Re: [pfaf] fig trees

  • dennis@denniskean.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
      Correction...  not centimeters.  Inches 2.5 inches is about 6 cm.  2.5 cm is not able to take the freeze.

      Date: 7/15/2011 2:38:02 PM

      Well
      the first wither outside went well, because the winter was not too cold,
      and I got 2 ripe figs on a Galbon fig,
      but last winter was bad..

      Geir

      2011/7/15 dennis@... <dennis@...>

      I never imagined that anyone would try to grow figs in Norway!  People have a hard time growing them in North Carolina and it gets hot in in the summer.  Figs are not very tolerant of cold weather.

      Dennis

      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
        Well then try this site.  There are many types of figs.  Some are hardy down to -13 C, if we believe the ads.

        Dennis

        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
          hmm, the average minimum winter temperature is -12C in many of the Mediterranean fig growing areas, but this usually only lasts a few hours. If olives survive figs will usually survive better.

          All the best,
          Matthew

          Matthew Sleigh
          Paguignan
          34210 Aigues-Vives
          France

          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011

            Thanks, Dennis. I do more research. Again, thank you.

            Wolf

            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
              That is the thing.
              We dont have too much winter sun,
              more rain ans snow,
              so the clay will not keep on te trungk for too many days...

              Geir

              2011/7/16 Matteo Mazzola <silvanelfo@...>

              Try on painting the tree with clay when it loses the leaves. Paint a layer of liquid clay, leave drying, another layer, and keep on doing this until you reach a good protective insulation.

              Clay has very good characteristic, is able to balance the water-moisture content, and is high in silica which is a good protecting element too. If you want to increase the effectiveness of this protection, mix to the clay some shredded straw or cow manure, kelp seaweed flour and potassium. All have good propriety on regulating the the flow of static sap.

              Plant your fig tree around big black rocks! ... I know you don't have a lot of winter sun but...

              matteo

              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
                Interesting,
                but he does not send outside Canada !?
                Geir

                2011/7/16 dennis@... <dennis@...>

[...]

              • jayaraman raamachandran
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
                  FOR MORE DETAILS:
                  SEE
                  "HERBS OF SIDDHA MEDICINES",
                  WORLD'S FIRST 3 DIMENSIONAL BOOK ON HERBS
                  by DR.J.RAAMACHANDRAN
                  1323, Valley Vista Drive
                  Irving TX75063
                  972-444-9080

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 19, 2011
                    Dennis, when you say you put a wire fence around the fig plants and filled it tight with hay, covered with an impenetrable cloth or plastic over each of them, and tied with ropes to the floor (ground?) to prevent rain from getting to them, how much hay or straw are you talking about? I often place bales of straw around plants to protect them from winter's wrath, and I am really interested in growing figs here in Zone 5b. Can you provide more details? Is hay better than straw in you experience? How tall were your plants in the 3rd year? How wide is the fence, etc.? Thanks.

                    Amit

                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

                    > Interesting,
                    > but he does not send outside Canada !?
                    > Geir
                    >
                    > 2011/7/16 dennis@... <dennis@...>
                    >

                    > > Well then try this site. There are many types of figs. Some are hardy
                    > > down to -13 C, if we believe the ads.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.adrianosfigtrees.com/varieties.html
                    > >
                    > > Dennis

                  • Li Hod
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 19, 2011
                      I'm usually a lurker but I would like to add my 'bit' about figs, we have temperatures down here to minus 14 to minus 18, though only a dozen or less nights a year. summers are hot.... How they seem to do well here is to plant them in their best drainage you can give them.....though  they are nearly always planted close to a building here. I have one out growing in the forest garden, though it has taken around 3 years to fruit. The biggest one i have i presume is maybe 100 yrs plus, so much fruit, the pig usually gets the bulk of it. i am in s w France, however I have noticed only 1 out of 3 small trees I plant actually make it through the first winter.....maybe worth keeping them in a pot for the first 2 years ?
                      Lily

                    • Matthew Sleigh
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 20, 2011
                        Many figs produce better in containers, maybe you can at least start some off in containers.

                        What town are you from, so we can look at the climate ?

                        All the best,
                        Matthew

                      • dennis@denniskean.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 20, 2011
                          Straw, hay, leaves or long pine needles.  I've used different things every year....  whatever you want, to reduce the wind passing by the individual branch.  You can also put some composting around the base, so that some heat will always be steaming upward keeping the branches several degrees higher.  The point is to reduce the velocity of the air to near zero so that it cannot rob the branches from their heat.  My plants were about 7 feet tall, by the 3rd year.  I used a 6' tall (or wide) fence and round topped it.  It takes between 10' to 15' in length of the 6' fence, depending on how much you trim the fig tree.  If you don't trim it at all then it will take a larger circumference.  6' tall fence wire is pretty cheap.  So, buy a 40' roll.  I bought a 100' roll and have plenty of wire left for other projects.

                          By the way. I'm in zone 7.  You may want to use a cloth or plastic around the whole tree all the way down to the ground.  And definitely add a good compost from grass and leaves, well mixed around the bottom of the tree, about 1.5' high.  It will deliver heat continuously.  I would also put some Styrofoam around the bottom to keep the composting from contacting the stems of the bush.  You don't want to burn the tree either, in case the compost mix becomes hot for a period of time.  Figs are well worth the effort, when you get to taste them.

                           Dennis

                          Dennis, when you say you put a wire fence around the fig plants and filled it tight with hay, covered with an impenetrable cloth or plastic over each of them, and tied with ropes to the floor (ground?) to prevent rain from getting to them, how much hay or straw are you talking about? I often place bales of straw around plants to protect them from winter's wrath, and I am really interested in growing figs here in Zone 5b. Can you provide more details? Is hay better than straw in you experience? How tall were your plants in the 3rd year? How wide is the fence, etc.? Thanks.

                          Amit

                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

                          > Interesting,
                          > but he does not send outside Canada !?
                          > Geir
                          >
                          > 2011/7/16 dennis@... <dennis@...>
                          >

                          > >    Well then try this site.  There are many types of figs.  Some are hardy
                          > > down to -13 C, if we believe the ads.
                          > >

                          > > Dennis

                        • Kumar Magar

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 21, 2011
                              Nearest town is Bergen  in Norway,
                              althoug here bey me winter temperature is usually lower,  not necessarily colder than minus 15C,   but,  freezing temperatures may keep on for a while....

                              Geir

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 21, 2011
                                Dear sir
                                 i need paris polyphylla smith's plants .. 20000 pcs for cultivate .. please give me a detail price list .
                                Hope you hear soon
                                regards
                                kumar magar from Nepal

                              • BrendasOrganics@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 1, 2011
                                  I had a friend growing up whose grandfather grew figs in Chicago. He grew them in the summer and then, when the cold weather began to come in, he would dig up the trees and bury them for the winter. When spring came, he would dig them up and replant them. He did this every year and had fresh figs in Chicago! (A lot of work, but if you've ever had fresh figs off of a tree...you know it is worth it!
                                  Brenda

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 1, 2011
                                    I'm about 5 hours north of Chicago.  I grow about a 100 (about 35 varieties) fig trees in a portable orchard.  I let the whole thing go dormant outside in the fall but before the real cold sets in all the containers are packed away in a cool basement.  Been doing it for more than 20 years...  A few people are having success with in ground figs this north by planting them on top of their septic tanks which tend not to freeze in the winter.

                                    ~mIEKAL

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 5, 2011
                                      Hügelkultur

                                      The practice of making raised beds filled with rotting wood. It is in
                                      effect creating a Nurse log though covered with dirt. The buried
                                      decomposing wood will give off heat, as all compost does, for several
                                      years. This effect has been used by Sepp Holzer for one to allow fruit
                                      trees to survive at otherwise inhospitable temperatures and altitudes.

                                      All the best,
                                      Matthew

                                      Matthew Sleigh
                                      B and T World Seeds