Re: [pfaf] Digestion of cellulose in humans

  • fran k
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2011
      Hi Phil,

      The last I read about cellulose was that this is the biofuel 'golden egg.' and work and research is still ongoing into trying to find a way of converting it to be used as biofuel as that would totally widen the base to include all plants, not just single crops.

      All I know about cellulose otherwise is it is to tough and hard for the body to digest and its known as fibre or roughage that goes straight through the body.

      A lot of intensive work on alternative foods was done during the 2nd world war, by Magnus Pike (a 70's gangly tv character with a funny voice and wavy hands, totally unselfconscious)and team, they did all sorts of work including alternative milks like rice milk and pea milk. And such like. I would have thought experiments must have been done on cellulose then as they developed green leaf curd, a nutricious leaf 'cheese'.

      Frank

      On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:58 BST Phil wrote:

      >Hi pfaf,
      >
      >I have a question that I was hoping to get answered in this group. Its a bit quarky but very interesting. My question is if humans could digest cellulose as a source of carbohydrates, how would this change what types of crops could be cultivated by humans. Cellulose is a structural carbohydrate present in all tissues of all plants, but is indigestible by humans. As we presently obtain most of our carbohydrates as starch from agriculturally intensive seed, fruit, and tuber crops, would it possible to get all our nutritional requirements (micro- and macro-nutrients) from cultivating and eating only leaves (assuming humans can digest cellulose)? These leaves could be dried and crushed into a powder for easier ingestion and storage. What plants would be suitable as high biomass and high-nutrient leaf crops?
      >
      >Thanks!
      >Phil V.

    • Michael Porter
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2011
        tricoderma veride  [spelled wrong I am sure] renders cellulose into a sugar that can be fermented-- [digested]  - I wonder---

[...]

      • Nicole Vosper
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011
          Hey Phil

          Leaf for life is a great resource for info on high nutrient leaf crops: http://www.leafforlife.org/

          They also have a free book to download (or buy in print) called 21st Century Greens that I can't recommend highly enough.

          Many thanks,

          Nicole

          On 28/10/2011 22:58, Phil wrote:

[...]

        • Phil S
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2011
            Thank you for the link to Leaf for Life, I've had one of their leaflets kicking around my place for years and though searching for them several times never found their site until now. Phil S.