Re: [pfaf] Re: Organic farmers against GMOs

  • Patty Martz
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2011
      If the Organic Seed Movement is truly concerned about the limited diversity, availability, and access to food crops to secure a sustainable future, they would be redistributioning heirloom seeds without boundaries to any individual, organization, and volunteer community group attempting to support the organic food movement. This is the only way  to disperse seeds worldwide. The climate is changing and many of the restrictions and  Hardiness Zone Requirements are changing, as well. Who knows for certain what may grow or be allowed to grow in your area. Many poor are dependent upon the "generosity ," affordability, and access to Monsanto seeds. If you are concerned about plant diversity, perhaps the first step would be to determine what regional native plant resources are available to you and make every effort to distribute to others who will plant them. Seeds are not the only way in which plants are propagated. Many perennials are bulbous plants (rhizomes, corms,bulbs, etc.). Many cuttings will root with the proper attention. Many trees will grow from suckers. Every time you EAT, (any heirloom, non-GMO food crop) there is a portion which will grow. Reserve 1/4 for planting your next meal and pass a pinch on to a friend or neighbor. Share your seeds of  knowledge of successful Permaculture techniques with school children, Scouts, 4-H clubs, church youth groups, community gardens, any groups or individuals who may have an interest...or plant a new interest. Find easy plants to cultivate and demonstrate how easy it is to have healthy, affordable food on your plate, with limited space and resources. Find interesting and affordable seed sources (i.e. in your kitchen). Don't buy infertile, patented, seedless food. Seek out the elders who have knowledge of plants and/or neglected gardens. Offer to assist them rejuvenating their older gardens. You can both help the viability of the crowded, existing plants and secure a few cuttings to establish in your own garden. Yes, Monsanto and GMOs are a huge threat, but I find it nearly as disturbing that many heirloom and native seeds are sitting in a VAULT somewhere while we discuss the devastation. Many organic seed companies are proceeding "business, as usual," even being fully aware of the long-term consequences of poor plant diversity and limited access. If this battle is to be won, we must work as One to ensure that every plant in every yard, and every person has KNOWLEDGE and ready, FREE ACCESS to Non-GMO seeds and plant stock, not just those who seek them out in Organic food/seed/plant stores. Volunteer. Donate. Barter. Share Knowledge and tools. What other Sustainable options do we have?

      I have seeds. I have plants. I have cuttings. Many are in my backyard and kitchen . So do you...seek them out, figure out what you HAVE and what you NEED... and barter locally. One packet of seeds can go a  long way: Take a pinch and pass it on...until next year, when you will  have a thousand more. Save your Seeds. We can increase plant diversity, one plant, one person, one idea, one garden
       at a time. :)

      Best Regards,
      Patty Martz