Benevolent Dictator

  • travelerinthyme
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2011
      If all parking was covered parking, that would reduce the heat rising from all those metal cars and asphalt exposed to hot sun, a major cause of the warming caused by big cities. Austin is 5-10 degrees hotter than the countryside on any given day, you can feel it when you come over the hill on the highway.

      All covered parking could have trees and gardens planted on top, generating oxygen to counteract the carbon greenhouse gasses.

      All buildings could run off their own solar and wind generators, or do without electricity.

      Everyone going a mile or less could WALK, thereby saving fuel and curing obesity.

      We could all live in high rise buildings, with windows and balconies all around, leaving millions of acres for green parklands and gardens, which we could see from our balconies.

      Bosses would receive no more than 3 times what worker are paid, and school teachers, janitors, and dishwashers would be more highly prized than accountants and administrators. All without raising prices.

      All food would be grown organically, with respect for the natural order.

      Everyone's spiritual beliefs would be respected, and since every day is someone's religious holiday, we could feast and be merry every day, taking our turn to supply the feast 8 or 10 times a year.

      Vote for me for Benevolent Dictator!

      ~Traveler in Thyme
    • Matthew Sleigh
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2011
        you have my vote :)

        It seems that at the moment we have no leaders, only heads of state
        (of various kinds). Our rulers are perhaps stifled by our political
        systems, and seem to be lacking any kind of vision. Previously, when
        faced with this dilemma, war has been the easy answer, but war is no
        longer socially or politically acceptable.

        Jacque Fresco's Venus Project has some nice ideas, but leaves no space
        for creativity (his beyond utopia quickly becomes a dystopia by being
        over designed)

        Matt

        On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:40 AM, travelerinthyme
        <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:
        > If all parking was covered parking, that would reduce the heat rising from all those metal cars and asphalt exposed to hot sun, a major cause of the warming caused by big cities.  Austin is 5-10 degrees hotter than the countryside on any given day, you can feel it when you come over the hill on the highway.
        >
        > All covered parking could have trees and gardens planted on top, generating oxygen to counteract the carbon greenhouse gasses.
        >
        > All buildings could run off their own solar and wind generators, or do without electricity.
        >
        > Everyone going a mile or less could WALK, thereby saving fuel and curing obesity.
        >
        > We could all live in high rise buildings, with windows and balconies all around, leaving millions of acres for green parklands and gardens, which we could see from our balconies.
        >
        > Bosses would receive no more than 3 times what worker are paid, and school teachers, janitors, and dishwashers would be more highly prized than accountants and administrators.  All without raising prices.
        >
        > All food would be grown organically, with respect for the natural order.
        >
        > Everyone's spiritual beliefs would be respected, and since every day is someone's religious holiday, we could feast and be merry every day, taking our turn to supply the feast 8 or 10 times a year.
        >
        > Vote for me for Benevolent Dictator!
        >
        > ~Traveler in Thyme

        All the best,
        Matthew

        Matthew Sleigh
        P-2, North Poblacion
        Don Carlos, Bukidnon
        8712
        Philippines

        Matthew Sleigh
        B and T World Seeds
        Paguignan
        34210 Aigues-Vives
        France
        matthew@...
        http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
        fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39
      • Griselda Mussett
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2011
          The BBC website said today that in Scotland the electricity authorities are paying colossal sums to several windfarm arrays for NOT supplying electricty, as it comes in surges which are proving too costly for the system to cope with. This is in the region of hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money, so that they immobilise the turbines. I cannot think of a more stupid, corrupt, wasteful outcome.
          Griselda

          Sent from my iPhone

          <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:
          > If all parking was covered parking, that would reduce the heat rising from all those metal cars and asphalt exposed to hot sun, a major cause of the warming caused by big cities.  Austin is 5-10 degrees hotter than the countryside on any given day, you can feel it when you come over the hill on the highway.
          >
          > All covered parking could have trees and gardens planted on top, generating oxygen to counteract the carbon greenhouse gasses.
          >
          > All buildings could run off their own solar and wind generators, or do without electricity.
          >
          > Everyone going a mile or less could WALK, thereby saving fuel and curing obesity.
          >
          > We could all live in high rise buildings, with windows and balconies all around, leaving millions of acres for green parklands and gardens, which we could see from our balconies.
          >
          > Bosses would receive no more than 3 times what worker are paid, and school teachers, janitors, and dishwashers would be more highly prized than accountants and administrators.  All without raising prices.
          >
          > All food would be grown organically, with respect for the natural order.
          >
          > Everyone's spiritual beliefs would be respected, and since every day is someone's religious holiday, we could feast and be merry every day, taking our turn to supply the feast 8 or 10 times a year.
          >
          > Vote for me for Benevolent Dictator!
          >
          > ~Traveler in Thyme

          All the best,
          Matthew

          Matthew Sleigh
          P-2, North Poblacion
          Don Carlos, Bukidnon
          8712
          Philippines

          Matthew Sleigh
          B and T World Seeds
          Paguignan
          34210 Aigues-Vives
          France
          matthew@...
          http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
          fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

        • Matthew Sleigh
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2011
            so windfarms need a way to store energy ?

            <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:
            > If all parking was covered parking, that would reduce the heat rising from all those metal cars and asphalt exposed to hot sun, a major cause of the warming caused by big cities.  Austin is 5-10 degrees hotter than the countryside on any given day, you can feel it when you come over the hill on the highway.
            >
            > All covered parking could have trees and gardens planted on top, generating oxygen to counteract the carbon greenhouse gasses.
            >
            > All buildings could run off their own solar and wind generators, or do without electricity.
            >
            > Everyone going a mile or less could WALK, thereby saving fuel and curing obesity.
            >
            > We could all live in high rise buildings, with windows and balconies all around, leaving millions of acres for green parklands and gardens, which we could see from our balconies.
            >
            > Bosses would receive no more than 3 times what worker are paid, and school teachers, janitors, and dishwashers would be more highly prized than accountants and administrators.  All without raising prices.
            >
            > All food would be grown organically, with respect for the natural order.
            >
            > Everyone's spiritual beliefs would be respected, and since every day is someone's religious holiday, we could feast and be merry every day, taking our turn to supply the feast 8 or 10 times a year.
            >
            > Vote for me for Benevolent Dictator!
            >
            > ~Traveler in Thyme

            All the best,
            Matthew

            Matthew Sleigh
            P-2, North Poblacion
            Don Carlos, Bukidnon
            8712
            Philippines

            Matthew Sleigh
            B and T World Seeds
            Paguignan
            34210 Aigues-Vives
            France
            matthew@...
            http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
            fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

            --
            All the best,
            Matthew

            Matthew Sleigh
            P-2, North Poblacion
            Don Carlos, Bukidnon
            8712
            Philippines

            Matthew Sleigh
            B and T World Seeds
            Paguignan
            34210 Aigues-Vives
            France
            matthew@...
            http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
            fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

          • travelerinthyme
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2011
              Wind, water, and solar power all cost more to produce than they put out, alas, which is why we use petroleum and nuclear power in the first place.

              The solution, of course, is to forego the need for technology, and reduce the population, but that ain't gonna happen without megadisaster.

              I watch too much sci-fi.
              ~Traveler in Thyme

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Griselda Mussett <mussetts@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > All buildings could run off their own solar and wind generators, or do without electricity.
              > > >
              > > > Everyone going a mile or less could WALK, thereby saving fuel and curing obesity.
              > > >
              > > > We could all live in high rise buildings, with windows and balconies all around, leaving millions of acres for green parklands and gardens, which we could see from our balconies.
              > > >
              > > > Bosses would receive no more than 3 times what worker are paid, and school teachers, janitors, and dishwashers would be more highly prized than accountants and administrators. All without raising prices.
              > > >
              > > > All food would be grown organically, with respect for the natural order.
              > > >
              > > > Everyone's spiritual beliefs would be respected, and since every day is someone's religious holiday, we could feast and be merry every day, taking our turn to supply the feast 8 or 10 times a year.

            • Peter Ellis
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2011
                Matthew Sleigh wrote:

                > so windfarms need a way to store energy ?

                Yes. Whereas conventional power stations produce power continually, with
                options to raise and lower production according to demand, windfarms
                only produce when there is wind. Statistically, they often don't produce
                power when it is needed and do produce when it isn't, hence the need for
                storage and later release.

                Some of this may be changing. Traditionally, most power was needed
                during winter, but with increased use of air conditioning in summer,
                usage is starting to even out. There are still peaks during the day. In
                the UK, there would be regular peaks when TV advertisements came on and
                viewers rushed out to all put the electric kettle on at exactly the same
                time!

                The changes have interesting side effects. A friend wrote the official
                report on the Auckland brown out, some years ago and later did another
                for IIRC, Singapore. His findings, summed up, were that when
                transmission systems are heavily used, as in winter, they heat up.
                However, winter environmental conditions normally cool them down and
                keep them within preset parameters. Now that there is increasingly heavy
                summer use, with A/C, the transmission cables still heat up, but instead
                of cold winter weather to cool them down, warm summer weather makes
                things worse and the overheating blows the protection systems. As we are
                talking of the transmission cables from the power stations, the effect
                is to cut off the whole town.

                Cheers

                Peter
              • Infowolf1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2011
                  flywheels, battery banks, etc.

                  Christine

                  <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:
                  > If all parking was covered parking, that would reduce the heat rising from all those metal cars and asphalt exposed to hot sun, a major cause of the warming caused by big cities.  Austin is 5-10 degrees hotter than the countryside on any given day, you can feel it when you come over the hill on the highway.
                  >
                  > All covered parking could have trees and gardens planted on top, generating oxygen to counteract the carbon greenhouse gasses.
                  >
                  > All buildings could run off their own solar and wind generators, or do without electricity.
                  >
                  > Everyone going a mile or less could WALK, thereby saving fuel and curing obesity.
                  >
                  > We could all live in high rise buildings, with windows and balconies all around, leaving millions of acres for green parklands and gardens, which we could see from our balconies.
                  >
                  > Bosses would receive no more than 3 times what worker are paid, and school teachers, janitors, and dishwashers would be more highly prized than accountants and administrators.  All without raising prices.
                  >
                  > All food would be grown organically, with respect for the natural order.
                  >
                  > Everyone's spiritual beliefs would be respected, and since every day is someone's religious holiday, we could feast and be merry every day, taking our turn to supply the feast 8 or 10 times a year.
                  >
                  > Vote for me for Benevolent Dictator!
                  >
                  > ~Traveler in Thyme

                  All the best,
                  Matthew

                  Matthew Sleigh
                  P-2, North Poblacion
                  Don Carlos, Bukidnon
                  8712
                  Philippines

                  Matthew Sleigh
                  B and T World Seeds
                  Paguignan
                  34210 Aigues-Vives
                  France
                  matthew@...
                  http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
                  fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

                  --
                  All the best,
                  Matthew

                  Matthew Sleigh
                  P-2, North Poblacion
                  Don Carlos, Bukidnon
                  8712
                  Philippines

                  Matthew Sleigh
                  B and T World Seeds
                  Paguignan
                  34210 Aigues-Vives
                  France
                  matthew@...
                  http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
                  fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

                • Matthew Sleigh
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2011
                    Hi Marcia,

                    On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:42 PM, travelerinthyme
                    <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:
                    > Wind, water, and solar power all cost more to produce than they put out, alas, which is why we use petroleum and nuclear power in the first place.

                    Where do you get this information ?

                    I remember that back in the 1970's a study was done that showed
                    alternative energy in a bad light - the study was (fairly) recently
                    found to have been flawed; a decimal place had been misplaced and
                    alternative energy production had been reported as having 1/10th of
                    it's actual efficiency - the direct effect of this report was that
                    alternative energy projects in the UK were dropped and nuclear energy
                    promoted - indirectly the study has effected energy policy worldwide.

                    On another tack:
                    Plants are Wind, water, and solar power collectors, this energy can be
                    harnessed in millions of different ways - in organic gardening and
                    permaculture a considerable amount of the energy is reinvested in the
                    soil, to arrive at a sustainable soil community where (for example)
                    more biomass may be deposited than soil lost through run-off.

                    All the best,
                    Matthew
                  • Bekki Shining Bearheart LMT
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2011
                      Thanks Matthew for setting the record straight. There are a lot of myths
                      out there reagrding alternative energy. It really comes down to the
                      profits that for-profit companies want to make, and often this is only
                      possible because governments-- especially the US government-- subsidize
                      them. These subsidies are found in all kinds of areas, not just energy.
                      For instance the loggiing companies in many states are allowed to log in
                      state forests and pay a pittance of what the trees are actually worth.
                      Robbing the public of lots of revenues and never planting a tree to
                      replace what they take. If the solar and wind companies were subsidized
                      like the nuclear and coal and so on were, they would be more than
                      competitive.