Re: [pfaf] fig trees

  • Dee Harris
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 15, 2011

      I've know people who have grown figs here in Houston, Texas. However, our winters have been getting colder and colder.

      Wolf

      Date: 7/15/2011 1:49:52 PM
      Subject: [pfaf] fig trees

      Any one have links or seeds available for "extra hardy"  figs ?

      I have ( had) - tried
      "brown turkey",  King and Galbon
      got to kjnow these should be hardy figs that are grown in alpine condidions in France..
      but they are not sufficiently hardy to stand a Norwegian winter- above ground.
      I got holod of Afgan figs, that should be even hardier,
      but they died befor beeing able to show how hardy they should be...

      Any help out there ???

      Geir Flatabø

      2011/7/15 mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@...>
      No one on my other lists have offered a satisfactory ID of these but I
      know you guys won't let me down. Lotsa pictures on the page include a
      good one of the leaves.

      http://english.vietnamnet.vn/en/vietnam-in-photos/10514/five-600-years-old-fig-trees-in-nghe-an.html

      ~mIEKAL

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
         pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Peter Ellis
      Message 2 of 29 , Jul 15, 2011
        I thought Houston was hot?

        Figs are prolific here in Istria. Half the time people just let the fruit fall on the ground, which is a pity, as they are easy to dry and provide tasty fibre for the winter months.

        Cheers

        Peter

        On 15/07/2011 22:00, Dee Harris wrote:

[...]

        FREE Animations for your email -
by IncrediMail! Click Here!

      • Peter Ellis

          Message 4 of 29 , Jul 15, 2011

            The summers have been hotter and the winters colder. This coming winter is going to be colder still. Last year saw more nights with below freezing temps and days barely above. This coming winter is going to be colder. Last year we had four nights of sleet. The year before a full day of snow and several nights of sleet.

            This year we're supposed to have at least one hurricane. There are over 15 different named storms that is supposed to hit. Houston is seeing some really weird weather which isn't normal for this town.

            However, there are a couple of things that I can do to grow vegetables in winter. No, our planet is changing quickly and we need to observe what we can do to save our fruit trees. For those of you who are trying to grow fig trees, I would suggest that you use a tarp and smoker for your trees. Bury the trunk at least half way up. Wrap the rest of the trunk in old quilts and blankets. You will save your trees this way. The tarp thrown over the tree itself will insure that your tree will last the winter.

            These are only suggestions but they work.

            Wolf

            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 15, 2011
              A good idea
              good to know,
              special care / protection till it is > 2,5 cm Diam main stem.
              Still I would believe there could be extra hardy varieties .....

              Geir

              2011/7/15 dennis@... <dennis@...>

              You must wrap the young fig tree entirely with hay or dry leaves with a large cloth and you will still lose some of the limbs.  And you must do that every year until the central stem is about 2.5 inches in diameter or more.  And being in Norway, you probably will need to protect the core for many years in this fashion. It is not so hard to do that.

              Even here in North Carolina, where winters are mild, we had to protect the fig trees when they were young... about 3 years old or more.  Afterward, they take the winter very well and we need not do anything.  In this 4th year we now get thousands of figs from our three trees.  And they keep getting bigger and bigger every year.  The fig tree is a marvelous plant, well worth the little effort it takes to make them grow.  They need more lime than other trees.  But protect it, you must.  If you do not wrap them in the winter and/or do not cover them with some impermeable cloth, the rain will find its way through the hay and freeze the limbs and it will die.

              We put a wire fence around them and fill it tight with hay.  Then a cloth or plastic over each of them, tied with ropes to the floor to prevent rain and it will keep your fig tree alive for the next year.  Do not remove until there is no more danger of frost.

              Dennis

              the first wither outside went well, because the winter was not too cold,
              and I got 2 ripe figs on a Galbon fig,
              but last winter was bad..

              Geir

              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
                Try on painting the tree with clay when it loses the leaves. Paint a layer of liquid clay, leave drying, another layer, and keep on doing this until you reach a good protective insulation.

                Clay has very good characteristic, is able to balance the water-moisture content, and is high in silica which is a good protecting element too. If you want to increase the effectiveness of this protection, mix to the clay some shredded straw or cow manure, kelp seaweed flour and potassium. All have good propriety on regulating the the flow of static sap.

                Plant your fig tree around big black rocks! ... I know you don't have a lot of winter sun but...

                matteo

              • dennis@denniskean.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
                  Correction...  not centimeters.  Inches 2.5 inches is about 6 cm.  2.5 cm is not able to take the freeze.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
                    Well then try this site.  There are many types of figs.  Some are hardy down to -13 C, if we believe the ads.

                    Dennis

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
                      hmm, the average minimum winter temperature is -12C in many of the Mediterranean fig growing areas, but this usually only lasts a few hours. If olives survive figs will usually survive better.

                      All the best,
                      Matthew

                      Matthew Sleigh
                      Paguignan
                      34210 Aigues-Vives
                      France

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011

                        Thanks, Dennis. I do more research. Again, thank you.

                        Wolf

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
                          That is the thing.
                          We dont have too much winter sun,
                          more rain ans snow,
                          so the clay will not keep on te trungk for too many days...

                          Geir

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
                            Interesting,
                            but he does not send outside Canada !?
                            Geir

                            2011/7/16 dennis@... <dennis@...>

[...]

                          • jayaraman raamachandran
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 16, 2011
                              FOR MORE DETAILS:
                              SEE
                              "HERBS OF SIDDHA MEDICINES",
                              WORLD'S FIRST 3 DIMENSIONAL BOOK ON HERBS
                              by DR.J.RAAMACHANDRAN
                              1323, Valley Vista Drive
                              Irving TX75063
                              972-444-9080

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 19, 2011
                                Dennis, when you say you put a wire fence around the fig plants and filled it tight with hay, covered with an impenetrable cloth or plastic over each of them, and tied with ropes to the floor (ground?) to prevent rain from getting to them, how much hay or straw are you talking about? I often place bales of straw around plants to protect them from winter's wrath, and I am really interested in growing figs here in Zone 5b. Can you provide more details? Is hay better than straw in you experience? How tall were your plants in the 3rd year? How wide is the fence, etc.? Thanks.

                                Amit

                                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

                                > Interesting,
                                > but he does not send outside Canada !?
                                > Geir
                                >
                                > 2011/7/16 dennis@... <dennis@...>
                                >

                                > > Well then try this site. There are many types of figs. Some are hardy
                                > > down to -13 C, if we believe the ads.
                                > >
                                > > http://www.adrianosfigtrees.com/varieties.html
                                > >
                                > > Dennis

                              • Li Hod
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 19, 2011
                                  I'm usually a lurker but I would like to add my 'bit' about figs, we have temperatures down here to minus 14 to minus 18, though only a dozen or less nights a year. summers are hot.... How they seem to do well here is to plant them in their best drainage you can give them.....though  they are nearly always planted close to a building here. I have one out growing in the forest garden, though it has taken around 3 years to fruit. The biggest one i have i presume is maybe 100 yrs plus, so much fruit, the pig usually gets the bulk of it. i am in s w France, however I have noticed only 1 out of 3 small trees I plant actually make it through the first winter.....maybe worth keeping them in a pot for the first 2 years ?
                                  Lily

                                • Matthew Sleigh
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 20, 2011
                                    Many figs produce better in containers, maybe you can at least start some off in containers.

                                    What town are you from, so we can look at the climate ?

                                    All the best,
                                    Matthew

                                  • dennis@denniskean.com
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 20, 2011
                                      Straw, hay, leaves or long pine needles.  I've used different things every year....  whatever you want, to reduce the wind passing by the individual branch.  You can also put some composting around the base, so that some heat will always be steaming upward keeping the branches several degrees higher.  The point is to reduce the velocity of the air to near zero so that it cannot rob the branches from their heat.  My plants were about 7 feet tall, by the 3rd year.  I used a 6' tall (or wide) fence and round topped it.  It takes between 10' to 15' in length of the 6' fence, depending on how much you trim the fig tree.  If you don't trim it at all then it will take a larger circumference.  6' tall fence wire is pretty cheap.  So, buy a 40' roll.  I bought a 100' roll and have plenty of wire left for other projects.

                                      By the way. I'm in zone 7.  You may want to use a cloth or plastic around the whole tree all the way down to the ground.  And definitely add a good compost from grass and leaves, well mixed around the bottom of the tree, about 1.5' high.  It will deliver heat continuously.  I would also put some Styrofoam around the bottom to keep the composting from contacting the stems of the bush.  You don't want to burn the tree either, in case the compost mix becomes hot for a period of time.  Figs are well worth the effort, when you get to taste them.

                                       Dennis

                                      Dennis, when you say you put a wire fence around the fig plants and filled it tight with hay, covered with an impenetrable cloth or plastic over each of them, and tied with ropes to the floor (ground?) to prevent rain from getting to them, how much hay or straw are you talking about? I often place bales of straw around plants to protect them from winter's wrath, and I am really interested in growing figs here in Zone 5b. Can you provide more details? Is hay better than straw in you experience? How tall were your plants in the 3rd year? How wide is the fence, etc.? Thanks.

                                      Amit

                                      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

                                      > Interesting,
                                      > but he does not send outside Canada !?
                                      > Geir
                                      >
                                      > 2011/7/16 dennis@... <dennis@...>
                                      >

                                      > >    Well then try this site.  There are many types of figs.  Some are hardy
                                      > > down to -13 C, if we believe the ads.
                                      > >

                                      > > Dennis

                                    • Kumar Magar
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 21, 2011

                                         we are from Nepal .. 3000 hight from sea.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 21, 2011
                                          Nearest town is Bergen  in Norway,
                                          althoug here bey me winter temperature is usually lower,  not necessarily colder than minus 15C,   but,  freezing temperatures may keep on for a while....

                                          Geir

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 21, 2011
                                            Dear sir
                                             i need paris polyphylla smith's plants .. 20000 pcs for cultivate .. please give me a detail price list .
                                            Hope you hear soon
                                            regards
                                            kumar magar from Nepal

                                          • BrendasOrganics@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 1, 2011
                                              I had a friend growing up whose grandfather grew figs in Chicago. He grew them in the summer and then, when the cold weather began to come in, he would dig up the trees and bury them for the winter. When spring came, he would dig them up and replant them. He did this every year and had fresh figs in Chicago! (A lot of work, but if you've ever had fresh figs off of a tree...you know it is worth it!
                                              Brenda

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 1, 2011
                                                I'm about 5 hours north of Chicago.  I grow about a 100 (about 35 varieties) fig trees in a portable orchard.  I let the whole thing go dormant outside in the fall but before the real cold sets in all the containers are packed away in a cool basement.  Been doing it for more than 20 years...  A few people are having success with in ground figs this north by planting them on top of their septic tanks which tend not to freeze in the winter.

                                                ~mIEKAL

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Aug 5, 2011
                                                  Hügelkultur

                                                  The practice of making raised beds filled with rotting wood. It is in
                                                  effect creating a Nurse log though covered with dirt. The buried
                                                  decomposing wood will give off heat, as all compost does, for several
                                                  years. This effect has been used by Sepp Holzer for one to allow fruit
                                                  trees to survive at otherwise inhospitable temperatures and altitudes.

                                                  All the best,
                                                  Matthew

                                                  Matthew Sleigh
                                                  B and T World Seeds