tree legumes

  • nova wright
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
      Hi
      does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing temperature zones, like 6?
      Thanks
      nova
    • peter wheat
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
        Here's one for starters:

        http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Caragana+arborescens

        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
          http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Caragana+sinica

          Say's this one is hardy to zone 6.

          To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
            Seems Gorse is hardy to zone 6 also:

            http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Ulex+europaeus

            To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
              The main group would be the
              Caragana species,  esp  Caragana sibirica...

              i e for a seed crop,
              for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use any.....
              Geir Flatabø

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                Thanks so much!
                I am following that out now.
                What are the well suited for forage in this category
                nova
                "In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"  George Orwell

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                      Do you eat the gorse ??

                      Geir Flatabø

                      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 5, 2012
                        See link:

                        The flower buds are pickled in vinegar and then used like capers in salads[183]. A tea is made from the shoot tips[177, 183].

                        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                        From: geirf@...
                        Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200

                        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                          Hi there,
                          Where do you live, Nova?
                          We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                          individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

                          Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                          > The main group would be the
                          > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                          >
                          > i e for a seed crop,
                          > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                          > any.....
                          > Geir Flatabø
                          >
                          > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
                          >
                          >> **
                          >>

                          >> Hi
                          >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
                          >> temperature zones, like 6?
                          >> Thanks
                          >> nova

                          Artilleriestr. 6
                          D-27283 Verden
                          Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                          Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                          http://www.allmende.de.vu
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                            WHat do you mean by "check for their taste" ?
                            Tasted seeds and / or leaves shots ??

                            Are ther large individual taste variation ??

                            Geir Flatabø

                            2012/7/6 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                            Hi there,
                            Where do you live, Nova?
                            We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                            individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

                            Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                            > The main group would be the
                            > Caragana species,  esp  Caragana sibirica...
                            >
                            > i e for a seed crop,
                            > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                            > any.....
                            > Geir Flatabø
                            >
                            > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
                            >
                            >> **
                            >>

                            >> Hi
                            >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
                            >> temperature zones, like 6?
                            >> Thanks
                            >> nova

                            Artilleriestr. 6
                            D-27283 Verden
                            Tel   (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                            Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                            http://www.allmende.de.vu

                            <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • nova wright
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                              Hi
                              I am in Missouri USA

                              nova
                              "In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"  George Orwell
                              We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                              individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph

                              Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                              > The main group would be the
                              > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                              >
                              > i e for a seed crop,
                              > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                              > any.....
                              > Geir Flatabø
                              >
                              > 2012/7/5 nova wright <hevnsent@...>
                              >
                              >> **
                              >>

                              >> Hi
                              >> does anyone know of any tree legumes that are hardy in below freezing
                              >> temperature zones, like 6?
                              >> Thanks
                              >> nova

                              Artilleriestr. 6
                              D-27283 Verden
                              Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                              Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                              http://www.allmende.de.vu

                            • nova wright
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012
                                Thanks Geir, Peter & Steph

                                nova

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 6, 2012

                                  Amazing plant..do you know how I can obtain some seeds?

                                  To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: geirf@...
                                  Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200

                                  To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                                    When we're havin a workcamp with 10people around, we're doing a
                                    comparative taste-session on every shrubs seeds.***Steph

                                    Citeren Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

                                    > WHat do you mean by "check for their taste" ?
                                    > Tasted seeds and / or leaves shots ??
                                    >
                                    > Are ther large individual taste variation ??
                                    >
                                    > Geir Flatabø
                                    >
                                    > 2012/7/6 Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                                    >
                                    >> Hi there,
                                    >> Where do you live, Nova?
                                    >> We've got about 70caragana arborescens seedlings here which we checkt
                                    >> individually for their taste. Greetings from Steph
                                    >>
                                    >> Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:
                                    >>
                                    >> > The main group would be the
                                    >> > Caragana species, esp Caragana sibirica...
                                    >> >
                                    >> > i e for a seed crop,
                                    >> > for othe leguminuos crops like for nitrogen fertilization you could use
                                    >> > any.....
                                    >> > Geir Flatabø

                                    >> Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
                                    >> Artilleriestr. 6
                                    >> D-27283 Verden
                                    >> Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                                    >> Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                                    >> http://www.allmende.de.vu
                                    >> Kurze und lange Aufenthalte im Gartenprojekt oft möglich!

                                    Artilleriestr. 6
                                    D-27283 Verden
                                    Tel (+49) 4231- 900 90 15
                                    Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
                                    http://www.allmende.de.vu
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                                      Do you then use for tasting -  the immature seeds,
                                      or mature  cooked seeds...
                                      or sprouted seeds..

                                      Geir Flatabø

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 7, 2012
                                        In Russia
                                        Moscow area , it is called yellow acacia,
                                        and looked upon as one of the best honey / nectar sources among bee keepers, superseeded by Lime (linden) trees only.

                                        Geir Flatabø

                                        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: geirf@...
                                        Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:48:17 +0200