¿What is t his fruit?

  • Javier Cosp Fontclara
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012
    Friends:

    Somebody can tellme what is this fruit? Is it edible?

    Looks like what we call "guayaba" but it is a lot smaller,
    more red and the leaves are very different. (The picture of
    the fruit include a leave).

    Thanks,

    Javier Cosp
    Paraguay
    Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012
      To me it looks like
      Strawberry guava ...
      but there are maybe more guavas  looking like that !?
      if so it is edible...

      Geir Flaabø

      Den 23:07 31. januar 2012 skrev Javier Cosp Fontclara <javiercosp@...> følgende:
      [Attachment(s) from Javier Cosp Fontclara included below]

      Friends:

      Somebody can tellme what is this fruit? Is it edible?

      Looks like what we call "guayaba" but it is a lot smaller,
      more red and the leaves are very different. (The picture of
      the fruit include a leave).

      Thanks,

      Javier Cosp
      Paraguay

      Attachment(s) from Javier Cosp Fontclara

      2 of 2 Photo(s)

    • Griselda Mussett
      Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012
        Looks a bit like a pomegranite.

        griselda

        On 31 Jan 2012, at 22:07, Javier Cosp Fontclara wrote:

        Friends:

        Somebody can tellme what is this fruit? Is it edible?

        Looks like what we call "guayaba" but it is a lot smaller,
        more red and the leaves are very different. (The picture of
        the fruit include a leave).

        Thanks,

        Javier Cosp
        Paraguay

      • Jayabuddhi Amarasinghe
        Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012
          seems to be guava var ; do u get any small seeds.?? Is it edible ???
          Thanks
           J amarasinghe

          Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2012

            I agree, it looks like a small pomegranate.  Which country did it grow?  Frank

            Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
            • 118 Bytes

            Ho,

            Encyclopedia of fruit and nuts says that strawberry guava (Psidium cattleianum) is called "guyaba japonica", "guyaba peruana" or "guyaba de fresa" in spanish.   It is indigenous to the lowlands of eastern Brazil and parts of Uruguay and is considered invasive species in many areas where it has been introduced.   Botanical description says it's "small tree or shrub-like tree from 2 to 12 m tall.  The bark is smooth and grey brown. The leaves are opposite, dark green, glossy, leathery, obovate to elliptic and 3-12 cm long by 1,6-6 cm wide. Flowers are borne singly or in threes in the leaf axils.  The flowers are white 1.5 - 2.5 cm in diameter, with four petals and numerous stamens clustered at the base of a four- to five-lobed calyx.  The fruit is a globose to obovoid berry, 2-4 cm in diameter.  The peel is thin, yellow, red or purple and tipped with a protruding five-lobed calyx.  The aromatic, white pulp is sweet to subacid, surrounding numerous small, hard seeds."

            Species araçá (Psidium angulatum) should have yellow or yellowish green fruit, but one should note that there are also many other Psidium species in tropical Amazonia...   Ripe strawberry guava  fruit may be stored for only 3-4 days at room temperature.

            best wishes,
            Ossi Kakko

            On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 23:50:41 +0100, Geir Flatabø  wrote:

            To me it looks like
            Strawberry guava ...
            but there are maybe more guavas looking like that !?
            if so it is edible...

            Geir Flaabø

            [Attachment(s) [2] from Javier Cosp Fontclara included below]

            Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012

              I have been googling images of strawberry guava and pomegranate and I agree
              with Geir. It is a strawberry guava.

              In wikipedia says it is native of Eastern Brasil and Uruguay. I found it in the street near my
              office (Asunción, Paraguay).  Paraguay is located to the west of Brazil.

              I am going to plant the seeds.

              Thank you for your help.

              Javier Cosp
              Paraguay

              To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              From: frank_bowman@...
              Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 01:11:12 +0000

              Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012

                Thank you Ossi:

                The size of the leaves looks to be wrong in the Enciclopedia of fruit. The leaves are small, maximum 3
                cms.  It is not invasive here in Paraguay. I guess it have its natural enemies in the places where it is native.

                The word "araçá" that you used (marked in red below) means "guayaba" in the indigenous language in
                Paraguay, still the most spoken language in this country.

                Best wishes,

                Javier
                Paraguay

                To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                From: ossi@...
                Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:19:51 +0200
                Subject: Re: [pfaf] ¿What is this fruit? [1 Attachment]

                [Attachment(s) from Ossi Kakko included below]