Re: [pfaf] Benevolent Dictator

  • Infowolf1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2011
      flywheels, battery banks, etc.

      Christine

      In a message dated 5/2/2011 6:03:26 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, matthew@... writes:

      so windfarms need a way to store energy ?

      On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Griselda Mussett <mussetts@...> wrote:

      The BBC website said today that in Scotland the electricity authorities are paying colossal sums to several windfarm arrays for NOT supplying electricty, as it comes in surges which are proving too costly for the system to cope with. This is in the region of hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money, so that they immobilise the turbines. I cannot think of a more stupid, corrupt, wasteful outcome.
      Griselda

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 30 Apr 2011, at 01:23, Matthew Sleigh <matthew@...> wrote:

      you have my vote :)

      It seems that at the moment we have no leaders, only heads of state
      (of various kinds). Our rulers are perhaps stifled by our political
      systems, and seem to be lacking any kind of vision. Previously, when
      faced with this dilemma, war has been the easy answer, but war is no
      longer socially or politically acceptable.

      Jacque Fresco's Venus Project has some nice ideas, but leaves no space
      for creativity (his beyond utopia quickly becomes a dystopia by being
      over designed)

      Matt

      On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:40 AM, travelerinthyme
      <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:
      > If all parking was covered parking, that would reduce the heat rising from all those metal cars and asphalt exposed to hot sun, a major cause of the warming caused by big cities.  Austin is 5-10 degrees hotter than the countryside on any given day, you can feel it when you come over the hill on the highway.
      >
      > All covered parking could have trees and gardens planted on top, generating oxygen to counteract the carbon greenhouse gasses.
      >
      > All buildings could run off their own solar and wind generators, or do without electricity.
      >
      > Everyone going a mile or less could WALK, thereby saving fuel and curing obesity.
      >
      > We could all live in high rise buildings, with windows and balconies all around, leaving millions of acres for green parklands and gardens, which we could see from our balconies.
      >
      > Bosses would receive no more than 3 times what worker are paid, and school teachers, janitors, and dishwashers would be more highly prized than accountants and administrators.  All without raising prices.
      >
      > All food would be grown organically, with respect for the natural order.
      >
      > Everyone's spiritual beliefs would be respected, and since every day is someone's religious holiday, we could feast and be merry every day, taking our turn to supply the feast 8 or 10 times a year.
      >
      > Vote for me for Benevolent Dictator!
      >
      > ~Traveler in Thyme

      All the best,
      Matthew

      Matthew Sleigh
      P-2, North Poblacion
      Don Carlos, Bukidnon
      8712
      Philippines

      Matthew Sleigh
      B and T World Seeds
      Paguignan
      34210 Aigues-Vives
      France
      matthew@...
      http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
      fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

      --
      All the best,
      Matthew

      Matthew Sleigh
      P-2, North Poblacion
      Don Carlos, Bukidnon
      8712
      Philippines

      Matthew Sleigh
      B and T World Seeds
      Paguignan
      34210 Aigues-Vives
      France
      matthew@...
      http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
      fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

    • Bekki Shining Bearheart LMT
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2011
        Thanks Matthew for setting the record straight. There are a lot of myths
        out there reagrding alternative energy. It really comes down to the
        profits that for-profit companies want to make, and often this is only
        possible because governments-- especially the US government-- subsidize
        them. These subsidies are found in all kinds of areas, not just energy.
        For instance the loggiing companies in many states are allowed to log in
        state forests and pay a pittance of what the trees are actually worth.
        Robbing the public of lots of revenues and never planting a tree to
        replace what they take. If the solar and wind companies were subsidized
        like the nuclear and coal and so on were, they would be more than
        competitive.