Re: [pfaf] Our physiology, determines what we eat.

  • Gail Lloyd
    Message 1 of 58 , May 2, 2011

           Nutrition is widely controversial, we know that from all that’s been written so far on this post (some pretty good pros & cons, by the way). You can’t believe everything you read, though, especially on the internet, but also in books and newspapers.  Milton R. Mills, M.D.,is a Stanford University-trained physician specializing in nutrition, and, though I’m sure he’s very learned, he doesn’t know everything (and neither does ANY one person).  If you want to get at the truth of ANY matter, be well read and then make your own decisions and see what it does to your body.

           Weston A. Price (someone mentioned in a previous post) was a dentist who traveled all over the world in the 1930s & did research on people eating food from their native land (including meat) and showed that not only were they healthier, but had teeth with fewer dental caries.  Price often found that the health problems were caused by a lack of animal products. People who were (and are now) eating the standard American diet in America were  suffering from chronic & degenerative diseases.

           Also, if we were meant to only eat plant food, then plant food should contain all the nutrients that the human body needs, which it doesn’t.  Case in point, vitamin B12, which is only found naturally in significant quantities in animal products.  Another case in point, conjugated linoleic acid (another form of omega-6) - the most abundant natural form is found in meat and dairy products from grass-fed ruminants.  (Some mushrooms like Agaricus bisporus and Agaricus subrufescens, are rare non-animal sources of CLA.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid )(Plant oils such as coconut oil and safflower oil also contain this antioxidant fatty acid. According to the the "Journal of Food Consumption and Analysis" study, the levels of conjugated linoleic acid in these oils are minimal http://www.livestrong.com/article/311111-the-sources-of-naturally-occurring-conjugated-linoleic-acid/ )

      Other cases in point:

      Myth: Vegetarians live longer.
      Truth: The annual all-cause death rate of vegetarian men is slightly more than that of non-vegetarian men (.93% vs .89%); the annual all-cause death rate of vegetarian women is significantly more than that of non-vegetarian women (.86% vs .54%) (Wise Traditions 2000 1:4:16-17).

      Myth: Vitamin B12 can be obtained from certain plant sources such as blue-green algae and fermented soy products.
      Truth: Vitamin B12 is not absorbed from plant sources. Modern soy products actually increase the body’s need for B12 (Soybeans: Chemistry & Technology
      Vol 1 1972).

      Message 58 of 58 , May 17, 2011
        By the pic, it looks like the malaysian local fruit - chichu whose seeds look exactly the same & it's sweet & well liked by many.

        On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Javier Cosp <jcosp@...> wrote:
        [Attachment(s) from Javier Cosp included below]

        Somebody knows this fruit? Can be eaten?

        Javier Cosp
        Asuncion, Paraguay