Re: [pfaf] Fuchsia berries

  • Ossi Kakko
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 25, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 118 Bytes

    There are references for fuchsia in Maori Plant Use Database:

    http://maoriplantuse.landcareresearch.co.nz/WebForms/PeoplePlantSearch.aspx

    best wishes,

    ossi kakko

    On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 17:24:32 +0100, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

    Anyone having experience with Fuchsia berries.

    One written source  (Norwegian ) mention Fuchsia excorticata as a berry source  for the maoris,
    while wikipedia say the european settlers used it for jam...
    Geir Flatabø
  • Johanna Knox
    Message 2 of 11 , Dec 26, 2011
      Hi all

      I wrote a blog post about fuchsia berries (as well as a little bit about the edible sepals) here:

      Best wishes for the new year,
      Johanna

      On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Anna Oake <junglistlily@...> wrote:

       Hey Geir, Yes i've eaten them, and enjoyed!
      Alittle like a grape crossed with a haw.. Odd but nice,
      Give them a go! X

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      From: geirf@...
      Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 17:24:32 +0100
      Subject: [pfaf] Fuchsia berries

      Message 3 of 11 , Dec 26, 2011
        If I should give them a go,
        I`d need a plant  - perhaps seeds,  if they are easy to grow---

        Geir Flatabø

        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

        Message 4 of 11 , Dec 28, 2011
          You could grow them im sure, probably very easy, they are all over the place in th UK!
          If you wanted to try i'm sure two wouldnt mind you havign a go on theirs.. good way to get chatting to folk abot the unknown edibles they have in their gardens too!..X

          To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

          Message 5 of 11 , Dec 28, 2011
            Hi I have a source of plants that produce black cherry size ones. the three silamtp I grew at 1000ft in Snowdonia didn't survive the harsh winter last year. they flowered so well though, never known them like that.

            I can send some cuttings they come easily.

            Frank

            ------------------------------
            On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 12:05 GMT Anna Oake wrote:

            >You could grow them im sure, probably very easy, they are all over the place in th UK!
            >If you wanted to try i'm sure two wouldnt mind you havign a go on theirs.. good way to get chatting to folk abot the unknown edibles they have in their gardens too!..X
            >

            >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
            >From: johanna.knox@...
            >Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:18:59 +1300
            >Subject: Re: [pfaf] Fuchsia berries
            >

            >Hi all
            >

            >I wrote a blog post about fuchsia berries (as well as a little bit about the edible sepals) here:
            >http://wildpicnic.blogspot.com/search/label/Fuchsias
            >

            >Best wishes for the new year,
            >Johanna
            >http://wildpicnic.blogspot.com
            >

            >On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Anna Oake <junglistlily@...> wrote:
            >

            > Hey Geir, Yes i've eaten them, and enjoyed!
            >Alittle like a grape crossed with a haw.. Odd but nice,
            >Give them a go! X
            >

            >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
            >From: geirf@...
            >Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 17:24:32 +0100
            >Subject: [pfaf] Fuchsia berries
            >

            >Anyone having experience with Fuchsia berries.
            >One written source (Norwegian ) mention Fuchsia excorticata as a berry source for the maoris,
            >while wikipedia say the european settlers used it for jam...
            >

            >Geir Flatabø

          • Allmende Verden
            Message 6 of 11 , Dec 28, 2011
              what species are you talking about? There are about 15 listed in the
              pfaf-database, with different hardinesses.
              thanx,
              Steph

              Zitat von Anna Oake <junglistlily@...>:

              > You could grow them im sure, probably very easy, they are all over
              > the place in th UK!
              > If you wanted to try i'm sure two wouldnt mind you havign a go on
              > theirs.. good way to get chatting to folk abot the unknown edibles
              > they have in their gardens too!..X
              >

              > To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              > From: johanna.knox@...
              > Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:18:59 +1300
              > Subject: Re: [pfaf] Fuchsia berries
              >

              > Hi all
              >

              > I wrote a blog post about fuchsia berries (as well as a little bit
              > about the edible sepals) here:
              > http://wildpicnic.blogspot.com/search/label/Fuchsias
              >

              > Best wishes for the new year,
              > Johanna
              > http://wildpicnic.blogspot.com
              >

              > On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Anna Oake <junglistlily@...> wrote:
              >

              > Hey Geir, Yes i've eaten them, and enjoyed!
              > Alittle like a grape crossed with a haw.. Odd but nice,
              > Give them a go! X
              >

              > To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              > From: geirf@...
              > Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 17:24:32 +0100
              > Subject: [pfaf] Fuchsia berries
              >

              > Anyone having experience with Fuchsia berries.
              > One written source (Norwegian ) mention Fuchsia excorticata as a
              > berry source for the maoris,
              > while wikipedia say the european settlers used it for jam...
              >

              > Geir Flatabø

              Artilleriestr. 6
              D-27283 Verden
              Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470 (lange aufs Klingeln warten)
              Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
              http://www.allmende.de.vu
            • Helena Makwana
              Message 7 of 11 , Dec 29, 2011
                Hi. I haven't heard of it! could you send me a snap shot &/or scientific name?

                bye!
                Helena

                To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                Message 8 of 11 , Dec 29, 2011
                • 2 Attachments
                • 18 KB
                Hi Geir and everybody,

                These photos I have attached show the fucshia bush and fruit that I was talking about.

                I hope they email to you.as I am using a mobile phone to send them.

                The bushes grow to about 1/2 metre and fill with blossom. to produce cherry size fruit as you can see.

                Frank.

                ------------------------------

                Message 9 of 11 , Dec 29, 2011
                  Nice
                  perhaps a few seeds would do the trick....

                  Geir

                  <*>[Attachment(s) from fran k included below]

                  <*>Attachment(s) from fran k:

                   <*> lkb
                   <*> lkb

                  <*> Your email settings: