Re: [pfaf] Digestion of cellulose in humans

  • Nicole Vosper
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011
      Hey Phil

      Leaf for life is a great resource for info on high nutrient leaf crops: http://www.leafforlife.org/

      They also have a free book to download (or buy in print) called 21st Century Greens that I can't recommend highly enough.

      Many thanks,

      Nicole

      On 28/10/2011 22:58, Phil wrote:

      Hi pfaf,

      I have a question that I was hoping to get answered in this group. Its a bit quarky but very interesting. My question is if humans could digest cellulose as a source of carbohydrates, how would this change what types of crops could be cultivated by humans. Cellulose is a structural carbohydrate present in all tissues of all plants, but is indigestible by humans. As we presently obtain most of our carbohydrates as starch from agriculturally intensive seed, fruit, and tuber crops, would it possible to get all our nutritional requirements (micro- and macro-nutrients) from cultivating and eating only leaves (assuming humans can digest cellulose)? These leaves could be dried and crushed into a powder for easier ingestion and storage. What plants would be suitable as high biomass and high-nutrient leaf crops?

      Thanks!
      Phil V.

    • Phil S
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011
        Thank you for the link to Leaf for Life, I've had one of their leaflets kicking around my place for years and though searching for them several times never found their site until now. Phil S.