                    Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                    > The main group would be the
                    > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                    >
                    > i e for a seed crop,
                    > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                    > any.....
                    > Geir Flatabø
                    >
                    > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
                    >
                    >> **
                    >>

                    >> Hi
                    >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
                    >> temperature zones, like 6?
                    >> Thanks
                    >> nova

                    Artilleriestr. 6
                    D-27283 Verden
                    Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                    Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                    http://www.allmende.de.vu
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 6 2:21 AM
                      WHat do you mean by "check for their taste" ?
                      Tasted seeds and / or leaves shots ??

                      Are ther large individual taste variation ??

                      Geir Flatabø

                      2012/7/6 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                      Hi there,
                      Where do you live, Nova?
                      We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                      individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

                      Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                      > The main group would be the
                      > Caragana species,  esp  Caragana sibirica...
                      >
                      > i e for a seed crop,
                      > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                      > any.....
                      > Geir Flatabø
                      >
                      > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
                      >
                      >> **
                      >>

                      >> Hi
                      >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
                      >> temperature zones, like 6?
                      >> Thanks
                      >> nova

                      Artilleriestr. 6
                      D-27283 Verden
                      Tel   (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                      Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                      http://www.allmende.de.vu

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • nova wright
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 6 4:28 PM
                        Hi
                        I am in Missouri USA

                        nova
                        "In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"  George Orwell
                        We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                        individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

                        Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                        > The main group would be the
                        > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                        >
                        > i e for a seed crop,
                        > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                        > any.....
                        > Geir Flatabø
                        >
                        > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
                        >
                        >> **
                        >>

                        >> Hi
                        >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
                        >> temperature zones, like 6?
                        >> Thanks
                        >> nova

                        Artilleriestr. 6
                        D-27283 Verden
                        Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                        Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                        http://www.allmende.de.vu

                      • nova wright
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 6 5:16 PM
                          Thanks Geir, Peter & Steph

                          nova

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 6 11:43 PM

                            Amazing plant..do you know how I can obtain some seeds?

                            To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                            From: geirf@...
                            Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200

                            To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 7 12:21 AM
                              When we're havin a workcamp with 10people around, we're doing a
                              comparative taste-session on every shrubs seeds.***Steph

                              Citeren Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                              > WHat do you mean by "check for their taste" ?
                              > Tasted seeds and / or leaves shots ??
                              >
                              > Are ther large individual taste variation ??
                              >
                              > Geir Flatabø
                              >
                              > 2012/7/6 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                              >
                              >> Hi there,
                              >> Where do you live, Nova?
                              >> We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                              >> individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph
                              >>
                              >> Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:
                              >>
                              >> > The main group would be the
                              >> > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                              >> >
                              >> > i e for a seed crop,
                              >> > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                              >> > any.....
                              >> > Geir Flatabø

                              >> Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                              >> Artilleriestr. 6
                              >> D-27283 Verden
                              >> Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                              >> Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                              >> http://www.allmende.de.vu
                              >> Kurze und lange Aufenthalte im Gartenprojekt oft möglich!

                              Artilleriestr. 6
                              D-27283 Verden
                              Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                              Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                              http://www.allmende.de.vu
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 7 1:53 AM
                                Do you then use for tasting -  the immature seeds,
                                or mature  cooked seeds...
                                or sprouted seeds..

                                Geir Flatabø

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 7 2:19 AM
                                  In Russia
                                  Moscow area , it is called yellow acacia,
                                  and looked upon as one of the best honey / nectar sources among bee keepers, superseeded by Lime (linden) trees only.

                                  Geir Flatabø

                                  To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: geirf@...
                                  Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200