Re: [pfaf] Re: Alternatives to soap nuts

  • Peter Ellis
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 9, 2011
      Elaine Sommers wrote:

      > They still use hand or top loaders in Mexico where I used to live. I
      > loved my top loader (after trying to wash sheets by hand previously
      > anything was better!) It saved water too because I could wash the not
      > so dirty things in the first wash, spin them in the attacher spinner,
      > then wash the dirtier things in the same water and spin them too.
      > Different water for rinsing but the same process.

      My mother lamented the passing of her top loader to a fully automatic
      machine for the same reason. Whites first, then coloureds, with dirty
      overalls in the final wash.

      Cheers

      Peter
    • Matthew Sleigh
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 9, 2011
        On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 3:35 AM, Peter Ellis
        <peter.ellis@...> wrote:
        > Elaine Sommers wrote:
        >> They still use hand or top loaders in Mexico where I used to live. I

        Here (in the Philippines countryside) I have only seen washing by hand
        (bashing with wooden paddles) and top loaders. Concrete washing basins
        can still be seen in rural areas of France, Portugal and Spain, some
        were still being used in the Minervoise recently, despite the water
        crisis. In the Philippines water is cheap and abundant, except in El
        Nino years.

        Unripe Star fruit and Iba (Averrhoa bilimbi and Averrhoa carambola)
        can be used to bleach cloth (notably removing rust stains) and have
        anti-bacterial properties. Watermelon also has anti-bacterial
        properties.

        Any plant parts containing saponins will be lipophilic (fat-loving
        "dirt magnets") some are used in commercial products.

        All the best,
        Matthew

        Matthew Sleigh
        P-2, North Poblacion