Re: [pfaf] fig trees

  • jayaraman raamachandran
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
      FOR MORE DETAILS:
      SEE
      "HERBS OF SIDDHA MEDICINES",
      WORLD'S FIRST 3 DIMENSIONAL BOOK ON HERBS
      by DR.J.RAAMACHANDRAN
      1323, Valley Vista Drive
      Irving TX75063
      972-444-9080

      From: dennis@... <dennis@...>
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, July 16, 2011, 9:17 AM

      Well then try this site.  There are many types of figs.  Some are hardy down to -13 C, if we believe the ads.

      Dennis

      Date: 7/15/2011 2:38:02 PM

      Well
      the first wither outside went well, because the winter was not too cold,
      and I got 2 ripe figs on a Galbon fig,
      but last winter was bad..

      Geir

      2011/7/15 dennis@... <dennis@...>

      I never imagined that anyone would try to grow figs in Norway!  People have a hard time growing them in North Carolina and it gets hot in in the summer.  Figs are not very tolerant of cold weather.

      Dennis

      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 20, 2011
        Many figs produce better in containers, maybe you can at least start some off in containers.

        What town are you from, so we can look at the climate ?

        All the best,
        Matthew

      • dennis@denniskean.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 20, 2011
          Straw, hay, leaves or long pine needles.  I've used different things every year....  whatever you want, to reduce the wind passing by the individual branch.  You can also put some composting around the base, so that some heat will always be steaming upward keeping the branches several degrees higher.  The point is to reduce the velocity of the air to near zero so that it cannot rob the branches from their heat.  My plants were about 7 feet tall, by the 3rd year.  I used a 6' tall (or wide) fence and round topped it.  It takes between 10' to 15' in length of the 6' fence, depending on how much you trim the fig tree.  If you don't trim it at all then it will take a larger circumference.  6' tall fence wire is pretty cheap.  So, buy a 40' roll.  I bought a 100' roll and have plenty of wire left for other projects.

          By the way. I'm in zone 7.  You may want to use a cloth or plastic around the whole tree all the way down to the ground.  And definitely add a good compost from grass and leaves, well mixed around the bottom of the tree, about 1.5' high.  It will deliver heat continuously.  I would also put some Styrofoam around the bottom to keep the composting from contacting the stems of the bush.  You don't want to burn the tree either, in case the compost mix becomes hot for a period of time.  Figs are well worth the effort, when you get to taste them.

           Dennis

          Dennis, when you say you put a wire fence around the fig plants and filled it tight with hay, covered with an impenetrable cloth or plastic over each of them, and tied with ropes to the floor (ground?) to prevent rain from getting to them, how much hay or straw are you talking about? I often place bales of straw around plants to protect them from winter's wrath, and I am really interested in growing figs here in Zone 5b. Can you provide more details? Is hay better than straw in you experience? How tall were your plants in the 3rd year? How wide is the fence, etc.? Thanks.

          Amit

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

          > Interesting,
          > but he does not send outside Canada !?
          > Geir
          >
          > 2011/7/16 dennis@... <dennis@...>
          >

          > >    Well then try this site.  There are many types of figs.  Some are hardy
          > > down to -13 C, if we believe the ads.
          > >

          > > Dennis

        • Kumar Magar
          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 21, 2011

             we are from Nepal .. 3000 hight from sea.

            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 21, 2011
              Nearest town is Bergen  in Norway,
              althoug here bey me winter temperature is usually lower,  not necessarily colder than minus 15C,   but,  freezing temperatures may keep on for a while....

              Geir

              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 21, 2011
                Dear sir
                 i need paris polyphylla smith's plants .. 20000 pcs for cultivate .. please give me a detail price list .
                Hope you hear soon
                regards
                kumar magar from Nepal

              • BrendasOrganics@aol.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 1, 2011
                  I had a friend growing up whose grandfather grew figs in Chicago. He grew them in the summer and then, when the cold weather began to come in, he would dig up the trees and bury them for the winter. When spring came, he would dig them up and replant them. He did this every year and had fresh figs in Chicago! (A lot of work, but if you've ever had fresh figs off of a tree...you know it is worth it!
                  Brenda

                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 1, 2011
                    I'm about 5 hours north of Chicago.  I grow about a 100 (about 35 varieties) fig trees in a portable orchard.  I let the whole thing go dormant outside in the fall but before the real cold sets in all the containers are packed away in a cool basement.  Been doing it for more than 20 years...  A few people are having success with in ground figs this north by planting them on top of their septic tanks which tend not to freeze in the winter.

                    ~mIEKAL

                    On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:39 AM, <BrendasOrganics@...> wrote:
                    I had a friend growing up whose grandfather grew figs in Chicago. He grew them in the summer and then, when the cold weather began to come in, he would dig up the trees and bury them for the winter. When spring came, he would dig them up and replant them. He did this every year and had fresh figs in Chicago! (A lot of work, but if you've ever had fresh figs off of a tree...you know it is worth it!
                    Brenda
                  • Matthew Sleigh
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 5, 2011
                      Hügelkultur

                      The practice of making raised beds filled with rotting wood. It is in
                      effect creating a Nurse log though covered with dirt. The buried
                      decomposing wood will give off heat, as all compost does, for several
                      years. This effect has been used by Sepp Holzer for one to allow fruit
                      trees to survive at otherwise inhospitable temperatures and altitudes.

                      All the best,
                      Matthew

                      Matthew Sleigh
                      B and T World Seeds