[Fwd: COMMENT Stewartia pseudocamellia]

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2004
      An intresting comment

      Steve Mach (smachs@****) added the comment:

      There is much more to know and appreciate about Stewartias if you have
      propagated or grown them, i.e. spent time with them. They are in the
      same family as tea, camellia, franklinia. There are interesting
      differences between and within varieties -
      and surprisingly little information on the web. We live North of
      Seattle along the coast. We have several older
      "common type" pseudocamellia tres, i.e. the buds and flowers are on
      distinct stems rather than within rosettes of reddish leaves as in the
      rostrata type.

      I much prefer the rostrata in appearance of flowers (a bit of pink)
      and more lanquid manner of growth - and the flowers are mildly fragrant.

      I have germinated and grown the native ovata from seed
      but it needs a different culture - after a few years I believe I lost
      them to sun, heat, and lack of moisture over a summer season.

      I obtained some gemmata seed - described on the web as:

      Supposedly the same as S. sinensis but plants grown from this seed
      have produced plants very different from any other stewartia we grow.
      Stunning strong growing plants. Light green foliage,
      shades of red and pink in autumn. Flowers probably white.

      We'll see - the seed I purchased germinated and they are just getting
      their first true leaves.

      <P>Link: <a
      href="http://www.treeshrubseed.com/catalog.asp?genus=s">Schumacher
      Seed</a> tree and shrub seeds also www.sheffields.com, Sheffields Seeds</P>

      Rich
      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2004
        I believe that High Beeches Gardens here in Sussex holds the N.C.C.P.G
        National
        Collection of Stewartias - WWW.highbeeches.com