hope

  • travelerinthyme
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2011
      In spite of having absolutely NO rain in 6 months, plus record freezes, there seems to be a lot to eat in our garden. Mostly lambs quarters (chenopodium), an always reliable source of greens, which I am harvesting and putting thru the dehydrator. 10 servings dried down to 1/2 baggie full of green powder, amazing!

      Cilantro going to seed, now we'll have tons of coriander for curries. Horseradish healthy, at least until it gets hotter. Chives looking a bit wilty, and the wild garlic is definitely looking stressed, but I'm freezing them for use later. Too stinky to dehydrate, ugh!

      Thyme all dead except for a patch of lemon thyme on the northeast side of an oak tree, and it's beginning to suffer now that the days are in the 90's. I picked a year's supply to dry, Traveler can't be without Thyme.

      Rosemary, Mexican oregano, sage, and Swiss Chard don't even act like they miss the rain. Spanish lavender blooming like crazy, though the flowers are very tiny. All other lavenders dead.

      Spiderwort bloomed but croaked early, Englemann daisy doing OK, commelina day flowers looking sparse, flame acanthus totally unaffected so far. But, it's only 90 degrees, with very cool nights, wait until it really gets to be summer, and we'll see.

      Mountain laurel actually looks better this year, hmm? and the clematis bloomed profusely. Confederate jasmine got severely frost bitten, but is still alive in the sheltered places. Oak trees looking a bit stressed, and it's so early yet, I'm really worried. Black cherry bloomed heavily, for the first time, a 5 year old tree about head high.

      Native grasses have needed mowing twice, but there is no new grass sprouting in the areas cleared last year.

      pray for rain in Central Texas! All the storms stop just north of Austin, it must rain in Del Rio for it to rain on me.

      ~Traveler in Thyme, Blanco County, TX zone 8-9