Re: Sedum Acre

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2011
      Thanks very much, Matthew and Steph!

      I know that Sedum Acre has a strong, hot taste (and that is why one of its common names in the UK is 'biting stonecrop'), but what I was curious about was the statement that Sedums with yellow flowers might all have that taste.

      The reason I ask is that I help to run a website devoted to plants that are suitable or unsuitable to feed to tortoises ( http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ ), and as far as we knew the only Sedum that was unsuitable to feed was Sedum Acre.

      I know that tortoises will eat and like Sedum reflexum/Sedum rupestre (and of course those are yellow flowers), so I was surprised to hear that it might also apply to Sedums other than Sedum acre. And of course there are some plants that are safe for tortoises to eat that aren't good for humans or other mammals and vice versa.

      Thanks so much for the book references -- I'll try and get hold of them.

      Update -- I've got both Sedum acre and Sedum reflexum in my garden and I've just been out and tasted them: Sedum acre is very hot/peppery but Sedum reflexum is not. :-)-- but I'm still curious about the implication in the PFAF entry that all Sedums with yellow flowers could cause stomach upsets if eaten in quantity.

      Nina