Re: Cleft Grafting chesnut trees

  • Stephanie
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
      Hi Frank,

      Thank you for the email I really appreciate it and they do sound like a great chesnut variety. North Wales is a pretty long way for us to go though and I have 3 young boys so not an easy thing to do. Would you consider posting them? We could pay you postage and something for the scions/bareroot trees? 30 would be plenty to turn our chesnuts round.

      Thanks alot,

      Steph Hirtenstein

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, fran k <frank_bowman@...> wrote:

      > Hi Stephanie.
      >
      > I grow sweet chestnuts from very fruitful northern trees. The avenue of them sheds nuts every year. They are the only sweet chestnuts which do in that town. They are so good.
      >
      > I have about 30 plants left of the 600 I grew this year. They should be good for using as scions? 3" long.
      >
      > Otherwise I expect youd be allright to cut
      > some scions from the actual trees. Its north wales, so they are good fruiting this far north, but given the cost of sweet chestnuts it could be worth the trip. They should be shedding their nuts about now, so I should be doing my yearly collecting soon.
      >
      > Frank
      >

      > On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:29 GMT Stephanie wrote:
      >
      > >Hello,
      > >
      > >We are a Penzance (Cornwall UK) based project looking for someone to either run a workshop on cleft grafting chesnut trees or source scion material from a heavy cropping chesnut species so we can have a go ourselves.
      > >
      > >We have a few native chesnuts on our site that we would like to coppice then try some cleft grafting to see if we can improve our chances of lots of nuts!
      > >
      > >If anyone can help either in providing the training or scion material please get in touch with me. We have some funding to do this late winter/early spring next year. And yes I have tried Agroforestry Trust but he needs all his material:)
      > >
      > >With Thanks,
      > >
      > >Stephanie Hirtenstein

    • fran k
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
        Hi Stephanie,

        Yes Ill send the little plants. Today I looked and there are 20 left.

        Ive got about 40 or so others in pots for us, as I plan to cleft graft them onto the trees that weve already got planted which were from Monmouth, and wont be good fruiters. For that Ill probably leave them in the pots through winter till then.

        The scions from the big trees will have to wait till I go seed collecting, end of the week, but youd probably not want them till jan,feb?, so as to graft them around march april?
        Send me an address to send to.
        Frank.

        On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 10:48 GMT Stephanie wrote:

        >Hi Frank,
        >
        >Thank you for the email I really appreciate it and they do sound like a great chesnut variety. North Wales is a pretty long way for us to go though and I have 3 young boys so not an easy thing to do. Would you consider posting them? We could pay you postage and something for the scions/bareroot trees? 30 would be plenty to turn our chesnuts round.
        >
        >Thanks alot,
        >
        >Steph Hirtenstein
        >
        >--- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, fran k <frank_bowman@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi Stephanie.
        >>
        >> I grow sweet chestnuts from very fruitful northern trees. The avenue of them sheds nuts every year. They are the only sweet chestnuts which do in that town. They are so good.
        >>
        >> I have about 30 plants left of the 600 I grew this year. They should be good for using as scions? 3" long.
        >>
        >> Otherwise I expect youd be allright to cut
        >> some scions from the actual trees. Its north wales, so they are good fruiting this far north, but given the cost of sweet chestnuts it could be worth the trip. They should be shedding their nuts about now, so I should be doing my yearly collecting soon.
        >>
        >> Frank
        >>

        >> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:29 GMT Stephanie wrote:
        >>
        >> >Hello,
        >> >
        >> >We are a Penzance (Cornwall UK) based project looking for someone to either run a workshop on cleft grafting chesnut trees or source scion material from a heavy cropping chesnut species so we can have a go ourselves.
        >> >
        >> >We have a few native chesnuts on our site that we would like to coppice then try some cleft grafting to see if we can improve our chances of lots of nuts!
        >> >
        >> >If anyone can help either in providing the training or scion material please get in touch with me. We have some funding to do this late winter/early spring next year. And yes I have tried Agroforestry Trust but he needs all his material:)
        >> >
        >> >With Thanks,
        >> >
        >> >Stephanie Hirtenstein

      • Stephanie
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
          Thanks Frank,

          We really appreciate this. Address is Chyangwens Farmhouse, St.Buryan, Penzance, TR19 6EH as the project address is PObox in community development centre.

          How much and where to send £?

          Yes we will be grafting next spring well feb time. So these will be great way to get ourselves a decent crop.

          Thanks so much,

          Stephanie

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, fran k <frank_bowman@...> wrote:

          > Hi Stephanie,
          >
          > Yes Ill send the little plants. Today I looked and there are 20 left.
          >
          > Ive got about 40 or so others in pots for us, as I plan to cleft graft them onto the trees that weve already got planted which were from Monmouth, and wont be good fruiters. For that Ill probably leave them in the pots through winter till then.
          >

          > The scions from the big trees will have to wait till I go seed collecting, end of the week, but youd probably not want them till jan,feb?, so as to graft them around march april?
          > Send me an address to send to.
          > Frank.
          >

          > On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 10:48 GMT Stephanie wrote:
          >
          > >Hi Frank,
          > >
          > >Thank you for the email I really appreciate it and they do sound like a great chesnut variety. North Wales is a pretty long way for us to go though and I have 3 young boys so not an easy thing to do. Would you consider posting them? We could pay you postage and something for the scions/bareroot trees? 30 would be plenty to turn our chesnuts round.
          > >
          > >Thanks alot,
          > >
          > >Steph Hirtenstein
          > >
          > >--- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, fran k <frank_bowman@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Hi Stephanie.
          > >>
          > >> I grow sweet chestnuts from very fruitful northern trees. The avenue of them sheds nuts every year. They are the only sweet chestnuts which do in that town. They are so good.
          > >>
          > >> I have about 30 plants left of the 600 I grew this year. They should be good for using as scions? 3" long.
          > >>
          > >> Otherwise I expect youd be allright to cut
          > >> some scions from the actual trees. Its north wales, so they are good fruiting this far north, but given the cost of sweet chestnuts it could be worth the trip. They should be shedding their nuts about now, so I should be doing my yearly collecting soon.
          > >>
          > >> Frank

        • fran k
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2011
            Hi Stephanie,

            I'm sending today. hope I catch the post.

            If you want to pay the postage my address is on the back of the parcel.

            Frank.