Chenopodium - oxalic acid

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
      Hi there,

      I believe heat breaks down oxalic acid.. anyone care to confirm?

      Peace,

      Steve.

      --
      "All that is gold does not glitter,
      Not all those who wander are lost;

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2011
        Oxalic acid is very stable,
        Heat will not break it down,
        cooking in lot of water will dissolve some of it,
        Calcium and Mg will bind some,  and reduce gut absorption,
        fermenting with  probiotics, Oxalobacter or VSL#3 will reduce oxalic acid content significantly.

        Geir Flatabø

        2011/10/2 Steve <permalove@...>

        Hi there,

        I believe heat breaks down oxalic acid.. anyone care to confirm?

        Peace,

        Steve.

        --
        "All that is gold does not glitter,
        Not all those who wander are lost;
        The old that is strong does not wither,
        From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
        A light from the shadows shall spring;
        Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
        The crownless again shall be king."
        ~  J.R.R. Tolkien

      • travelerinthyme
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
          <LOL> Long before you eat enough lambs quarters to give you oxalic acid poisoning, you will be tired of eating them, and your poop will turn green!

          If it were the ONLY veggie you ate, perhaps you'd have a problem, but how much spinach do you like, anyway?

          As long as you eat all your other colours every day: red, brown, yellow, orange, you probably won't overdose on green.

          I just lost a couple of molars, and have difficulty chewing, so the "mysterious green powder" has really come in handy, added to soups and omelettes. Yesterday I made soup with brown rice and overcooked frozen mixed veggies, put thru the blender to make "cream of veggie soup" and feel completely nourished, with the addition of a bit of cheese and a cup of hot tea. Being a toothless old hag is a drag!

          ~Traveler in Thyme
          Blanco, TX hot and dry
        • inverse
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
            On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM, travelerinthyme <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:

            <LOL> Long before you eat enough lambs quarters to give you oxalic acid poisoning, you will be tired of eating them, and your poop will turn green!

            If it were the ONLY veggie you ate, perhaps you'd have a problem, but how much spinach do you like, anyway?

            Well, a quick lookup of scientific literature reveals there are no known cases of oxalic acid poisoning from chenopodiums.

            So, Sir, you are right!

          • Francis S
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
              IF making wine
              Chalk( calcium carbonate or limestone the stuff found in tums)

              will drop it out of susppension
              (it also drops Tartaric acid found in grapes,
              but not malic or citric found in most other fruit like Rhubarb (with malic acid)

              You can get poisoned from Rhubarb wine,
              because your concentrating it
              IF you make a gallon of Rhubarb wine
              your using (6 pounds per gallon Or even less)

              Rhubarb stalks has it in Mine ute quanities
              (I have a web site for a reference, and experience from the poisoning)
              we are talking about 6 pounds (or 4 lbs ) in a day
              so I wouldn't worry about rhubarb pie

              anyways if you drink to much the next day
              your arms which you may lift a few inches
              will feel as if weights are weighing them down
              (I mean you can barly move)
              you may feel hot, extermly tierd, but cannot sleep
              (this can (has) last 10 hours or longer)

              I layyed down for 3 hours instead of getting up to use the bathroom
              After holding it I decided to finally build up the momentum,
              and lunge myself out of bed.

              Calcium works with Vitamin b In your body
              oxalic acid prevents you from absorbing calcium,

              your body needs calcium to take in Vitamin b
              or I think it's the other way around.
              without Vitamin b you cannot absorb Calcium

              I know one thing the day after I drink (alcohol in general)
              I feel my body get better after drinking milk,
              and they say taking vitamin b before drinking is good on your body
              at least they say alcohol depletes the body of Vitamin B
              (but I believe it, thats just me though)

              Wine yeast like vitamin b to grow stronger healthy,
              but they never let me down. with Rhubarb wine.

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Steve <permalove@...> wrote:

              > Hi there,
              >
              > I believe heat breaks down oxalic acid.. anyone care to confirm?
              >
              > Peace,
              >
              > Steve.
              >

              > --
              > *"All that is gold does not glitter,* *Not all those who wander are lost;*
              > *The old that is strong does not wither,* *Deep roots are not reached by the
              > frost.* *From the ashes a fire shall be woken,* *A light from the shadows
              > shall spring;* *Renewed shall be blade that was broken,*
              > *The crownless again shall be king."*
              > ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

            • orb orb