Re: [pfaf] Looking for bigger seeds and flimsier cones to develop alder as a grain crop

  • Michael Bell
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2011
      In message <CAM1dQ5mjJmYGJtvFFzU4JhnFm6WDX3NhSOaNA4HyjxLWERa60w@mail.g
      mail.com>
      inverse <inverse@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Michael Bell
      > <michael@...>wrote:

      >> **
      >>

      >> I have a project to develop alder (Alnus glutinosa) as a grain crop.
      >> My reasons for this are:-
      >>
      >> Britain cannot feed itself because half its land is too high and cold
      >> for grain production. This is not because this land is infertile, the
      >> tree-line is much higher than the crop line. It is because the main
      >> grain crops originated in the Mediterranean and they are at the limit
      >>
      > Hi Michael,

      > I find your project fascinating. I wish you success!

      Thank you!

      >> * It is a tree; it can be more productive than a herb crop.
      >>

      > * It fixes nitrogen. Nitrate fertilisers are expensive and a big
      >> source of CO2 production.
      >> * It is a tree, once established it is insensitive to weather
      >> variations.
      >> * It is a tree, it does not need weeding and chemical weedkilling.
      >>

      >> I've got to agree with you. My problem is growing food without the aid of
      > chemistry and fossil fuels (most nitrogen-based fertilisers require methane
      > for their synthesis), chestnuts grow fine at my premises but are being hit
      > by dryocosmus kuriphilus.
      > I still don't know if my particular trees are resistant enough to survive
      > the infestation, this year they did fine and produced a lot but I can't
      > trust them too much. I've already noticed two smaller dead branches.
      > Therefore I'm looking forward to growing annual and perennial herbaceous
      > plants too.

      My methods sift through very large numbers. That's important for
      breeding purposes.

      > One question, does chenopodium album grow fine on the highlands too?
      > I've found it in the Alps up to 1200-1500m.

      > Regards,
      > Inverse

      Chenopodium album http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenopodium_album does
      grow on ploughed land at 180 M in the Cheviot hills (the hills which
      form the border between England and Scotland) but I've never seen it
      higher, but that is probably because land any higher is not usually
      ploughed and the ground is normally thickly covered by grass and
      heather. But now you have put the point to me, I do know of farms at
      320 M, so next time I go past I will have a look. Britain is not a
      country of mountains, rather it has a lot of hills.

      Regards

      Michael Bell

      --
    • Elaine Sommers
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
        Hi Michael, I understand what you say about the main purpose being to feed people. But when you listed all the qualities of the alder you didn't just include the aspect of food, so I thought I would add some more. The more qualities a plant has the more valuable a resourse it becomes. In the future we may all have to hark back to less used methods of healing ourselves. If, as a by-product of alder production, you can you other aspects of the tree then that is all to the good.

        I class myself more as animist / shamanic rather than wiccan, but I seem to be gathering quite a few friends who support and / or practise various aspects of the wiccan religion. I hope that in all my interactions with other people I wish upon them blessings and peace, regardless of my or their spiritual beliefs.

        Blessings,
        Elaine.

        ". . . the greatest peril of life lies in the fact that human food consists entirely of souls. All the creatures that we have to kill to eat, all those that we have to strike down and destroy to make clothes for ourselves, have souls, souls that do not perish with the body . . . All that exists lives."

        from 'Shaman, the wounded healer' by J. Halifax, 1982

        To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
        From: michael@...
        Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:36:58 +0100
        Subject: RE: [pfaf] Looking for bigger seeds and flimsier cones to develop alder as a grain crop

        Elaine

        I did know this, the main objective is to feed people and for that we
        need BIGGER.

        But other qualities are important too. Is it possible to cut off and
        analyse part of a seed without killing the seed? Surely if the seed is
        big enough. For the rather distant future I have in mind a vibratory
        feeder, such as you get in factories for presenting screws and bolt,
        which presents the seed, 1/second, lined up, the machine lowers a tiny
        hot plate onto the tip (not the root) of the cotyledon and cooks it. A
        mass spectrometer detects whether anything unusual has been found, and
        if it has, it puts that seed aside. With chilled seeds, it might work.
        There is no way of knowing what might be found.

        Thank you for your blessings. Are you a Wicca?

        Michael Bell

        In message <BAY151-W14C5E5D5D0AC7554116D77D1F00@...>
        Elaine Sommers <elainesommers@...> wrote:

        > In herbalism the bark and leaves of alnus glutinosa can be used as a
        > decoction for sore throats, pharyngitis and, with golden seal, for
        > dyspepsia.

        > Blessings,
        > Elaine.

        > ". . . the greatest peril of life lies in the fact that human food
        > consists entirely of souls. All the creatures that we have to kill to
        > eat, all those that we have to strike down and destroy to make clothes
        > for ourselves, have souls, souls that do not perish with the body . .
        > . All that exists lives."

        > from 'Shaman, the wounded healer' by J. Halifax, 1982

        New Scientist discusses the possibility of cultured, laboratory-grown
        meant. Including human meat!

        Michael Bell