Re: [pfaf] Re: sustainable global meat production (was 'Plant based diets / '...

  • Steph in Montana
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2011
      On this same note there is a method of livestock rearing called mob
      grazing. that is when the great praries of the mid west has antelope and
      buffalo and deer and other grass and brush eaters roaming the grassland.
      mob grazing was the way the praries developed and the indian was the main
      preditor. the mobs grazing kept woodland open to some degree and the grass
      tall enough to support prarie chickens and grouse. Around the mississippi
      the river flooded as much as 100 miles away from it's banks and the
      animals just walked away from the wet untill it subsided. This is large
      scale livestock production but there could be no owners because the
      animals wandered so far afield they had to be hunted at harvest time. The
      scale of livestock production is limmited by the anount of space they are
      given. I tried mob grazing on my farm of 20 acres and it worked quite well
      to reduce the worm load in the spring kidding season. My goat herd
      increased from 4 goats to over 100 in less than 10 years. The horses were
      mostly worm free for that time and so were the goats. The grass was kept
      short and the napweed died out so there is mostly grass and wormwood and
      some dandiloins. Now that I have locked up the animals I need to deal with
      higher worm loads than I've ever seen since I let them mob graze.> I am developing a theory, that like endorphin production slows or

      Who is Ron Paul? http://www.ronpaul2008.com