Burdock

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
      I`ve harvested some nice Burdock roots,  Arctium lappa.
      Also harvested enought seeds from one plant to supply me the rest of my life !?

      Anyone tried growing - harvesting other wild species, like
      Arctium minor  or Arctium tomentosum  ?

      Anyone have receipts  fro the use of the root to  recommend !?

      Geir Flatabø
    • mIEKAL aND
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
        the notion of saving seed is funny to me, having an old farm & having huge patches of it... harvested truckloads of it & built a huge compost pile of it, thinking as a dynamic accumulator, pulling all that good stuff out of the ground with it's deep taperoot, that it might eventually break down into some very fine compost.

        I only eat first year roots tho, second year root are way too fibrous....

        ~mIEKAL

        On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

        I`ve harvested some nice Burdock roots,  Arctium lappa.

        Also harvested enought seeds from one plant to supply me the rest of my life !?

        Anyone tried growing - harvesting other wild species, like
        Arctium minor  or Arctium tomentosum  ?

        Anyone have receipts  fro the use of the root to  recommend !?
      • Allmende Verden
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
          We tried arctium lappa about 3 years ago and the only cultivated
          varieties we could get hold of from the internet were 'Takinogawa
          Long' and 'Watanabe Early'.
          An average individual of T.´s root weight more than 4 times that of W..
          We had 2 kinds of mulch: Ramial wood-pieces and a kind of thatch.
          Empirically the thatch has more nutrients, but here (as often in
          root-crops) this made no clear difference.

          We had no favour in one of it´s tastes and at all they turned out to
          be less popular than carrot or parsnip. And they also havent made more
          kilograms per squaremeter. So this first try was also the last.

          We´ve got wild goatsbeard in the beds, which is also a nice rootcrop.
          Greetings from Steph

          Zitat von Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>:

          > I`ve harvested some nice Burdock roots, Arctium lappa.
          > Also harvested enought seeds from one plant to supply me the rest of my
          > life !?
          >
          > Anyone tried growing - harvesting other wild species, like
          > Arctium minor or Arctium tomentosum ?
          >
          > Anyone have receipts fro the use of the root to recommend !?
          >
          > Geir Flatabø

          Artilleriestr. 6
          D-27283 Verden
          Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470 (lange aufs Klingeln warten)
          Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
          http://www.allmende.de.vu
        • Allmende Verden
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011

          • ambyagro@yahoo.es
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
              Wich is the best climate zone for burdock? Where an how can we get seeds/cuttings?

              Enviado desde un dispositivo BlackBerry® de Tigo

              From: Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
              Sender: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:40:18 +0100
              ReplyTo: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [pfaf] Burdock

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
                At least wild burdock is growing in the area (of Verden, lower saxony,
                Germany). When you type the latin name and the varieties below into
                google you get some seed-sellers ***Steph

                Zitat von ambyagro@...:

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
                  Know anyone over experiencies with Burdock in tropicals conditions

                  Enviado desde un dispositivo BlackBerry® de Tigo

                  From: Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...>
                  Sender: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 23:58:58 +0100
                  ReplyTo: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

                  At least wild burdock is growing in the area (of Verden, lower saxony,
                  Germany). When you type the latin name and the varieties below into
                  google you get some seed-sellers ***Steph

                  Zitat von ambyagro@...:

                  > Wich is the best climate zone for burdock? Where an how can we get
                  > seeds/cuttings?
                  > Enviado desde un dispositivo BlackBerry® de Tigo

                • Dee Harris
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
                    Southern  Burdock has been known to have more potency than the Northern ones. Please take this into consideration.

                    At least wild burdock is growing in the area (of Verden, lower saxony,
                    Germany). When you type the latin name and the varieties below into
                    google you get some seed-sellers ***Steph

                    Zitat von ambyagro@...:

                    > Wich is the best climate zone for burdock? Where an how can we get
                    > seeds/cuttings?
                    > Enviado desde un dispositivo BlackBerry® de Tigo

                  • Nicole Vosper