RE: [pfaf] tree legumes

  • peter wheat
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
      Here's one for starters:

      http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Caragana+arborescens

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      From: hevnsent@...
      Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 10:58:18 -0500
      Subject: [pfaf] tree legumes

      Hi
      does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing temperature zones, like 6?
      Thanks
      nova

    • peter wheat
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
        http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Caragana+sinica

        Say's this one is hardy to zone 6.

        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
          Seems Gorse is hardy to zone 6 also:

          http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Ulex+europaeus

          To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
            The main group would be the
            Caragana species,  esp  Caragana sibirica...

            i e for a seed crop,
            for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use any.....
            Geir Flatabø

            2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>

            Hi
            does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing temperature zones, like 6?
            Thanks
            nova

          • nova wright
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
              Thanks so much!
              I am following that out now.
              What are the well suited for forage in this category
              nova
              "In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"  George Orwell

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                    Do you eat the gorse ??

                    Geir Flatabø

                    To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                      See link:

                      The flower buds are pickled in vinegar and then used like capers in salads[183]. A tea is made from the shoot tips[177, 183].

                      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                      From: geirf@...
                      Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200

                      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                        Hi there,
                        Where do you live, Nova?
                        We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                        individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

                        Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                        > The main group would be the
                        > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                        >
                        > i e for a seed crop,
                        > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                        > any.....
                        > Geir Flatabø
                        >
                        > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
                        >
                        >> **
                        >>

                        >> Hi
                        >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
                        >> temperature zones, like 6?
                        >> Thanks
                        >> nova

                        Artilleriestr. 6
                        D-27283 Verden
                        Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                        Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                        http://www.allmende.de.vu
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                          WHat do you mean by "check for their taste" ?
                          Tasted seeds and / or leaves shots ??

                          Are ther large individual taste variation ??

                          Geir Flatabø

                          2012/7/6 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                          Hi there,
                          Where do you live, Nova?
                          We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                          individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

                          Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                          > The main group would be the
                          > Caragana species,  esp  Caragana sibirica...
                          >
                          > i e for a seed crop,
                          > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                          > any.....
                          > Geir Flatabø
                          >
                          > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
                          >
                          >> **
                          >>

                          >> Hi
                          >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
                          >> temperature zones, like 6?
                          >> Thanks
                          >> nova

                          Artilleriestr. 6
                          D-27283 Verden
                          Tel   (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                          Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                          http://www.allmende.de.vu

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • nova wright
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                            Hi
                            I am in Missouri USA

                            nova
                            "In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"  George Orwell
                            We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                            individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

                            Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                            > The main group would be the
                            > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                            >
                            > i e for a seed crop,
                            > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                            > any.....
                            > Geir Flatabø
                            >
                            > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
                            >
                            >> **
                            >>

                            >> Hi
                            >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
                            >> temperature zones, like 6?
                            >> Thanks
                            >> nova

                            Artilleriestr. 6
                            D-27283 Verden
                            Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                            Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                            http://www.allmende.de.vu

                          • nova wright
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                              Thanks Geir, Peter & Steph

                              nova

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012

                                Amazing plant..do you know how I can obtain some seeds?

                                To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                                From: geirf@...
                                Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200

                                To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                                  When we're havin a workcamp with 10people around, we're doing a
                                  comparative taste-session on every shrubs seeds.***Steph

                                  Citeren Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                                  > WHat do you mean by "check for their taste" ?
                                  > Tasted seeds and / or leaves shots ??
                                  >
                                  > Are ther large individual taste variation ??
                                  >
                                  > Geir Flatabø
                                  >
                                  > 2012/7/6 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                                  >
                                  >> Hi there,
                                  >> Where do you live, Nova?
                                  >> We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                                  >> individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph
                                  >>
                                  >> Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:
                                  >>
                                  >> > The main group would be the
                                  >> > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                                  >> >
                                  >> > i e for a seed crop,
                                  >> > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                                  >> > any.....
                                  >> > Geir Flatabø

                                  >> Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                                  >> Artilleriestr. 6
                                  >> D-27283 Verden
                                  >> Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                                  >> Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                                  >> http://www.allmende.de.vu
                                  >> Kurze und lange Aufenthalte im Gartenprojekt oft möglich!

                                  Artilleriestr. 6
                                  D-27283 Verden
                                  Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                                  Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                                  http://www.allmende.de.vu
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                                    Do you then use for tasting -  the immature seeds,
                                    or mature  cooked seeds...
                                    or sprouted seeds..

                                    Geir Flatabø

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                                      In Russia
                                      Moscow area , it is called yellow acacia,
                                      and looked upon as one of the best honey / nectar sources among bee keepers, superseeded by Lime (linden) trees only.

                                      Geir Flatabø

                                      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: geirf@...
                                      Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200