Re: [pfaf] Mango seed

  • Joseph A Cleary
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 26, 2012
                   Dear Daniel:
                      With the bit of the Rx makes me think we weren't really talking about Cacti but something which if I'm correct is a illegal plant with five leaves in one and used to be used to make hemp rope, but no longer.
                      If this is indeed the plants you were in reference to then you're on your own.
      Shalom, Shalom, Yosef

      From: daniel wildman <spiderman18102@...>
      To: "pfaf@yahoogroups.com" <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, February 24, 2012, 6:09 AM

      Dear Yosef: Thank You for thee father information about how to plant the seed this is much more helpful then the other person.
      Well I also have a "green thumb" I can grow just about anything, an well I just about have, even illegal plants of course in CA who cares.
      But here in PA in not so conducesive to grow that kind of plant, for fear of getting arrested, even just for having the seed in the first place.
      List of plants I want to grow:|
      Symbiotic Plant (may not be able to grow from seed by least have one)/ this one cacti now illegal in US/ list goes on....
      Thank You = Shalom, Shalom
      Dan

      From: daniel wildman <spiderman18102@...>
      To: "pfaf@yahoogroups.com" <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, February 23, 2012, 2:07 AM

      Dear Yosef or Joseph A Cleary: Thank you for sharing your experience with Avocado's/ native Cedar.
      Have you tried to Bonsai the Native Cedar maybe that would work.
      I know they have Bonsai Red Wood I I would not see why it would not work.
      But most of all thank you for the information about planting my one mango seed. Would you know how deep to plant the seed?
      I want to grow a Olive from seed only thing is to just get one seed is not so easy, do not know anybody that even would have one.

      Last seed I want to try an grow is a Tagua Nut, of course it takes 7yrs just to germinate, and yes I can get just one seed, then wait till it grows.

      Thank You - Shalom, Shalom
      Dan
      From: daniel wildman <spiderman18102@...>
      Subject: [pfaf] Mango seed
      To: "PFF List" <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 2:54 AM

      Hello all this is the first email of this yr form me anyway.
      Well I bought thi mango they were 10 for $10 so I only out one an feed the flesh to my tortoise, not sure if Plated Lizard ate any. anyway..
      I drided the seed, now the question is how to plant the seed, is there a depth/ certain way to face the seed etc. what kind of soil what kind of pot,
      what kind of light, etc.
      Of course I realize that it will out grow the pot/ Apt some day, but before that I can have fun growing it
      Then you may be ask your self why go though all that just to grow a Mango. For the knowledge/ experience/ an just plain fun of it

      On another subject just related to this I grew a Avocado on guy say it would get 40' tall, had lot of fun with that one too

      Next is a Pineapple, the lady across the street from me grew one hers did great, so I figure  can grow one also, can wait

      Will let you all know how the experiments turn out
    • daniel wildman
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28, 2012
        Dear Joseph: Well I am not sure what Rx properties the cacti I am refering to is the Peyote (Lophophora williamsii
        Which to my knoledge has been illegal for some time,
        As for the 5 leaved plant used to make hemp rope. Makes great pair of pants too but there $$,
        Is legal in some states in the US but only with Rx. But now there are growing it in KY/TN an Alaska
        so the guys for CA drive up across international lines into Alaska back across international lines, back ot the US. would not want to get cought doing that, But the plants get well over 9' since there is 6 months of sun.
        As for the 5 leaved plant in KY/ TN they grow it in the tobbacoo fields, well you guessed it if you cut the tabbacoo
        you cut the 5 leafed plant along with it, so the people that smoke are smoking it anyway, so why can others

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 23, 2012
          I grew a mango by placing it in a terarium or just in a plastic grocery bag (edit with air inside,) full of sand maybe alittle soil, for nutrients.

          Just in a bag sealed up acts like a green house it holds in the humidity, for a terianium I just use a (fish)aquairuim I cut out cardboard for the lid, but I make sure the cardboad is covered with a plastic bag foldeed around the cardboard
          or it will just absorb the water drop lets.

          They grow so fast (my (new) dog ate mine)

          For the soil they prefre alkoline soil not acidic
          I just took some oak compost (acid soil), and added lime to it.

          The technique I mentioned is just getting them started
          you still have to transplant them
          Thats why A bag works well A terariaum in a container would work good also just for starting the seed then letting it get some air after it sprouts.

          (I made sure to add if your doing it in a grocery bag
          make sure it's tied at the top to hold air
          this is just so the humidity can build up like a green house
          I accualy did both used a terarium,
          and a bag makes it easy to dig out seeds for transplanting
          hold moisture, and you can just walk away from it, with no intervention.)

          If it doen't have air in it , it would still grow,
          this is just how I have done it.

          I have never dried my seed out other then making tea with them
          to grow , I have never read if your supposed to or not.

          (Oh I have grown Avocado this way to they grow fast )

          Daniel have you thought about growing Ginger root or is it Ginseng root for some reason Im having a brain fart(just woke up) just cut off 2 inches of the root with the knots in it, and plant.

          Hope this helps. Im positive it's ginger now.
          (Ginseng is native to North America also so I wouldn't of tried growing that)

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 23, 2012
            Hey Francis: Thank You for all the  wonderful advice/ infromation, there is alot here to comment on so I will take into consideration what you have mention, So far you have provided the best advice/ information yet on how to gremaite.
            I plan to grow try and grow Avocado/ Ginger I tryed before btu want to try again.
            I also want to try an grow some pineapple. The untimite seed I want to try and grow is a Tagua Nut, yes I  know it thats 7rs to germinate, then another 15yrs to produce fruit, of couse by then I would be alot older, an it would be to big. But it just the idea of saying hey I did it and it grew for what I did to make it grow, etc.
            Thank You Again
            Dan the seed Man

          • dennis@denniskean.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 23, 2012
              What zone do you live in.  Can Avocado grow in North Carolina?

              DK

              I grew a mango by placing it in a terarium or just in a plastic grocery bag (edit with air inside,) full of sand maybe alittle soil, for nutrients.

              Just in a bag sealed up acts like a green house it holds in the humidity, for a terianium I just use a (fish)aquairuim I cut out cardboard for the lid, but I make sure the cardboad is covered with a plastic bag foldeed around the cardboard
              or it will just absorb the water drop lets.

              They grow so fast (my (new) dog ate mine)

              For the soil they prefre alkoline soil not acidic
              I just took some oak compost (acid soil), and added lime to it.

              The technique I mentioned is just getting them started
              you still have to transplant them
              Thats why A bag works well A terariaum in a container would work good also just for starting the seed then letting it get some air after it sprouts.

              (I made sure to add if your doing it in a grocery bag
              make sure it's tied at the top to hold air
              this is just so the humidity can build up like a green house
              I accualy did both used a terarium,
              and a bag makes it easy to dig out seeds for transplanting
              hold moisture, and you can just walk away from it, with no intervention.)

              If it doen't have air in it  , it would  still grow,
              this is just how I have done it.

              I have never dried my seed out other then making tea with them
              to grow , I have never read if your supposed to or not.

              (Oh I have grown Avocado this way to they grow fast )

              Daniel have you thought about growing Ginger root or is it Ginseng root for some reason Im having a brain fart(just woke up) just cut off 2 inches of the root with the knots in it, and plant.

              Hope this helps. Im positive  it's ginger now.
              (Ginseng is native to North America also so I wouldn't of tried growing that)

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Joseph A Cleary <josepa2@...> wrote:

              >            Dear Daniel:
              >                I too have grown a Avocado, mine got so big I had to give mine away, for me it only took two years for it to be bigger than I am.
              >                It's like me planting a native Cedar and in two years it was over seven feet tall and it was over four feet across. It too was given away.
              >                When you plant your Mango seed you might try to keep it in wet sand, but don't drown it.
              >                Good luck.
              > Shalom, Shalom, Yosef or Joseph A. Cleary

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

            • daniel wildman
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 24, 2012
                I am in Zone 6b, well when I do grow my Avocado it will not be outside so it would not matter.
                But I would have to get rid of it when it got to big which would be abot 1-2yrs.
                So then you may ask your self then why gorw it.
                Just to say that I could, an for the "fun" of it
                May even try to bonsai it

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/