Re: [pfaf] Edible plant leaves

  • nova wright
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 13, 2011

      what is the exact name of the cabbage you refer too
      Thanks
      nova

      "In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"  George Orwell
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 13, 2011
        hi, I dont know yet. I got it from Janta and merav of karuna permaculture farm. ill let you know when they find out.

        frank.

        'in a world of artificial scarcity to be good is bad, and to be bad is good'

      • Infowolf1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 13, 2011
          what is the bacteria and how do they do it?

          Infowolf1

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 13, 2011
            In Colombia we promote Moringa oleifera for human and cattle consumption. Is a high quality-quantity protein producer. Besides is a great erosion control plant
            Enviado desde un dispositivo BlackBerry® de Tigo

            From: Michael Bell <michael@...>
            Sender: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:23:25 GMT
            To: <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

            In message <jbtckk+go15@...>
            "Phil" <bmed19@...> wrote:

            > Hi PFAF members,

            > I am interested in the potential of growing edible plant leaves in
            > large quantities. Can edible leaves be produced at higher yields and
            > with less water and fertilizer than the grains from corn, rice, and
            > wheat? What are some leaf crops that can be produced at high yields
            > with minimal inputs?

            > Thanks

            To say anything useful, we need to know where/in what climate you want
            to grow your plants.

            Michael Bell

          • Javier Cosp
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 14, 2011

              I dont know the name of the bacteria. I believe it is a technology
              from Australia.

              They inject the bacteria like a regular vaccine. Only a percentaje
              of the cows, then they infect each other through the manure.

              Javier

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 14, 2011
                This is one of my favourite subjects: wild greens!

                Here in Texas we have been in the worst drought since the 1950's , with record-breaking heat and cold spells. Even though I did not irrigate one drop for more than a year, our garden was full of "weeds", many of which were edible or medicinal.

                Our favourite wild veggie is "chenopodium", aka lambs quarters or goosefoot, which tastes a lot like spinach when cooked, though it's a bit dry and tough when raw. Grows everywhere in America except extreme desert, poor soil no problem, in fact it enriches the soil if you leave the big roots in the ground to rot for organic matter.

                Most of the lambs quarters we eat are just the thinnings, since Mother Nature plants 100 seeds where one plant would be plenty. Snip the tops off the seedlings and steam, stir fry, or put them in soups and casseroles. I dehydrated about a bushel of the stuff last spring, we are still eating "mysterious green powder" in a lot of recipes!

                If you leave a few plants, spaced far apart, to grow to full size, you'll have a little Christmas tree with billions of seeds to save for next year. I actually have never planted any, it just sprouts all over the yard and we eat the "weeds" from lawn and flowerbeds. In fact, I toss most of it over the fence for the wildlife, the deer especially love it.

                I have seen the seeds for sale in Nichol's Garden Nursery catalog.

                The other "wild" greens in our garden are leaf lettuce and Italian parsley, which I planted many years ago, allowing a few plants to go to seed and then rearranging my garden plan around wherever they sprout next season. We usually have more greens to eat in winter (our rainy season), while summer brings fruits and veggies that like hot sun.

                Chickweed, dead nettles, wild mustard, parsley, cilantro, wild lettuce. all these crops grow with not help from humans, and in fact help keep bugs away from your regular garden. Heirloom tomatoes can be a good "weed" too, and we often have green beans growing in odd places along the fenceline where I did not plant them.

                In 40 years of observing wild foods and meds, I have learned that whatever is blooming is usually the cure for whatever ailments are going around at any given thyme.....isn't Nature sweet?

                Get yourself a book on edible wild plants, a good herbal with Latin names, and few books on native wildflowers in your area, you'll be surprised at how many plants are in two or more of these books, that's how I taught myself.

                ~Traveler in Thyme~
                Marcia Cash, Blanco County, Texas Hill Country, zone 8-9
              • Phil
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 14, 2011
                  Thank you! What a great response!

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "travelerinthyme" <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:

                  > This is one of my favourite subjects: wild greens!
                  >
                  > Here in Texas we have been in the worst drought since the 1950's , with record-breaking heat and cold spells. Even though I did not irrigate one drop for more than a year, our garden was full of "weeds", many of which were edible or medicinal.
                  >
                  > Our favourite wild veggie is "chenopodium", aka lambs quarters or goosefoot, which tastes a lot like spinach when cooked, though it's a bit dry and tough when raw. Grows everywhere in America except extreme desert, poor soil no problem, in fact it enriches the soil if you leave the big roots in the ground to rot for organic matter.
                  >
                  > Most of the lambs quarters we eat are just the thinnings, since Mother Nature plants 100 seeds where one plant would be plenty. Snip the tops off the seedlings and steam, stir fry, or put them in soups and casseroles. I dehydrated about a bushel of the stuff last spring, we are still eating "mysterious green powder" in a lot of recipes!
                  >
                  > If you leave a few plants, spaced far apart, to grow to full size, you'll have a little Christmas tree with billions of seeds to save for next year. I actually have never planted any, it just sprouts all over the yard and we eat the "weeds" from lawn and flowerbeds. In fact, I toss most of it over the fence for the wildlife, the deer especially love it.
                  >
                  > I have seen the seeds for sale in Nichol's Garden Nursery catalog.
                  >
                  > The other "wild" greens in our garden are leaf lettuce and Italian parsley, which I planted many years ago, allowing a few plants to go to seed and then rearranging my garden plan around wherever they sprout next season. We usually have more greens to eat in winter (our rainy season), while summer brings fruits and veggies that like hot sun.
                  >
                  > Chickweed, dead nettles, wild mustard, parsley, cilantro, wild lettuce. all these crops grow with not help from humans, and in fact help keep bugs away from your regular garden. Heirloom tomatoes can be a good "weed" too, and we often have green beans growing in odd places along the fenceline where I did not plant them.
                  >
                  > In 40 years of observing wild foods and meds, I have learned that whatever is blooming is usually the cure for whatever ailments are going around at any given thyme.....isn't Nature sweet?
                  >
                  > Get yourself a book on edible wild plants, a good herbal with Latin names, and few books on native wildflowers in your area, you'll be surprised at how many plants are in two or more of these books, that's how I taught myself.
                  >
                  > ~Traveler in Thyme~
                  > Marcia Cash, Blanco County, Texas Hill Country, zone 8-9

                • Michael Porter
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 15, 2011
                    Chaya Leaves, in warm climates?[areas with no frost]