Re: [pfaf] Alternatives to soap nuts

  • inverse
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 9, 2011
      Use at least ashes and hot water.. water alone in the long run is going to turn your clothes into a stinking heap of oily dirt and that in the even longer run is going to kill you.

      Human skin produces an oily layer used as a first line of defense against external agents, this is going to impregnate clothes and make them increasingly difficult to wash with just water.
      Therefore you need something do destroy greases, no matter what.
      Very acid (vinegar) or very alkaline (ashes) agents will either hydrolyze greases or turn them into soaps, that's why they actually clean clothes.

      On the other hand saponins from vegetal matter work as tensioactive agents and disperd greases into water without actually destroying them in the process.

      Inverse

      On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Griselda Mussett <mussetts@...> wrote:

      I have been wondering why we need to use anything at all?

      Maybe for really greasy stuff, or stains, but otherwise.......?

      On 8 Jun 2011, at 13:45, Lesley wrote:

      Hi I'd like to hear from anyone who's experimented with soap plants. I have used soap nuts in the washing machine and the shower, they work really well, but when they come from so far away it really defeats the purpose -does anyone else use anything that grows in the uk, that works ok in the washing machine?

      Has anyone tried horse chestnut? or yucca -which species? Or soap lily (Chlorogalum pomeridianum) (and let me know if you know where I can get some)? Or soapwort for anything other than shampoo?

      Thanks

      --
      "In a sea of glass shards, I hear you screaming"
      --icchan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 9, 2011
        As a remnant of real Texas pioneer farm folks, I can honestly say that washing machines are one of my favourite inventions, having spent too many hours of my childhood using a hand crank wringer washer and homemade lye soap that burned the eyes and left the clothes dingy yellow. Unless you use bluing, of course, do they even make bluing anymore?

        We have rainwater collection cisterns, and are very conscious of water use in this 9 month drought, but we bought the smallest front loader washing machine that Sears makes, because front loaders use less than half the water of top loaders, and unscented concentrated liquid detergent that only needs a tablespoon for a regular load, maybe 1 1/2 tablespoons for heavy grime.

        Making your own soap and doing the wash by hand uses more energy than modern, efficient machines and detergents, that's why They invented them!

        ~Marcia Cash, Traveler in Thyme
        from the cotton fields of North Dallas in the last century
        (when Dallas had cotton fields!)
      • Peter Ellis
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 9, 2011
          Hi

          I applaud your pragmatism ! I'm all for natural solutions, but not if
          there is a better way for something. I didn't know top loaders were
          still made. I certainly remember the big ones of my youth, with an
          electric wringer mounted on top. I haven't seen blue bags in years.
          There was a mine that produced it in the detached part of Lancashire on
          the road to Barrow in Furness and every building was blue with the dust.

          Cheers

          Peter

          travelerinthyme wrote:

          > As a remnant of real Texas pioneer farm folks, I can honestly say that
          > washing machines are one of my favourite inventions, having spent too
          > many hours of my childhood using a hand crank wringer washer and
          > homemade lye soap that burned the eyes and left the clothes dingy
          > yellow. Unless you use bluing, of course, do they even make bluing
          > anymore?
          >
          > We have rainwater collection cisterns, and are very conscious of water
          > use in this 9 month drought, but we bought the smallest front loader
          > washing machine that Sears makes, because front loaders use less than
          > half the water of top loaders, and unscented concentrated liquid
          > detergent that only needs a tablespoon for a regular load, maybe 1 1/2
          > tablespoons for heavy grime.
          >
          > Making your own soap and doing the wash by hand uses more energy than
          > modern, efficient machines and detergents, that's why They invented them!
          >
          > ~Marcia Cash, Traveler in Thyme
          > from the cotton fields of North Dallas in the last century
          > (when Dallas had cotton fields!)

        • Elaine Sommers
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 9, 2011
            They still use hand or top loaders in Mexico where I used to live. I loved my top loader (after trying to wash sheets by hand previously anything was better!) It saved water too because I could wash the not so dirty things in the first wash, spin them in the attacher spinner, then wash the dirtier things in the same water and spin them too. Different water for rinsing but the same process.

            The only reason I mentioned hand cranked washers is the impending peak-oil senario. I would hate to go back to complete hand washing, even if some of my Mexican neighbours used to enjoy washing that way. They found it theraputic. But not if they had full-time jobs.

            My neighbour used lemon juice to get stains out of cuffs and collars - putting the juice on them and leaving in the sun to bleach for 30 mins. It is tips like these that are really useful.

            In the olden days (tudor times) in the UK they used wood ash and urine to make washing detergent.

            The same thing with using liquidisers and processors. In Mexico City they all used the electronic devices but in the countryside many of them still preferred to use stone grinding to make everything including salsas. In the City they used hand pulled devices to make perfect juice. It was a revelation to me.

            Blessings,
            Elaine.

            ". . . the greatest peril of life lies in the fact that human food consists entirely of souls. All the creatures that we have to kill to eat, all those that we have to strike down and destroy to make clothes for ourselves, have souls, souls that do not perish with the body . . . All that exists lives."

            from 'Shaman, the wounded healer' by J. Halifax, 1982

            > To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
            > From: peter.ellis@...
            > Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 15:45:11 +0200
            > Subject: Re: [pfaf] Re: Alternatives to soap nuts
            >
            > Hi
            >
            > I applaud your pragmatism ! I'm all for natural solutions, but not if
            > there is a better way for something. I didn't know top loaders were
            > still made. I certainly remember the big ones of my youth, with an
            > electric wringer mounted on top. I haven't seen blue bags in years.
            > There was a mine that produced it in the detached part of Lancashire on
            > the road to Barrow in Furness and every building was blue with the dust.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Peter
            >

            > travelerinthyme wrote:
            > >
            > > As a remnant of real Texas pioneer farm folks, I can honestly say that
            > > washing machines are one of my favourite inventions, having spent too
            > > many hours of my childhood using a hand crank wringer washer and
            > > homemade lye soap that burned the eyes and left the clothes dingy
            > > yellow. Unless you use bluing, of course, do they even make bluing
            > > anymore?
            > >
            > > We have rainwater collection cisterns, and are very conscious of water
            > > use in this 9 month drought, but we bought the smallest front loader
            > > washing machine that Sears makes, because front loaders use less than
            > > half the water of top loaders, and unscented concentrated liquid
            > > detergent that only needs a tablespoon for a regular load, maybe 1 1/2
            > > tablespoons for heavy grime.
            > >
            > > Making your own soap and doing the wash by hand uses more energy than
            > > modern, efficient machines and detergents, that's why They invented them!
            > >
            > > ~Marcia Cash, Traveler in Thyme
            > > from the cotton fields of North Dallas in the last century
            > > (when Dallas had cotton fields!)

            > <*> Your email settings:
            > Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            > <*> To change settings online go to:
            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            > <*> To change settings via email:
            > pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
            > pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Peter Ellis
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 9, 2011
              Elaine Sommers wrote:

              > They still use hand or top loaders in Mexico where I used to live. I
              > loved my top loader (after trying to wash sheets by hand previously
              > anything was better!) It saved water too because I could wash the not
              > so dirty things in the first wash, spin them in the attacher spinner,
              > then wash the dirtier things in the same water and spin them too.
              > Different water for rinsing but the same process.

              My mother lamented the passing of her top loader to a fully automatic
              machine for the same reason. Whites first, then coloureds, with dirty
              overalls in the final wash.

              Cheers

              Peter
            • Matthew Sleigh
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 9, 2011
                On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 3:35 AM, Peter Ellis
                <peter.ellis@...> wrote:
                > Elaine Sommers wrote:
                >> They still use hand or top loaders in Mexico where I used to live. I

                Here (in the Philippines countryside) I have only seen washing by hand
                (bashing with wooden paddles) and top loaders. Concrete washing basins
                can still be seen in rural areas of France, Portugal and Spain, some
                were still being used in the Minervoise recently, despite the water
                crisis. In the Philippines water is cheap and abundant, except in El
                Nino years.

                Unripe Star fruit and Iba (Averrhoa bilimbi and Averrhoa carambola)
                can be used to bleach cloth (notably removing rust stains) and have
                anti-bacterial properties. Watermelon also has anti-bacterial
                properties.

                Any plant parts containing saponins will be lipophilic (fat-loving
                "dirt magnets") some are used in commercial products.

                All the best,
                Matthew

                Matthew Sleigh
                P-2, North Poblacion