another dimension

  • travelerinthyme
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 24, 2011
      My husband and I drive vintage Ford vans, that get about 13 mpg. His is fully
      loaded with work equipment, and he spends about $100/wk on gas to get to remote
      jobs. Mine only gets driven a couple times a month to the grocery store and
      library, but sees use as a camper when we go to Ren Faires or to visit family.

      I often envy cute little cars with great gas mileage, though the smallest thing
      I could cope with would be a mini-suv, since when I do go somewhere I bring back
      a lot of stuff.

      But the $30,000 difference between my old van and a new car will buy me a lot of
      gasoline! Being unemployed, this is a big deal to me. I just try to do my
      part for the environment by staying off the road.

      Both these vehicles have almost a quarter million miles on them, kept alive thru
      loving maintenance (no energy or resources spent building new cars!)

      My theory on saving energy: humans survived 100,000 without electricity, now we
      panic at the thought of no technology? What if we went to bed when the sun set
      instead of turning on the lights? What if we worked in buildings with windows,
      so we didn't need flourescents and A/C? And, heaven forbid, what if we WALKED?

      If I were the Benevolent Dictator, everyone would live within 2 miles of where
      they worked, and they would WALK, thereby eliminating the obesity epidemic, too.
      Neighborhood shops and groceries would then replace supermarkets and WalMart.
      Good farmland would not be covered in pavement or subdivisions, houses would
      have edible gardens instead of lawns and ornamentals, and women would learn to
      sew again, so we wouldn't have to compete with sweatshop foreign labour. Hmm?

      ~Traveler in Thyme, living in another dimension
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 24, 2011
        Have you though of converting to biodiesel? You might well be able to run you vans on it and its got quite a few green credentials, its also quite economical. As its derived from plants it does not have a net contribution to greenhouse gas. Often its a recycled product using waste from frying food, I know people in the UK who get the left overs from chip shops. Alternatively you might even be able to grow your own, if you have enough land.

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "travelerinthyme" <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:

        > My husband and I drive vintage Ford vans, that get about 13 mpg. His is fully
        > loaded with work equipment, and he spends about $100/wk on gas to get to remote
        > jobs. Mine only gets driven a couple times a month to the grocery store and
        > library, but sees use as a camper when we go to Ren Faires or to visit family.
        >
        > I often envy cute little cars with great gas mileage, though the smallest thing
        > I could cope with would be a mini-suv, since when I do go somewhere I bring back
        > a lot of stuff.
        >
        > But the $30,000 difference between my old van and a new car will buy me a lot of
        > gasoline! Being unemployed, this is a big deal to me. I just try to do my
        > part for the environment by staying off the road.
        >
        > Both these vehicles have almost a quarter million miles on them, kept alive thru
        > loving maintenance (no energy or resources spent building new cars!)
        >
        > My theory on saving energy: humans survived 100,000 without electricity, now we
        > panic at the thought of no technology? What if we went to bed when the sun set
        > instead of turning on the lights? What if we worked in buildings with windows,
        > so we didn't need flourescents and A/C? And, heaven forbid, what if we WALKED?
        >
        > If I were the Benevolent Dictator, everyone would live within 2 miles of where
        > they worked, and they would WALK, thereby eliminating the obesity epidemic, too.
        > Neighborhood shops and groceries would then replace supermarkets and WalMart.
        > Good farmland would not be covered in pavement or subdivisions, houses would
        > have edible gardens instead of lawns and ornamentals, and women would learn to
        > sew again, so we wouldn't have to compete with sweatshop foreign labour. Hmm?
        >
        > ~Traveler in Thyme, living in another dimension

      • inverse
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 25, 2011
          On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Rich <rich@...> wrote:

          Have you though of converting to biodiesel? You might well be able to run you vans on it and its got quite a few green credentials, its also quite economical. As its derived from plants it does not have a net contribution to

          Hi!

          In the long run, I don't think Traveler's problem would find a solution in biodiesel unless they manage to carefully recycle deep frying oil gallon after gallon. Even then, their vans simply 'drink' too much fuel for this solution to be sustainable.

          With sustainable I mean really sustainable, not the usual green talk... one day even if they manage to grab enough arable land they will have to chose between growing food for them or for their guzzlers. There's not enough land for everybody to keep going on like this, so somebody will have to starve if you want to keep driving: it comes as no surprise that nobody is willing to die horribly becuse somebody else has to feed their vans.

          Even without doing something awful as growing crops to fuel a guzzler, there aren't enough resources left to fuel the current mechanized agribusiness for everybody.

          One thing I appreciated in these last threads has been the 'inconvenient' truth that in times of drought only chenopodium album has been able to thrive AND feed people! In our so called modern world this is considered a weed, in other places like India and other himalayan countries this is a delicious green grown for leaves and seeds.
          Well, this plant's resistance to drought is amazing.
          I've seen it literally sprout from bone-dry surfaces and I've even spotted some specimens growing in almost pure sand near a beach in the Chiba prefecture (Japan).

          Exactly for this reason, last autumn I collected a few pounds of seed wich have been already scattered in the field by now. I expect now to see a lot of food growing for free and without using oil, pesticides, irrigation, chemical fertilizers and any form of labor either mechanized or human caring for these plants because they are perfectly able to do fine without my intervention.

          This is the kind of agriculture I'd like to see. Of course I'll accept there are oxalates and probably other unknown antinutrients which require boiling, but I can't afford genetic erosion (and the usual collection of weakness and diseases coming with it) in order to select the most palatable plant.
          Oh, yeah... spinach has even higher oxalate levels, why is it sold then?

          And that's all for this year's experiments!

          Inverse

        • travelerinthyme
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 25, 2011
            It's a long, long drive from here to any biodiesel stations! And mono-cropping land to feed machines is totally against my principles.
            ~Traveler in Thyme

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 26, 2011
              Let's hear it for chenopodium (goosefoot, lambs quarters)!!!!
              With absolutely no rain since October, and no irrigation, our garden is full of tasty greens.

              We don't expect them to survive the heat of summer, though. It's only April, and expected to be 98 degrees in the shade today. So, I'm picking as much of everything as possible and dehydrating it into mysterious green powders to add to beans and soups later in the summer.

              I don't even want to trust the freezer to store food, since we have been having frequent brownouts and power failures. The battery backup power source for my computer has been beeping a lot, very scary!

              ~Traveler in Thyme
              Blanco County, Texas zone 8-9
            • inverse
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 26, 2011
                On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 2:41 PM, travelerinthyme <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:

                We don't expect them to survive the heat of summer, though. It's only April, and expected to be 98 degrees in the shade today. So, I'm picking as much of everything as possible and dehydrating it into mysterious green powders to add to beans and soups later in the summer.

                I hope they'll manage to set seed though :\

                By the way, I'm noting something strange in my place. There's this abandoned field which last year was full of chenopodiums, some of them were 10-12 feet tall and produced amazing amounts of seed. The stalks stayed in place, nobody cared to remove them.

                By now there should be tiny chenopodiums germinating all over the place, right?
                Wrong! There's none.
                Bare earth, some artemisia vulgaris (prennial) and not much more. No chenopodiums, no grasses, only dry stalks from the last season.

                I don't get it. If that's some kind of allelopathic effect, it's an incredibly strong one.
                It can't be fertility loss, not at this level, so it must be allelopathy.

                What do you think?
                Anybody?

                If I'm correct about this, before winter comes I'll have to make sure chenopodium stalks are removed or nothing will grow there next year.

                bye,
                Inverse

              • Annie Sampson
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 27, 2011
                  Hi Inverse,

                  Re the Chenopodium, would be interested to see what this looks like.  Think that chenopodium  is used as a homoeopathic worming treatment.  Where do you live ?

                  have a good day

                  Annie  UK

[...]

                • jonathantellerelsberg
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 27, 2011
                    Hi Inverse,

                    I wouldn't be so fast to conclude that the issue is allelopathy. Among other things, allelopathy shouldn't so strongly affect the seeds of plants of the same species. Also, I've tried a quick online search and find no top results with information stating that chenopodiums are allelopathic.

                    Are you sure that the chenopodiums in your area sprout this time of year? Perhaps the seeds are still dormant and you'll discover a chenopodium forrest in another month. Perhaps someone sprayed herbicide on the lot last autumn, so that the natural end of season cycle obscured the chemical onslaught--but the chemicals remain active enough to halt new growth this year. I'm sure there are other possibilities as well.

                    Speaking of chenopodiums, I'm excited this year to be planting some Good King Henry into my garden, as part of some fruit tree guilds I'm establishing. Good King Henry, chenopodium bonus-henricus, is a perennial chenopodium, with leaves that are good for cooking ("spinach-like") and, when well fertilized, also offering "asparagus-like" spring shoots. Eric Toensmeier, in his book Perennial Vegetables, advocates for breeding work to be done with Good King Henry, as it has the potential to diversify into a number of useful perennial sub-types, from supplier of shoots and greens to a pseudo-grain source similar to quinoa (which also is a chenopodium) to a provider of broccoli-like flower stalks similar to fellow chenopodium Huauzontle.

                    -Jonathan

                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, inverse <inverse@...> wrote:

                    > On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 2:41 PM, travelerinthyme wrote:
                    > >
                    > > We don't expect them to survive the heat of summer, though. It's only April, and expected to be 98 degrees in the shade today. So, I'm picking as much of everything as possible and dehydrating it into mysterious green powders to add to beans and soups later in the summer. I hope they'll manage to set seed though :\
                    >
                    > By the way, I'm noting something strange in my place. There's this abandoned field which last year was full of chenopodiums, some of them were 10-12 feet tall and produced amazing amounts of seed. The stalks stayed in place, nobody cared to remove them.
                    >
                    > By now there should be tiny chenopodiums germinating all over the place, right? Wrong! There's none. Bare earth, some artemisia vulgaris (prennial) and not much more. No chenopodiums, no grasses, only dry stalks from the last season.
                    >
                    > I don't get it. If that's some kind of allelopathic effect, it's an incredibly strong one. It can't be fertility loss, not at this level, so it must be allelopathy.
                    >
                    > What do you think? Anybody?
                    >
                    > If I'm correct about this, before winter comes I'll have to make sure chenopodium stalks are removed or nothing will grow there next year.
                    >
                    > bye,
                    > Inverse
                  • travelerinthyme
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 27, 2011
                      Mother Nature rotates her crops, so if your field had a lot of chenopodium last year, something else may grow there this year.

                      We had a thick stand of it two years in a row, but the third year the plants were crowded and spindly, then got eaten by some sort of beetle.

                      This year, there were only two or three plants in that spot, but the front garden, where I'm not growing veggies because of the drought, is THICK with lambs quarters (chenopodium), so we have plenty of wild greens, even if we don't have any tomatoes.

                      Italian parsley does the same thing. I rearrange the garden every season, according to where the parsley comes up. Cilantro is a native weed, and also rotates itself around the property.

                      Wouldn't it be nice if tomatoes behaved this way? We do get volunteers, but this year, nothing because of the drought.

                      ~Traveler in Thyme, Blanco County, TX zone 8-9
                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 27, 2011
                        Hi Inverse,

                        Is it possible that the area could have been sprayed?

                        Peace,
                        Steve

                        --
                        "All that is gold does not glitter,
                        Not all those who wander are lost;

                      • beitharmony@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 27, 2011
                          Hi,

                          How do you dehydrate the greens?

                          Thanks,
                          Joy
                        • beitharmony@gmail.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 27, 2011
                            Butterflies, bees, birds and other critters who would normally carry the
                            pollen have died off leaving unfertilized plants and subsequently no
                            regrowth.

                            Water is only one ingredient of the equation. There are so many elements
                            that are overlooked but which play an equal if not greater role in all
                            of life.

                            What is going on now in the world, lack of water in some places,
                            overflooding in others, extremities of heat and cold all point to
                            disharmony - a severity taking place in the heavens that has mirrored
                            what mankind has done and now handing it all back to us as a mirror. The
                            laws of the universe have been broken by man, justice has not been meted
                            out on earth, so - as in all things balance must be restored - in this
                            case through the channel of severity.

                            Best,
                            Joy
                          • inverse
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 28, 2011
                              On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Steve <permalove@...> wrote:

                              Hi Inverse,

                              Is it possible that the area could have been sprayed?

                              Hi Steve,

                              I think not: the forest of stalks is very thick and high, most chenopodium were between 2 and 3 meters high, few of them topping almost 4m (measured personally) and pratically impenetrable without leaving clear traces.

                              A small part of it has been burnt down a month ago, in that part yesterday I've been observing some sprouting grass blades and some artemisia.

                            • inverse
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 28, 2011
                                Hi Annie,

                                I think chenopodium album grows fine in your country, due to your cooler climate you should be able to observe chenopodium bonus-henricus too. I live in northern Italy , here bonus henricus grows spontaneously only in the Alps. Where I am, summer temperatures are way too high. Although I'm in zone 8, the Alps favour a climatic anomaly where summer is practically subtropical and winters are fully continental while the other 2 seasons are oceanic.
                                Regarding what chenopodium album looks like, click here: http://www.google.com/search?q=chenopodium+album&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=545

                                As for its worming usage: I wouldn't trust it too much for that. It's edible, therefore not noticeably toxic in reasonable amounts. I doubt it's ever going to kill worms.
                                I've read one report (unverified word of mouth, of course) saying heavy use of this plant could have purgative effects. I'm not willing to test it in the short run.
                                There are also scientific papers saying C. album contains unidentified principles active against itching and a large set of allelochemicals, plus the usual oxalates and oxalic acid.
                                Really, nothing else..

                                bye!
                                Inverse

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 28, 2011
                                  On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM, jonathantellerelsberg <jelsberg@...> wrote:

                                  Hi Inverse,

                                  I wouldn't be so fast to conclude that the issue is allelopathy. Among other things, allelopathy shouldn't so strongly affect the seeds of plants of the same species. Also, I've tried a quick online search and find no top results with information stating that chenopodiums are allelopathic.

                                  Hi Jonathan,

                                  one thing I forgot to mention: around the edges of that field there are tiny chenopodium volunteers, probably from fallen seeds, nothing inside the field.
                                  Regarding the sprouting time:
                                  there are three main strains in my area:
                                  - one early sprouting and early flowering one, indeed quite rare, which produces mainly brown and reticulated brown seeds
                                  - one intermediate flowering strain which produces mainly black reticulated seeds and a smaller amount of brown reticulated seeds
                                  - one late sprouting / late flowering strain being the vast majority of plants which produces mainly black shiny and black reticulated seeds. These plants are probably hexaploid and grow to gigantic sizes.

                                  You might be right, then. Inside the forest the soil is still moist and  much cooler than outside so chenopodiums could indeed be late.

                                  Speaking of chenopodiums, I'm excited this year to be planting some Good King Henry into my garden, as part of some fruit tree guilds I'm establishing. Good King Henry, chenopodium bonus-henricus, is a perennial chenopodium, with leaves that are good for cooking ("spinach-like") and, when well fertilized, also offering

                                  I would like to plant them too, but they wouldn't last.. I'm at least 500m below their minimum altitude here..

                                  "asparagus-like" spring shoots. Eric Toensmeier, in his book Perennial Vegetables, advocates for breeding work to be done with Good King Henry, as it has the potential to diversify into a number of useful perennial sub-types, from supplier of shoots and greens to a pseudo-grain source similar to quinoa (which also is a chenopodium) to a provider of broccoli-like flower stalks similar to fellow chenopodium Huauzontle.

                                  I'm always in search of other perennials, so far I'm testing rumex acetosa, cichorium intybus and of course taraxacum officinale. The usual stuff so, they grow spontaneausly and can compete against grasses: that's something I like!

                                  On the other hand, a few of my chenopodiums I've sown are plagued by a kind of caterpillar which actually lives *inside* the leave and eats everything between th upper and lower skin. It's not digging a gallery, the eaten part expands in every direction. Still trying to identify it.
                                  For some reason, this caterpillar seems to select some plants and ignores other. I'm blessing genetic diversity..

                                  Inverse

                                • travelerinthyme
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 28, 2011
                                    I still believe the problem is just that having such a thick stand the year before, Mother Nature rotated the crop and grew something else. I there was no other suitable place nearby for the seedlings to sprout, you may not have any this year.

                                    Also, if all those plants came from one original mother plant, after so many generations they may just be too inbred.

                                    It happened with our volunteer parsley and chenopodium, both. I had to start over with fresh parsley seeds after ours got weak and sparse in the back yard. We planted the new seeds in the front garden, where they went wild and crazy for about 3 years, then started to become weaker and weaker, until this drought year there are hardly any, but the chenopodium is great. I don't expect to grow it in the same place next year, though,it will be moved to the side garden for 2012.

                                    ~Traveler in Thyme
                                  • inverse
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 28, 2011
                                      On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM, travelerinthyme <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:

                                      I still believe the problem is just that having such a thick stand the year before, Mother Nature rotated the crop and grew something else. I there was no other suitable place nearby for the seedlings to sprout, you may not have any this year.

                                      Also, if all those plants came from one original mother plant, after so many generations they may just be too inbred.

                                      Hi Traveler,

                                      inbreeding depression shouldn't affect the chenopodium genus. Its two most prominent species, C. quinoa and C. album are mostly self pollinated and only minimally wind pollinated. In addition to this, C. quinoa is always tetraploid and C. album is mostly hexaploid and tetraploid.
                                      Tetraploid and hexaploid means they have 2 and 3 full replicas of the normal chromosome number (= 2n) for its species.
                                      Simplifying, hexaploid plants tend to grow bigger and stronger than tretraploids and diploids because the expression of genetic defects is highly unlikely to happen due to the presence of additional DNA copies carrying normal genes which usually overcome defective ones. Thus no inbreeding depression should happen under normal circumstances.

                                      The explanation then could be an exceptionally high density of roots from the previous year creating a crowded environment.. I've actually observed this on some occasions: quinoa sown near a mature quinoa plant in a pot germinated late and grew very stunted, while a seed from the same lot sown in fresh earth in a new pot grew normally.
                                      I don't believe nutrients depletion is the only reason for this. The must be something in the root system telling individuals of the same species that "this place is mine".