RE: [pfaf] Re: Free Report "YOU CAN PROFIT BY PRODUCING FOOD PRODUCTS FOR EXPORT"

  • Javier Cosp Fontclara
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2012

      Marcia:

      Here in Paraguay it is not necessary to go to the jungle. I pick a lot of fruits in the streets
      of the capital, but it is not possible to eat only mangos, guavas or avocados (and other fruits)
      all the time.

      The problem is not overpopulation or bad farming practices.  The problem is that
      the spaniards came in 1492, they divided the land between them,(millions of hect├íreas
      each one) and also divided the indians to work their lands in a kind of feudal system.

      Today something is changed but most of the land still remains in very few people, and
      most of the campesinos dont have land. Those millions of hectareas are dedicated to
      export products like cattle and soya (used to feed the cattle of other countries). So, we
      have a lot of money thanks to export of cattle and soya, but the money goes to only
      a small group of people and most of the people doesnt have money to buy the meat or
      other food. The cows eat very well but the people dont.

      The english in North America divided the land in small parcels that they cultivated themselves
      and began a lot more egalitarian and democratic society where all had a little money
      and that created the conditions for the industrialization of the country.

      In short, the problem is more political than technical.

      Javier Cosp

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      From: traveler.in.thyme@...
      Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:08:59 +0000
      Subject: [pfaf] Re: Free Report "YOU CAN PROFIT BY PRODUCING FOOD PRODUCTS FOR EXPORT"

      I always imagined that people in the tropics could pick food off the jungle trees, and there would always be an abundance. But I suppose overpopulation and bad farming practices are everywhere, not just in my neighborhood.

      Good luck with your excellent project. I have some "edible weeds" from semi-tropical South Central Texas that I could harvest and send to you later this season (cilantro/coriander, chenopodium alba (lamb's quarters/goosefoot/wild spinach), mullein, Italian parsley, semi-wild lettuce that comes up like dandelions, and some seeds that have cross-pollinated from several heirloom varieties that survived our deadly hot dry summers and cold wet winters.

      Please keep in touch and remind me of this promise a bit later in the spring and summer?

      ~Marcia Cash, Traveler in Thyme
      Blanco Texas, zone 8-9

    • travelerinthyme
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16, 2012
        True, Javier, that food production is a political problem. Here in my neighborhood, a rocky ridge in Central Texas, there is a seam of good, deep soil all around the hillsides at about 1600 feet, with nothing but rocks above and below. We are lucky to have a wide enough patch of "black gumbo" to make a big veggie garden and we have many tall oaks, but most of our neighbors have nothing but limestone and juniper scrub.

        Both next door neighbors also have a big patch of real soil, but use the open, flat spaces for parking junk cars and paving over for driveways. I wish there were some way I could talk them into letting me build beautiful gardens in their yards, I'd do it for FREE, but they get suspicious and want their privacy. City people who move to the "country" and don't know how to live like country people are a huge problem in Texas, where the laws favour the land owner, no matter what he does to his land.

        Perhaps we need a licence to prove ability to farm, like a license proving the ability to drive a car, before allowing people to occupy the ever-shrinking areas suitable for cultivation. Really, most people around here don't even know what they have! They all commute to the city and spend their time in the country relaxing instead of working their land, and spread their junk over 5 acres.

        My husband calls me an "Eco-Nazi", and it's true I love my trees more than most of my neighbors! <LOL>

        ~Marcia Cash, Traveler in Thyme
        Blanco County, Texas, zone 8-9