Growing tropical plants inside& in gound in the cold (from another mango thread)

  • Francis S
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2012
      too far off the subject copy/paste
      Dennis (you could go bannanas) Im in a cold zone 5 so it was in a pot,
      but I think a standard 55 gallon garbage can can suport it
      or supppose if it was grafted on a smaller root stock.

      I do not have alot of time to comment on it(right now)
      but came here to copy/paste something, really quick,
      but speaking of which I've talked to some people on a container growing forum (on garden web), and you can grow some exotic fruits
      like rambutan (I keep calling it Rasbutin)

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambutan

      , and other plants
      (and lychee oh thats the name I was trying to think about
      found thta out by clicking the family name on wikipedia
      I never knew maple/ horsechestnet was in that soapberry family)

      If you wanted to buy one that stays small though a emperor lychee
      (I looked back on my mail So I'ts always good to ask, because some varaieties grow small while other seeds do not, bt you could trim the roots, but I have no experience from that

      I agree with Daniel I grow things just for the fun of it,

      If you want to grow a bannnan (musa) out side even in zone 5 you could do it,and this isn't by bending down the tree, and buring it, although some people do that, and grow figs.
      (I think you can get a species in zone 6 for figs though)

      The bannana I was talking about was (a japenese bananna )
      I forgot the name (musa basjoo), here are one other ice cream
      I was accualy just reading last night how a odd deep freeze
      In 1898 or something in Texas froze a bannana 15 below ,
      and it came back it's called Texas star.

      also it's hard to beleieve
      (look into people growing bananan's though)
      garden web has a forum.

      but banana's have a rhizome that sprouts back
      If trimmeed to the ground ,
      and covered with mulch they should come back
      They say bannana's(some species) can grow 15 feet in 6 months

      Mulch also produces steam if you see it in the winter it steams so it keeps the temperature cooler

      I decided to copy/pasted to another thread sorry for the confusion

      here are the garden web forums
      http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/

      to search faster pop up a name click copy (or ctrl)and f
      in the find box you can write anything
      container (for container gardening) or bannana

      it will highlight it, and bring you to it

      (out of frustration I learned macatosh or microsoft is different
      I think you copy with the flag looking button right next to the ctrl button)

      container
      http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/contain/

      banana
      http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/banana/

      (I like -->"name that plant"<--- where you can post a picture of a plant, and they tell you what it is.

      It is also good to look in the trading forum
      you can go to the area your in ,
      and see if people are near by

      (note even though Im writing of growing banana's in zone 5
      I am against growing invasive plants,
      or things that might become invasive
      If you cannot control (losing the fruit)
      them with netting, or prunning off the imature fruits
      whcih I have done
      (I killed my Moms honeysuckle I told her I slipped, and broke a kettle of boiling tea on it. just kidding, but I did kill it.)
    • Francis S
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2012
        That post was complety messed up,
        but I didn't have the time to re write it
        from my comment (it'sd not lioke Im planning on publishing it)
        It has been a while since I've read up on these plants, but
        maybe when I look into this subject again I will know of some good recommendations of plants that grow in colder climates

        , and tecniques like burying plants adding mulch
        building fires (for those that barly make it in your zone)
        or shooting freezing water at the plants,
        (I learned that from viniculturist or grape growers.)

        I do not know too much just looked into it alittle or (over (heard)/read of others discuss it)

        (Oh if anyone has any information on
        why some tree's listed as zone (8 or 9)
        like white Oaks grow in zone 5 in Illinois which can get -20 below in winters I'd want to know

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Franc

      • dennis@denniskean.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2012
          Francis,

          Thanks for the elaborate answer.  I really appreciated it.

          I grow figs and we have a feast every year.  But birds come and destroy much of the crop by taking the ripe ones.  So, I covered them last year with a net and they were freaked out.   It took them days to understand what the problem was.  But some other animal found a way to get under the net and eat much of the figs before us.  Farming can be so impossible sometimes.

          Anyway, thanks for all your comments, Francis.

          Dennis

[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

        • dennis@denniskean.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2012
            Francis,

            I have Honeysuckle devastating my property!  How do you kill or control it.  It is so invasive and impossible to control for me.

            Dennis