Re: [pfaf] Sedum Acre

  • Matthew Sleigh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2011
      It seems that Crassulaceae with yellow flowers are known for this.

      There are references for a similar statement regarding Sedum reflexum:

      Elias. T. and Dykeman. P. A Field Guide to N. American Edible Wild Plants.
      Very readable.

      Harrington. H. D. Edible Native Plants of the Rocky Mountains.
      A superb book. Very readable, it gives the results of the authors
      experiments with native edible plants.

      I have not checked the sources :)

      All the best,
      Matthew

      Matthew Sleigh
      P-2, North Poblacion
      Don Carlos, Bukidnon
      8712
      Philippines

      matthew@...
      http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
      fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

      On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Nina <lepinsky2000@...> wrote:
      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > I've been using the PFAF database for a long time, but have only just joined the forum.  I wonder if anyone can answer a question for me about the PFAF entry for Sedum Acre:  http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Sedum+acre
      >
      > The entry contains this sentence:
      > "The flowers are yellow which suggests that in quantity the leaves can cause stomach upsets."
      > Usually when a statement like this is made there is a reference to a footnote giving details of the source of the statement.  I had known about the piperidine alkaloid in Sedum Acre that makes it unplalatable and could cause stomach problems or skin reactions, but Sedum is a large genus, with many species having yellow flowers.  And to say that yellow flowers indicate possible stomach upsets is new to me and I wonder where this came from.
      >
      > Many thanks,
      > Nina

    • Allmende Verden
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2011
        I´ve already tasted s.acre and besides it´s so hot that it hurts my
        mouth I´m not sure wether it also hurts the stomach.
        But s.rupestre you can eat in quantities without a problem. It´s very
        vital on our sandy soil, a successful groundcover and perfectly
        wintergreen in zone 7. Raw it tastes strong an interesting, decently
        astringend, cooked it´s very mild.
        greetings from Steph

        Zitat von Matthew Sleigh <matthew@...>:

        > It seems that Crassulaceae with yellow flowers are known for this.
        >
        > There are references for a similar statement regarding Sedum reflexum:
        >
        > Elias. T. and Dykeman. P. A Field Guide to N. American Edible Wild Plants.
        > Very readable.
        >
        > Harrington. H. D. Edible Native Plants of the Rocky Mountains.
        > A superb book. Very readable, it gives the results of the authors
        > experiments with native edible plants.
        >
        > I have not checked the sources :)
        >
        > All the best,
        > Matthew
        >
        > Matthew Sleigh
        > P-2, North Poblacion
        > Don Carlos, Bukidnon
        > 8712
        > Philippines
        >
        > matthew@...
        > http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
        > fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39
        >

        > On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Nina <lepinsky2000@...> wrote:
        >> Hi Everyone,
        >>
        >> I've been using the PFAF database for a long time, but have only
        >> just joined the forum.  I wonder if anyone can answer a question
        >> for me about the PFAF entry for Sedum Acre:
        >>  http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Sedum+acre
        >>
        >> The entry contains this sentence:
        >> "The flowers are yellow which suggests that in quantity the leaves
        >> can cause stomach upsets."
        >> Usually when a statement like this is made there is a reference to
        >> a footnote giving details of the source of the statement.  I had
        >> known about the piperidine alkaloid in Sedum Acre that makes it
        >> unplalatable and could cause stomach problems or skin reactions,
        >> but Sedum is a large genus, with many species having yellow
        >> flowers.  And to say that yellow flowers indicate possible stomach
        >> upsets is new to me and I wonder where this came from.
        >>
        >> Many thanks,
        >> Nina

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470 (lange aufs Klingeln warten)
        Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
        http://www.allmende.de.vu
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2011
          Thanks very much, Matthew and Steph!

          I know that Sedum Acre has a strong, hot taste (and that is why one of its common names in the UK is 'biting stonecrop'), but what I was curious about was the statement that Sedums with yellow flowers might all have that taste.

          The reason I ask is that I help to run a website devoted to plants that are suitable or unsuitable to feed to tortoises ( http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ ), and as far as we knew the only Sedum that was unsuitable to feed was Sedum Acre.

          I know that tortoises will eat and like Sedum reflexum/Sedum rupestre (and of course those are yellow flowers), so I was surprised to hear that it might also apply to Sedums other than Sedum acre. And of course there are some plants that are safe for tortoises to eat that aren't good for humans or other mammals and vice versa.

          Thanks so much for the book references -- I'll try and get hold of them.

          Update -- I've got both Sedum acre and Sedum reflexum in my garden and I've just been out and tasted them: Sedum acre is very hot/peppery but Sedum reflexum is not. :-)-- but I'm still curious about the implication in the PFAF entry that all Sedums with yellow flowers could cause stomach upsets if eaten in quantity.

          Nina