Re: [pfaf] Our physiology, and How to win an argument with a meat eater.

  • fran k
    Message 1 of 58 , May 3, 2011
      personally I think what everyones missing is the fish shellfish and water plant area, of the missing aspects of taurine, b12, and omega 3 6 and 9 fatty acids, and the peculiarity of an animal that eats cooked meat eating came from the early processing flesh into a fish substitute. IMO.  But, Im looking forward to searching it out.

       heres some info about these arguments:

      http://www.vegsource.com/news/2009/09/how-to-win-an-argument-with-a-meat-eater.html

      and here they are:  (I dont go along with the hunger argument, as most of the world is still vegetarian, and hunger, is to do with money, its exchange process causing scarcity and price causing insufficiency, lack, social and physical exclusion)

      How to Win An Argument With a Meat-Eater

      Diet for a New America | John Robbins | 09/21/09

      The Hunger Argument

      Number of people worldwide who will die as a result of malnutrition this year: 20 million
      Number of people who could be adequately fed using land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10%: 100 million
      Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by people: 20
      Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 80
      Percentage of oats grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 95
      Percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 90
      How frequently a child dies as a result of malnutrition: every 2.3 seconds
      Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 40,000
      Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 250
      Percentage of U.S. farmland devoted to beef production: 56
      Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce a pound of edible flesh from feedlot beef: 16

      The Environmental Argument

      Cause of global warming: greenhouse effect
      Primary cause of greenhouse effect: carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels
      Fossil fuels needed to produce meat-centered diet vs. a meat-free diet: 3 times more
      Percentage of U.S. topsoil lost to date: 75
      Percentage of U.S. topsoil loss directly related to livestock raising: 85
      Number of acres of U.S. forest cleared for cropland to produce meat-centered diet: 260 million
      Amount of meat imported to U.S. annually from Central and South America: 300,000,000 pounds
      Percentage of Central American children under the age of five who are undernourished: 75
      Area of tropical rainforest consumed in every quarter-pound of rainforest beef: 55 square feet
      Current rate of species extinction due to destruction of tropical rainforests for meat grazing and other uses: 1,000 per year

      The Cancer Argument

      Increased risk of breast cancer for women who eat meat daily compared to less than once a week: 3.8 times
      For women who eat eggs daily compared to once a week: 2.8 times
      For women who eat butter and cheese 2-4 times a week: 3.25 times
      Increased risk of fatal ovarian cancer for women who eat eggs 3 or more times a week vs. less than once a week: 3 times
      Increased risk of fatal prostate cancer for men who consume meat, cheese, eggs and milk daily vs. sparingly or not at all: 3.6 times.

      The Cholesterol Argument

      Number of U.S. medical schools: 125
      Number requiring a course in nutrition: 30
      Nutrition training received by average U.S. physician during four years in medical school: 2.5 hours
      Most common cause of death in the U.S.: heart attack
      How frequently a heart attack kills in the U.S.: every 45 seconds
      Average U.S. man's risk of death from heart attack: 50 percent
      Risk of average U.S. man who eats no meat: 15 percent
      Risk of average U.S. man who eats no meat, dairy or eggs: 4 percent
      Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption of meat, dairy and eggs by 10 percent: 9 percent
      Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption by 50 percent: 45 percent
      Amount you reduce risk if you eliminate meat, dairy and eggs from your diet: 90 percent
      Average cholesterol level of people eating meat-centered-diet: 210 mg/dl
      Chance of dying from heart disease if you are male and your blood cholesterol level is 210 mg/dl: greater than 50 percent

      The Natural Resources Argument

      User of more than half of all water used for all purposes in the U.S.: livestock production
      Amount of water used in production of the average cow: sufficient to float a destroyer
      Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of wheat: 25
      Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of California beef: 5,000
      Years the world's known oil reserves would last if every human ate a meat-centered diet: 13
      Years they would last if human beings no longer ate meat: 260
      Calories of fossil fuel expended to get 1 calorie of protein from beef: 78
      To get 1 calorie of protein from soybeans: 2
      Percentage of all raw materials (base products of farming, forestry and mining, including fossil fuels) consumed by U.S. that is devoted to the production of livestock: 33
      Percentage of all raw materials consumed by the U.S. needed to produce a complete vegetarian diet: 2

      The Antibiotic Argument

      Percentage of U.S. antibiotics fed to livestock: 55
      Percentage of staphylococci infections resistant to penicillin in 1960: 13
      Percentage resistant in 1988: 91
      Response of European Economic Community to routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock: ban
      Response of U.S. meat and pharmaceutical industries to routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock: full and complete support

      The Pesticide Argument

      Common belief: U.S. Department of Agriculture protects our health through meat inspection
      Reality: fewer than 1 out of every 250,000 slaughtered animals is tested for toxic chemical residues
      Percentage of U.S. mother's milk containing significant levels of DDT: 99
      Percentage of U.S. vegetarian mother's milk containing significant levels of DDT: 8
      Contamination of breast milk, due to chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides in animal products, found in meat-eating mothers vs. non-meat eating mothers: 35 times higher
      Amount of Dieldrin ingested by the average breast-fed American infant: 9 times the permissible level

      The Ethical Argument

      Number of animals killed for meat per hour in the U.S.: 660,000
      Occupation with highest turnover rate in U.S.: slaughterhouse worker
      Occupation with highest rate of on-the-job-injury in U.S.: slaughterhouse worker

      The Survival Argument

      Athlete to win Ironman Triathlon more than twice: Dave Scott (6 time winner)
      Food choice of Dave Scott: Vegetarian
      Largest meat eater that ever lived: Tyrannosaurus Rex (Where is he today?)

      Source = "Diet For A New America" by John Robbins

      Message 58 of 58 , May 17, 2011
        By the pic, it looks like the malaysian local fruit - chichu whose seeds look exactly the same & it's sweet & well liked by many.

        On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Javier Cosp <jcosp@...> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from Javier Cosp included below]

        Somebody knows this fruit? Can be eaten?

        Javier Cosp
        Asuncion, Paraguay