Caragana arborescens - Pea Tree

  • geri.verasco
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2011
      I live in Pennsylvania with clay soil. Just planted a Caragana/Pea Tree last year about 4 feet tall with a about 4 inches of leaves on many branches at the top of the tree. This year, although that little clump at the top had flowers, it doesnt seem to be growing fast/weeping. How long before it will grow to ground? Thanks
    • travelerinthyme
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2011
        Most perennials take about 3 years to fill out and mature after transplanting. The first year is spent establishing root system, the second year growing, and the third year is more productive.

        We are having dead drought here, second year, so all our trees will die by next year if we don't get some rain. First year, they looked OK, this year they are very stressed, next year, goodbye?

        Everyone everywhere has had weird weather this year!

        ~Traveler in Thyme
        Blanco, TX zone 8-9

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "geri.verasco" <geri.verasco@...> wrote:

        > I live in Pennsylvania with clay soil. Just planted a Caragana/Pea Tree last year about 4 feet tall with a about 4 inches of leaves on many branches at the top of the tree. This year, although that little clump at the top had flowers, it doesnt seem to be growing fast/weeping. How long before it will grow to ground? Thanks

      • Allmende Verden
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 25, 2011
          Hi,
          our c.a.´s grew from 30cm hight in 2001 to more than 2m today. They
          started bearing a few pods in 2004. We have sandy loam, for climate
          take a look at our hp, where is a climate diagram.
          greets from Steph

          Zitat von "geri.verasco" <geri.verasco@...>:

          > I live in Pennsylvania with clay soil. Just planted a Caragana/Pea
          > Tree last year about 4 feet tall with a about 4 inches of leaves on
          > many branches at the top of the tree. This year, although that
          > little clump at the top had flowers, it doesnt seem to be growing
          > fast/weeping. How long before it will grow to ground? Thanks

          Artilleriestr. 6
          D-27283 Verden
          Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470 (lange aufs Klingeln warten)
          Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
          http://www.allmende.de.vu
        • mIEKAL aND
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 25, 2011
            On clay loam & silt loam, they grow 2 meters in 5 years here.  My oldest trees are over 4 meters high after 12 years.

            ~mIEKAL