RE: [pfaf] Looking for bigger seeds and flimsier cones to develop alder as a grain crop

  • Elaine Sommers
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
      Hi Michael, I understand what you say about the main purpose being to feed people. But when you listed all the qualities of the alder you didn't just include the aspect of food, so I thought I would add some more. The more qualities a plant has the more valuable a resourse it becomes. In the future we may all have to hark back to less used methods of healing ourselves. If, as a by-product of alder production, you can you other aspects of the tree then that is all to the good.

      I class myself more as animist / shamanic rather than wiccan, but I seem to be gathering quite a few friends who support and / or practise various aspects of the wiccan religion. I hope that in all my interactions with other people I wish upon them blessings and peace, regardless of my or their spiritual beliefs.

      Blessings,
      Elaine.

      ". . . the greatest peril of life lies in the fact that human food consists entirely of souls. All the creatures that we have to kill to eat, all those that we have to strike down and destroy to make clothes for ourselves, have souls, souls that do not perish with the body . . . All that exists lives."

      from 'Shaman, the wounded healer' by J. Halifax, 1982

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      From: michael@...
      Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:36:58 +0100
      Subject: RE: [pfaf] Looking for bigger seeds and flimsier cones to develop alder as a grain crop

      Elaine

      I did know this, the main objective is to feed people and for that we
      need BIGGER.

      But other qualities are important too. Is it possible to cut off and
      analyse part of a seed without killing the seed? Surely if the seed is
      big enough. For the rather distant future I have in mind a vibratory
      feeder, such as you get in factories for presenting screws and bolt,
      which presents the seed, 1/second, lined up, the machine lowers a tiny
      hot plate onto the tip (not the root) of the cotyledon and cooks it. A
      mass spectrometer detects whether anything unusual has been found, and
      if it has, it puts that seed aside. With chilled seeds, it might work.
      There is no way of knowing what might be found.

      Thank you for your blessings. Are you a Wicca?

      Michael Bell

      In message <BAY151-W14C5E5D5D0AC7554116D77D1F00@...>
      Elaine Sommers <elainesommers@...> wrote:

      > In herbalism the bark and leaves of alnus glutinosa can be used as a
      > decoction for sore throats, pharyngitis and, with golden seal, for
      > dyspepsia.

      > Blessings,
      > Elaine.

      > ". . . the greatest peril of life lies in the fact that human food
      > consists entirely of souls. All the creatures that we have to kill to
      > eat, all those that we have to strike down and destroy to make clothes
      > for ourselves, have souls, souls that do not perish with the body . .
      > . All that exists lives."

      > from 'Shaman, the wounded healer' by J. Halifax, 1982

      New Scientist discusses the possibility of cultured, laboratory-grown
      meant. Including human meat!

      Michael Bell