Re: [pfaf] chenopodium, aka goosefoot, lambs quarters

  • inverse
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2011
      On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Infowolf1 <Infowolf1@...> wrote:

      what's the vitamins minerals content?

      very high in vitamin C, extremetly high in vitamin A, high in the B family.
      Mineral: very high in calcium, phosphorous and iron.

      The aminoacid distribution is almost perfect. I'll soon post a reference with a detailed aminoacid analysis of chenopodium album seeds.
      The pfaf entry for C. Album  reports more data.

    • inverse
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2011
        On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM, orb orb <orb1806@...> wrote:

        Don't overdo it chenopodium has oxalic acid in it (like rhubarb, sorrol and spinage) so if you eat a lot them all you coulld find yourself with problems.

        Although there are no know cases of poisoning in the scientific literature, the oxalic acid content could be of concern to those suffering of kidney diseases.
        However chenopodium leaves are usually eaten after cooking and this practice is known to remove most oxalic acid and oxalates from the edible matter.
        I've read of a case where eating very large amounts of chenopodium leaves produced laxative effects, but this is inconclusive to say the least.

        One this is clear, small amounts of raw fresh leaves (around 100g) can't do any harm and due to their very high vitamin C content are particularly beneficial.

        One analysis reports this:
        ascorbic acid (vitamin C) amounts from 220.97 to 377.65 mg / 100g of leaves and β-carotene content was 19.00 to 24.64 mg/100 g.
        Another source reports 155mg of ascorbic acid.

        This means 50 gram of leaves give much more than the daily recommended dosage of vitamin C!

        I also forgot to mention the high levels of potassium within the seeds and leaves.