Re: [pfaf] chenopodium, aka goosefoot, lambs quarters

  • Infowolf1
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2011
      what's the vitamins minerals content?

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>
      To: pfaf <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wed, Sep 28, 2011 5:04 am
      Subject: Re: [pfaf] chenopodium, aka goosefoot, lambs quarters

      Fascinating indeed,
      as in "wet Norway " it grows everywhere as a weed far north of polar Circle....

      Geir Flatabø

      2011/9/28 travelerinthyme <traveler.in.thyme@...>
      Chenopodium, aka goosefoot or lambs quarters, is my favourite "weed".  We have chenopodium alba growing wild here in the Central Texas Hill Country, where it is still alive in the shady spots even though we have only had 3" of rain in the past year, and the temps have been over 100 degrees more than 25% of the days.  Here it is the last of Sept, 101 in the shade, but in the shade, the lambs quarters are scrawny but going to seed.

      In fact, they were quite abundant early in the spring, when I harvested them by the armload and put them thru the dehydrator, making several coffee cans full of "mysterious green powder" that has enhanced everything from omelettes to rice and beans all this dead, dry summer when everything else, even the cactus, dried up and died.

      We are zone 8-9, 1200 ft elevation, here in Blanco County, but as far as I know, chenopodium will grow anywhere in any of the 8 eco zones of Texas, all the way to Minnesota and Wisconsin, which are zone 6-7 or colder.

      It's terrible raw, being tough and dry, but excellent steamed or sauteed, used like spinach in any recipe.   It sure has kept me alive this year.

      ~Traveler in Thyme, running on empty

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
         pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • orb orb

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2011
          I would suppose the vitamin/mineral content is akin to spinach, all those dark leafy green goodies.

          ~Traveler in Thyme
        • inverse
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2011
            On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Infowolf1 <Infowolf1@...> wrote:

            what's the vitamins minerals content?

            very high in vitamin C, extremetly high in vitamin A, high in the B family.
            Mineral: very high in calcium, phosphorous and iron.

            The aminoacid distribution is almost perfect. I'll soon post a reference with a detailed aminoacid analysis of chenopodium album seeds.
            The pfaf entry for C. Album  reports more data.

          • inverse
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 29, 2011
              On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM, orb orb <orb1806@...> wrote:

              Don't overdo it chenopodium has oxalic acid in it (like rhubarb, sorrol and spinage) so if you eat a lot them all you coulld find yourself with problems.

              Although there are no know cases of poisoning in the scientific literature, the oxalic acid content could be of concern to those suffering of kidney diseases.
              However chenopodium leaves are usually eaten after cooking and this practice is known to remove most oxalic acid and oxalates from the edible matter.
              I've read of a case where eating very large amounts of chenopodium leaves produced laxative effects, but this is inconclusive to say the least.

              One this is clear, small amounts of raw fresh leaves (around 100g) can't do any harm and due to their very high vitamin C content are particularly beneficial.

              One analysis reports this:
              ascorbic acid (vitamin C) amounts from 220.97 to 377.65 mg / 100g of leaves and β-carotene content was 19.00 to 24.64 mg/100 g.
              Another source reports 155mg of ascorbic acid.

              This means 50 gram of leaves give much more than the daily recommended dosage of vitamin C!

              I also forgot to mention the high levels of potassium within the seeds and leaves.

            • inverse
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 29, 2011
                On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

                Fascinating indeed,
                as in "wet Norway " it grows everywhere as a weed far north of polar Circle....

                Geir:
                I've been in Nordland this summer and I can confirm that. By the way, I fell in love with the Lofoten islands, particularly with Flakstad and Moskenes..
                I also wonder why chenopodium had been globally abandoned as a seed source. Its incredible adaptability and very high seed production would indeed be beneficial :\
                Within 1 month I'll have the seed yield data for my chenopodium plots available for posting :D
                some plants peaked near 4 meters of height and are now recumbent due to the weight of their seeds XD
                (by the end of october / mid november they'll be ready to harvest)

              • inverse
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 29, 2011
                  On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 3:23 PM, travelerinthyme <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:

                  Chenopodium, aka goosefoot or lambs quarters, is my favourite "weed". We have chenopodium alba growing wild here in the Central Texas Hill Country, where it is still alive in the shady spots even though we have only had 3" of rain in the past year, and the temps have been over 100 degrees more than 25% of the days. Here it is the last of Sept, 101 in the shade, but in the shade, the lambs quarters are scrawny but going to seed.

                   The drought resistance of chenopodiums is notoriously extraordinary.
                  Here we had repeated periods of high temperature and no rain, some as long as 1-1.5 months, while most grasses withered the chenopodiums didn't show any visible stress. Actually, along with taraxacum officinale, C. album has been the only other plant that didn't need any kind of watering, ever.
                  Your specimens, however, are legendary :D