Re: [pfaf] Re: sustainable global meat production (was 'Plant based diets / "...

  • Infowolf1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2011
      I am developing a theory, that like endorphin production slows or ceases when the body
      is exposed to the endorphin relative opiates, and has to restart, so perhaps our taurine
      production - which is inadequate anyway - is slowed or stalled by too heavy a diet of
      meat, and needs to restart or speed up by slowly going off meat.

      BUT WE NEED THE MEAT TO SOME EXTENT, because WE DO NOT produce enough
      taurine for our needs. An obligate carnivore produces NO taurine, e.g., cats. we are
      not obligate carnivores, but if we soak ourselves in meat daily all our lives we may
      as individuals become obligate carnivores.

      So we need to develop a lower level of meat use, BUT NOT ELIMINATE IT.

      Christine

      In a message dated 5/2/2011 7:28:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, permalove@... writes:
      Another idea we're not looking at seriously enough is that humans don't need to eat meat as often as they do in order to gain the benefit from the nutrition meat contains - in fact, if you are raising meat on pasture in a clean system, you are going to be getting a higher nutritional value by weight anyway; therefore you wouldn't need even as much as you do now).
    • Steph in Montana
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 2011
        On this same note there is a method of livestock rearing called mob
        grazing. that is when the great praries of the mid west has antelope and
        buffalo and deer and other grass and brush eaters roaming the grassland.
        mob grazing was the way the praries developed and the indian was the main
        preditor. the mobs grazing kept woodland open to some degree and the grass
        tall enough to support prarie chickens and grouse. Around the mississippi
        the river flooded as much as 100 miles away from it's banks and the
        animals just walked away from the wet untill it subsided. This is large
        scale livestock production but there could be no owners because the
        animals wandered so far afield they had to be hunted at harvest time. The
        scale of livestock production is limmited by the anount of space they are
        given. I tried mob grazing on my farm of 20 acres and it worked quite well
        to reduce the worm load in the spring kidding season. My goat herd
        increased from 4 goats to over 100 in less than 10 years. The horses were
        mostly worm free for that time and so were the goats. The grass was kept
        short and the napweed died out so there is mostly grass and wormwood and
        some dandiloins. Now that I have locked up the animals I need to deal with
        higher worm loads than I've ever seen since I let them mob graze.> I am developing a theory, that like endorphin production slows or

        Who is Ron Paul? http://www.ronpaul2008.com