Re: [pfaf] Digest Number 309

  • ben slow
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2004
      The guy tracking down the Lagochilus Inebrians is trying to cultivate a very hard to find drug which you make into a tea. Mostly grown and cultivated in Afghan regions it is very sought after as a seed at the minute. It can be bought from some coffee shops in Amsterdam but the price is very high, hence folk wanting to cultivate it themselves. More interesting for me, does anyone know if the latin part of this plant name 'Inebrians' relates to the word 'Inebriated' ? Is that how the word inebriated came about and hence all plants labelled 'Inebrians' will induce an inebriated state?

      pfaf@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/bAOolB/TM

      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. RE: Lagochilus inebrians
      From: "Hilary Robinson"
      2. Groundnut question
      From: "ellenrowe2004"

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:47:56 +0000
      From: "Hilary Robinson"
      Subject: RE: Lagochilus inebrians

      I'm not familiar with this plant - can you tell us something about it?
      Regards,
      Hilary Robinson

      >From: "aussie_guy129"
      >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [pfaf] Lagochilus inebrians
      >Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:24:57 -0000
      >
      >hi ive been trying find seeds of this plant for a long time and was
      >wondering if neone in here could help me?? if u can please email me
      >at kaleidoscopic__mind@.... thanks all
      >
      >Lachlan

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:18:52 -0000
      From: "ellenrowe2004"
      Subject: Groundnut question

      Hi -
      My family's property in Maine is being taken over by American
      groundnut. I have been reading up on it and realize that it is a
      plant that many people try and cultivate as the tubers are edible,
      but it is acting like kudzu, climbing up young saplings and pulling
      them down and generally creating a canopy over the vegetation
      that we originally planted. It seems to spread so quickly that it is
      impossible to control it by mere weeding (we are not there
      throughout the summer and it grows out of control during our
      abscence)
      Does anyone have any ideas as to how we could either
      eradicate it or control it in as eco-friendly a manner possible?

      Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!

      Ellen Rowe

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • eowynn55
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 16, 2004
        Yes, although it's Cannibus sativa not inebrians(Alium sativa=garlic)
        just to confuse us all.

        Sinensis means from the east, I believe. Sativa usually means it's a
        food product. A lot of the names refer to properties.....but I
        haven't found a list yet! That would be a great find.

        Liz

        P.P.Article on Jimsonweed, including symptoms of accidental exposure
        and ingestion:

        http://www.maripoisoncenter.com/ctr/9512jimsonweed.html

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, ben slow <ben_slow@y...> wrote:
        > The guy tracking down the Lagochilus Inebrians is trying to
        cultivate a very hard to find drug which you make into a tea. Mostly
        grown and cultivated in Afghan regions it is very sought after as a
        seed at the minute. It can be bought from some coffee shops in
        Amsterdam but the price is very high, hence folk wanting to cultivate
        it themselves. More interesting for me, does anyone know if the latin
        part of this plant name 'Inebrians' relates to the
        word 'Inebriated' ? Is that how the word inebriated came about and
        hence all plants labelled 'Inebrians' will induce an inebriated state?

        > There are 2 messages in this issue.
        >
        > Topics in this digest:
        >
        > 1. RE: Lagochilus inebrians
        > From: "Hilary Robinson"
        > 2. Groundnut question
        > From: "ellenrowe2004"

        __

        __

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:47:56 +0000
        > From: "Hilary Robinson"
        > Subject: RE: Lagochilus inebrians
        >
        > I'm not familiar with this plant - can you tell us something about
        it?
        > Regards,
        > Hilary Robinson
        >

        > >From: "aussie_guy129"
        > >To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [pfaf] Lagochilus inebrians
        > >Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:24:57 -0000
        > >
        > >hi ive been trying find seeds of this plant for a long time and was
        > >wondering if neone in here could help me?? if u can please email me
        > >at kaleidoscopic__mind@h... thanks all
        > >
        > >Lachlan

        __

        __

        > Message: 2
        > Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:18:52 -0000
        > From: "ellenrowe2004"
        > Subject: Groundnut question
        >
        > Hi -
        > My family's property in Maine is being taken over by American
        > groundnut. I have been reading up on it and realize that it is a
        > plant that many people try and cultivate as the tubers are edible,
        > but it is acting like kudzu, climbing up young saplings and pulling
        > them down and generally creating a canopy over the vegetation
        > that we originally planted. It seems to spread so quickly that it
        is
        > impossible to control it by mere weeding (we are not there
        > throughout the summer and it grows out of control during our
        > abscence)
        > Does anyone have any ideas as to how we could either
        > eradicate it or control it in as eco-friendly a manner possible?
        >
        > Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!
        >
        > Ellen Rowe

        __

        ----

        > ---------------------------------
        > ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express
        yourself
      • KenFern
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 17, 2004
          A good starting point on the web for the meanings of the Latin names of
          plants is http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pbostock/

> [...]
          > > From: "ellenrowe2004"
          > > Subject: Groundnut question
          > >
          > > Hi -
          > > My family's property in Maine is being taken over by American
          > > groundnut. I have been reading up on it and realize that it is a
          > > plant that many people try and cultivate as the tubers are edible,
          > > but it is acting like kudzu, climbing up young saplings and pulling
          > > them down and generally creating a canopy over the vegetation
          > > that we originally planted. It seems to spread so quickly that it
          > is
          > > impossible to control it by mere weeding (we are not there
          > > throughout the summer and it grows out of control during our
          > > abscence)
          > > Does anyone have any ideas as to how we could either
          > > eradicate it or control it in as eco-friendly a manner possible?
          > >
          > > Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!

        • Richard Morris
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 17, 2004
            eowynn55 wrote:

            > Yes, although it's Cannibus sativa not inebrians(Alium sativa=garlic)
            > just to confuse us all.
            >
            > Sinensis means from the east, I believe. Sativa usually means it's a
            > food product. A lot of the names refer to properties.....but I
            > haven't found a list yet! That would be a great find.

            There two places you could find such a thing

            The Dictionary of Botanical Epitaths
            http://www.winternet.com/~chuckg/dictionary.html
            has big list of the meanings of the epitath (last bit of latin name).

            The Pfaf database http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html
            has been crossed referenced with the above. So you can see the
            meaning of the name when you look it up in the database.

            Hence we have:

            Epithets: From a Dictionary of Botanical Epithets
            sativa = cultivated;

            Hope that helps

            Rich

            --