Groundnut question

  • ellenrowe2004
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2004
      Hi -
      My family's property in Maine is being taken over by American
      groundnut. I have been reading up on it and realize that it is a
      plant that many people try and cultivate as the tubers are edible,
      but it is acting like kudzu, climbing up young saplings and pulling
      them down and generally creating a canopy over the vegetation
      that we originally planted. It seems to spread so quickly that it is
      impossible to control it by mere weeding (we are not there
      throughout the summer and it grows out of control during our
      abscence)
      Does anyone have any ideas as to how we could either
      eradicate it or control it in as eco-friendly a manner possible?

      Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!

      Ellen Rowe
    • Robert Waldrop
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2004
        Dig it up and sell it by mail order, maybe on Ebay
        or through announcements in lists like this.
        Hmmm, probably best to do this in the fall or
        spring but I am not an expert on groundnut. It's
        not readily available as far as I know. Your
        problem could be somebody else's blessing.

        Robert Waldrop, Oklahoma City

        > My family's property in Maine is being taken
        over by American
        > groundnut. I have been reading up on it and
        realize that it is a
        > plant that many people try and cultivate as the
        tubers are edible,
        > but it is acting like kudzu, climbing up young
        saplings and pulling
        > them down and generally creating a canopy over
        the vegetation
        > that we originally planted. It seems to spread
        so quickly that it is
        > impossible to control it by mere weeding (we are
        not there
        > throughout the summer and it grows out of
        control during our
        > abscence)
        > Does anyone have any ideas as to how we could
        either
        > eradicate it or control it in as eco-friendly a
        manner possible?

        > Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!
        >
        > Ellen Rowe

      • mIEKAL aND
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12, 2004
          exactly what I was thinking, I'd buy a few pounds & you probably could
          move a bunch on the permaculture list... mIEKAL

          On Saturday, June 12, 2004, at 05:29 PM, Robert Waldrop wrote:

          > Dig it up and sell it by mail order, maybe on Ebay
          > or through announcements in lists like this.
          > Hmmm, probably best to do this in the fall or
          > spring but I am not an expert on groundnut. It's
          > not readily available as far as I know. Your
          > problem could be somebody else's blessing.
          >
          > Robert Waldrop, Oklahoma City

          24/7 PROTOMEDIA BREEDING GROUND

          http://www.joglars.org
          http://www.spidertangle.net
          http://www.xexoxial.org
          http://www.neologisms.us
          http://www.dreamtimevillage.org

          "The word is the first stereotype." Isidore Isou, 1947.
        • Hilary Robinson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2004
            American groundnut?
            This is obviously not the same groundnut as we in England also know as
            peanut, which is a fairly low-growing herbaceous plant(and not hardy in most
            of Britain, though we do get the odd unexpected plant when grey squirrels
            have stolen the seeds from bird-feeders and buried them). Just out of
            curiosity, do you have a Latin name?
            Regards, Hilary Robinson

          • elrowe@umich.edu
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2004
              Quoting Hilary Robinson <hilrobinson@...>:

              > Hi Hilary -

              The latin name for American Groundnut is Apios Americana.

              Ellen Rowe

              > American groundnut?
              >
              > This is obviously not the same groundnut as we in England also know as
              >
              > peanut, which is a fairly low-growing herbaceous plant(and not hardy in most
              >
              > of Britain, though we do get the odd unexpected plant when grey squirrels
              >
              > have stolen the seeds from bird-feeders and buried them). Just out of
              >
              > curiosity, do you have a Latin name?
              >
              > Regards, Hilary Robinson
              >

              > >From: "Robert Waldrop" <rmwj@...>

              > >To: <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
              >
              > >Subject: Re: [pfaf] Groundnut question
              >
              > >Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:29:11 -0500
              >

              > >Dig it up and sell it by mail order, maybe on Ebay
              >
              > >or through announcements in lists like this.
              >
              > >Hmmm, probably best to do this in the fall or
              >
              > >spring but I am not an expert on groundnut.  It's
              >
              > >not readily available as far as I know.  Your
              >
              > >problem could be somebody else's blessing.
              >

              > >Robert Waldrop, Oklahoma City

            • KenFern
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 14, 2004
                The Latin name is Apios americana. It has a huge potential as a food crop -
                look it up in the PFAF database.

                Ken Fern

                > This is obviously not the same groundnut as we in England also know as
                > peanut, which is a fairly low-growing herbaceous plant(and not hardy in
                most
                > of Britain, though we do get the odd unexpected plant when grey squirrels
                > have stolen the seeds from bird-feeders and buried them). Just out of
                > curiosity, do you have a Latin name?
                > Regards, Hilary Robinson
                >
                > >From: "Robert Waldrop" <rmwj@...>
                > >To: <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
                > >Subject: Re: [pfaf] Groundnut question
                > >Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:29:11 -0500
                > >
                > >Dig it up and sell it by mail order, maybe on Ebay
                > >or through announcements in lists like this.
                > >Hmmm, probably best to do this in the fall or
                > >spring but I am not an expert on groundnut. It's
                > >not readily available as far as I know. Your
                > >problem could be somebody else's blessing.
                > >
                > >Robert Waldrop, Oklahoma City

              • KenFern
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 14, 2004
                  Hi

                  Can I ask just how vigorous your plants are? My information is that the
                  plant rarely grows more than 4 feet high (though occasional plants I am
                  growing here have managed to get 5 feet into a young hawthorn). If your
                  plants are more vigorous than this, then I assume you have identified them
                  correctly?

                  Have you visited http://plants.usda.gov/. There is a lot of info here about
                  native American plants.

                  As to controlling it, if you are certain that it is Apios americana then,
                  after saving a few tubers and sending them to me at

                  Plants for a Future
                  The Field
                  Penpol
                  Lostwithiel
                  Cornwall
                  PL22 0NG

                  (actually, you don't have to, but I wouldn't be upset if a few tubers found
                  there way to Cornwall!!!)

                  You could try controlling it by cutting down all the growth each time you
                  are there (which will weaken it considerably) and then thoroughly raking the
                  top few inches of the soil during the dormant season. Most of the tubers
                  will be found in this shallow depth of soil - try baking them, they are
                  delicious. Repeat this for a couple of years and you should find a very
                  considerable reduction in the amount of plants growing. You can then simply
                  keep the plant in control by raking each dormant period and eating most of
                  the tubers.

                  This is not the fastest way of controlling it, but is safer than chemicals.
                  If the plants were not growing in amongst your other plants then sheet
                  mulching would be the best answer - when applied in the spring it gives
                  total eradication within 18 months and also re-fertilizes the soil.

                  Hope this is of some help'

                  Ken Fern

                  > My family's property in Maine is being taken over by American
                  > groundnut. I have been reading up on it and realize that it is a
                  > plant that many people try and cultivate as the tubers are edible,
                  > but it is acting like kudzu, climbing up young saplings and pulling
                  > them down and generally creating a canopy over the vegetation
                  > that we originally planted. It seems to spread so quickly that it is
                  > impossible to control it by mere weeding (we are not there
                  > throughout the summer and it grows out of control during our
                  > abscence)
                  > Does anyone have any ideas as to how we could either
                  > eradicate it or control it in as eco-friendly a manner possible?
                  >
                  > Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!
                  >
                  > Ellen Rowe
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Ellen Rowe
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 14, 2004
                    Hi Ken -

                    Thank you for your advice! I can't say that I have ever seen these
                    plants going higher than 3 feet as they often twine around each other and
                    make a canopy over ferns and small saplings around 2 feet off the ground.
                    The identification came from a vascular plant specialist at the Herbarium
                    at the University of Michigan where I teach, so I assume it is correct. I
                    will happily send you some tubers when I get back up there in late July or
                    early August, but will be doing my best to discourage it after that!

                    Ellen Rowe

                    --On Monday, June 14, 2004 10:44 AM +0100 KenFern <ken.fern@...>

                    Prof. Ellen Rowe
                    Coordinator, Undergraduate Jazz Studies