[Fwd: [diggers350] More Environment less Agri: by Mick Green]

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2004
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [diggers350] More Environment less Agri: by Mick Green
      Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:02:41 +0100
      From: office@...
      To: diggers350@yahoogroups.com

      More Environment – less Agri: by Mick Green

      Published in the latest addition of Ecos [Vol. 25,(2)]
      Ecos is the journal of the British Association of Nature Conservation
      ref: www.banc.org.uk

      (references are numbered and listed below article).

      Agri-environment schemes are getting promoted as the answer to all our
      rural ills, yet they are no more than a subsidy by another name, skewing
      land prices and poor value for money in terms of wildlife ‘production’.
      We need a new approach to land ownership and the responsibilities that
      entails.

      A walk in the country:
      I went for a walk this morning. Down the lane past the nearest farm –
      they’re in the organic aid scheme and the Tir Gofal Agri-environment
      scheme. They appear to have used the money to buy an even bigger tractor
      which must have come in useful when they tore out the hedges. Then
      across the main road and up the track. There’s a new stile in the hedge
      with a label telling me its paid for out of public money and I’m
      graciously allowed access across that field as part of the ‘Tir Gofal’
      agri-environment scheme. Trouble is, it doesn’t tell me where the path
      goes, but it does warn me it may be closed at times. I follow the old
      public footpath on up the hill, climb the gate across the path that’s
      been wired closed. Another hedgerow (or what was a hedgerow until it was
      flailed so close, and grazed so hard from both sides it became a row of
      shrubs) lies in a smoking pile in the field alongside a new wire fence.
      Down the lane full of thorns and cuttings from the newly flailed hedge –
      bla!
      ckberries ripened early this year, so the hedges have to be massacred
      early as well. Another day in our countryside, looked after by its
      custodians. Trouble is, all this ‘looking after’ of the countryside
      costs money. But never mind. I get back and there’s the new ECOS on the
      mat with suggestions for another scheme to give the custodians more
      money in agri-environment payments. (1)

      Enough!
      No! Enough! Why should we pay subsidies under the guise of helping the
      environment to an industry that has proved incapable of basic
      environmental stewardship of the land it controls? The term
      ‘agri-environment’ says it all – these are agricultural subsidies with a
      bit of an environmental gloss to try and make them acceptable. The
      proposal for an ‘entry level’ scheme only compounds the problem. Hodge
      and Renwick propose that the entry level scheme should involve payments
      for ‘basic land stewardship’. Why should public money pay for this? If
      the agricultural industry are the custodians of the land they claim to
      be should we not assume that their custody extends to a good level of
      basic stewardship? Many of the basic requirements of current schemes
      involve nothing more than complying with the law and of basic principles
      of good practice. Why should we pay for these – I do not get paid for
      obeying the speed limit and following the highway code yet it is
      expected of me when I exe!
      rcise my right to drive (and I am prosecuted if I do not). Landowners
      constantly harp on about their ‘rights’ being threatened by those, like
      me, separated from the land after centuries of exclusion (2) who dare to
      comment on how our money is spent, and yet we hear nothing of the
      responsibilities that go with those rights. The early ESA payments,
      where farmers only entered the lowest tier, showed little impact on
      wildlife (3) and the RSPB have shown that the higher ESA tiers are more
      cost effective(4), and yet we still talk about an even lower tier of
      payment. In Wales the Tir Gofal scheme is being fast tracked before
      there is proof that the prescriptions work and without enough staff time
      available to properly assess the needs of the individual holding or
      monitor the results. There is little evidence that agri-environment
      schemes are effective in delivering more wildlife – despite the millions
      spent on them there is little monitoring, and where there is some
      monitoring progr!
      ammes are poorly designed and generally ‘inadequate to assess reliably
      the effectiveness of the schemes’(5). Political pressure is to get money
      to landowners and not to improve the ecological health of the countryside.

      Attitudes
      Agri-environment has proved an expensive toffee hammer to try and crack
      the nut of modern farming and the CAP. It has failed to even start a
      change in the overall direction of farming. While intensification
      payments were taken eagerly, pastures ploughed, hedges removed and stock
      numbers increased, agri –environment payments are taken more grudgingly,
      prescriptions are argued over and compliance is poor. A few years ago I
      visited a farm in a Welsh agri-environment scheme. Hedges were ‘managed
      for wildlife’ which in reality meant they had been double fenced to
      protect vegetation in the base of the hedge – the tops were still
      flailed. A permissive footpath up to a ‘viewpoint’ had been allowed. And
      that was it. The benefit to the environment was little, and yet the
      landowner – John Lloyd Jones, then Chair of NFU Wales – thought it was a
      great improvement. But the attitude of the farmer – that wildlife is
      vermin – had not changed. John was happy to encourage wildlife in his
      hedges!
      , but if it dared venture into his closely grazed fields he told me he
      would ‘zap it’. While production subsidies were successful in persuading
      landowners to extract the maximum from their land, agri-environment
      payments have failed to change attitudes to wildlife and to encourage
      farming with Nature rather than against it. (By the way – John Lloyd
      Jones is now Chair of the Countryside Council for Wales which spends a
      lot of its time giving money to landowners)

      Agri-environment payments as agricultural subsidies, especially broad
      based area payments such as those suggested by Hodge and Renwick, also
      add to the false high value of land, continuing the exclusion of those
      who would like to sustainably manage land for food production, nature
      conservation or whatever. The current proposals in England for
      production subsidies to move to a single farm payment based on the area
      of the farm will compound this problem – the more land you have the more
      money you get and never mind the wildlife. The Welsh approach of
      payments based on historic rates (how much land you had and how much
      stock) will also make it difficult for new entrants and bias payments to
      the more intensive holdings.

      Payments for environmental works should be treated as grant not
      subsides, and given with the rigour of grant schemes. If a conservation
      organisation applies for money for environmental work on a piece of land
      it is nearly always in the form of a grant. Usually at a maximum of 50%
      it is assessed, fine tuned, subject to rigorous compliance monitoring
      and often as not paid in arrears when proof of the work having been done
      can be given. If I, as an individual try to apply for money there’s
      little chance of getting it unless I happen to own a registered
      agricultural holding.
      There should be commitment to ongoing management of the work that
      receives public money. With current agri schemes at the end of the
      agreement, the landowner can then plough up the pasture, grub out the
      wood or whatever.

      Agri reform
      Some of this may not be possible within the CAP, but we should push the
      rules as far as is possible to decouple environmental payments from
      agricultural subsidy – it should be seen as payment for environmental
      goods, not as an agri-based subsidy scheme. While we are stuck with the
      CAP agri-environment payments should at least be far better targeted. In
      particular I suggest:
      • Strict enforcement of current laws on such things as hedgerow
      regulations, SSSIs, pollution etc.
      • Payments should be dependent on, and not for, basic good stewardship
      of the land. Landowners should demonstrate good stewardship before they
      receive any payments.
      • Payments should be by results.
      • Landowners should be required to work together before receiving
      payments in some cases, such as restoring wetlands across ownership
      boundaries.
      • Schemes should be specific to each site and not based on broad
      prescriptions.
      • Payments should include agreements for maintaining work paid for
      beyond the end of an agreement.
      • Payments to be available to a wider range of occupiers of the land –
      not just those registered as ‘agricultural’.
      • Much stricter compliance monitoring.
      • Proper research and monitoring programmes to assess the effectiveness
      of schemes with the ability to change schemes mid term if they are shown
      to be not working.

      Land reform
      Longer term we need real reform of land ownership in Britain. There are
      currently only about 134,000 landowners in England and Wales(6), and,
      encouraged by Government policy, the number is getting less. Less and
      less people owning more and more land, receiving more and more subsidy
      while presiding over the continuing decline of our wildlife. What we
      need is wider land ownership and more community control of land. If more
      people could reconnect with the land, reconnecting with Nature, we may
      find more support for widespread conservation initiatives. At the very
      least we need wider access to ‘our’ land - land that has been paid for
      many times over by public subsidy. The ‘right to roam’ legislation was a
      start but access to land – real access, to pick the blackberries, swim
      in the rivers – is vital if we are to help more people understand Nature
      and see both the damage we have done and the healing we can do. Land
      reform in Scotland is a start, with communities taking control of !
      their own patch. We also see the start in Wales with local people buying
      a mountain(7), but there is little sign of encouragement from the
      Assembly for such initiatives. In the long term purchase of land would
      be a lot cheaper than continuing to subsidise uneconomic farming
      practices but there seems to be little political will for anything that
      could be labelled ‘nationalisation’.

      I have no cunning plan as to how to get from here to there, but here are
      some suggestions to start:

      • Tax on land. Currently land is one of the few assets untaxed. A tax on
      land would reduce the incentive to hold large areas and redress the
      imbalance caused by subsidies. A tax free allowance, plus tax credits
      for environmental works could be used to encourage smaller land
      holdings, sustainable enterprises etc.
      • A change in the planning rules for sustainable living on the land.(8)
      • Land use change subject to full planning control.
      • Purchase of land by public bodies for sustainable agriculture to be
      let at rates that do not require intensive exploitation of the land to
      make a return – something of a return to the county smallholdings to let
      people make a start on the land.
      • A proper right to roam giving people access to land everywhere.
      • Apply the ‘polluter pays’ principle to agriculture, with a tax on
      fertiliser and pesticides to reduce use and pay for clean up of water
      supplies etc(9).

      We need an end to subsidy for land ownership, and a move to where
      payments are only made if Nature benefits, and where the results can be
      enjoyed by all those who are paying for it.

      Mick Green is a freelance Environmental consultant. He can be contacted
      via e-mail at: mick@...