Re: [pfaf] Re: Digest Number 309

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2004
      eowynn55 wrote:

      > Yes, although it's Cannibus sativa not inebrians(Alium sativa=garlic)
      > just to confuse us all.
      >
      > Sinensis means from the east, I believe. Sativa usually means it's a
      > food product. A lot of the names refer to properties.....but I
      > haven't found a list yet! That would be a great find.

      There two places you could find such a thing

      The Dictionary of Botanical Epitaths
      http://www.winternet.com/~chuckg/dictionary.html
      has big list of the meanings of the epitath (last bit of latin name).

      The Pfaf database http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html
      has been crossed referenced with the above. So you can see the
      meaning of the name when you look it up in the database.

      Hence we have:

      Epithets: From a Dictionary of Botanical Epithets
      sativa = cultivated;

      Hope that helps

      Rich

      --