R4 FoodProg - AgroForestry

  • Phil Slade
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2004
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/foodprogramme.shtml

      Sunday 12:30-13:00
      Rpt: Monday 16:00-16:30
      & listen online

      In this week's programme Sheila Dillon discovers a world where trees are the
      main source of food and are integral to the way we produce livestock and
      other crops. Ancient civilisations and our pagan ancestors used to worship
      trees, but for centuries now, we've been busy cutting them down.

      We tend to think of food from trees as the add ons to our diet, snacks such
      as nuts and apples. The staples come from fields of wheat, rich pastures
      with sheep and cattle and sheds full of chickens and pigs. But trees are not
      only bearers of nuts and fruit, they could be the basis of all food
      production. Science writer Colin Tudge explains what might have happened if
      we had developed an agriculture based on trees and Roland Bonney of the Food
      Animal Initiative in Oxfordshire describes their project of combining trees
      with chickens.

      Professor Bob Orskov of the Macauley Institute in Aberdeen tells us about
      his global work combining livestock with trees. He says it's not just better
      for the planet, it's also better for the trees and the animals.

      Deforestation is a major problem that has been worrying many over the last
      few decades. Brazil is often the country that springs to mind. Professor
      Carolyn Proenca from the University of Brasilia tells us about a project to
      protect native trees and to encourage communities to make commercial use of
      the fruit and oils from the trees, instead of cutting them down to plant
      other crops.

      There are many products that could be made from trees native to the British
      Isles and chef Gerard Baker taps his Silver Birch to make Birch Sap wine,
      and Sheila visits a project in Yorkshire where wheat is being grown in
      alleys between Poplar trees. Dr David Pilbeam of the University of Leeds
      tells us the results of the experiment so far.

      Taking Part:

      Colin Tudge
      Centre for Philosophy of Natural and Social Science (CPNSS)
      Lakatos Building
      London School of Economics
      Houghton Street
      London WC2A 2AE
      T: +44 (0)20 7955 7573
      F: +44 (0)20 7955 6869
      PHILCENT@...
      http://www.lse.ac.uk/Depts/cpnss/

      Roland Bonney
      Food Animal Initiative
      The Field Station
      Wytham
      Oxford
      OX2 8QJ
      T: +44 (0) 1865 790880
      enquiries@...
      http://www.faifarms.co.uk/

      Professor Bob Orskov
      Macaulay Land Use Research Institute
      Craigiebuckler
      Aberdeen
      AB15 8QH
      UK
      T: +44 (0) 1224 498200
      F: +44 (0) 1224 311556
      enquiries@...
      http://www.mluri.sari.ac.uk/

      Professor Carolyn Proenca
      University of Brasilia

      Gerard Baker
      Holly Dene
      South End
      Roos
      Near Hull
      East Riding of Yorkshire
      HU12 0HJ
      gerardbaker@...
      http://www.gerardbaker.com/

      David Pilbeam
      University of Leeds
      Leeds
      LS2 9JT
      UK
      T: +44 (0) 113 244 3923
      F: +44 (0) 113 243 1751

      BBCi Food website
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/

      Nominations are now welcome for the BBC Radio Food & Farming Awards 2004.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/foodawards2004.shtml
    • treaclemine2004
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2004
        Many thanks for the heads-up! Sheila Dillon really does a great job
        on The Food Programme ... she's very alert to issues outside
        the 'accepted mainstream'.

        By the way, I'm really enjoying "The Earth Care Manual" and "Plant
        Based Nutrition and Health" at the moment...