Fwd: [permaculture] Book: Arboretum America: A Philosophy of the Forset by Diana Beresford-Kroeger]]

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2004
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [permaculture] Book: Arboretum America: A Philosophy of the
      Forset by Diana Beresford-Kroeger
      Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:02:46 -0500
      From: Steve Diver

      This book came to my attention. The Bioplan -- which calls for
      "creating a diverse and functional ecosystem including twenty tree
      groups and their herbaceous companions" -- sounds similar to
      ecological design for permacultural plant guilds.

      Passing along details and a few book review excerpts, fyi.

      Steve Diver

      Arboretum America: A Philosophy of the Forest
      Diana Beresford-Kroeger
      University of Michigan Press
      2003, 260 pages
      ISBN: 0472068512

      Book review at:
      http://www.bookfinder.us/review7/0472098519.html

      In her short introduction, botanist Beresford-Kroeger writes that the
      great forests of North America have suffered terribly during the past
      century and that "to survive as a species ourselves" we must restore
      their original diversity.

      As a step in that direction, she describes 20 common trees that serve
      many functions in a forest ecosystem, e.g., black walnut, catalpa,
      sassafras, maple, and cedar. For each tree, she first discusses its
      history, especially its use by the aboriginal peoples of North America,
      followed by how to propagate the tree and provide the optimal
      environmental conditions for its growth. The following sections focus on
      the tree's medicinal uses, its ecological function as food and shelter
      for wildlife, and the ways in which it can be planted for therapeutic,
      aesthetic, and commercial value.

      Book review at:
      http://www.nybgshopinthegarden.org/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2130

      In this manifesto, botanist Diana Beresford-Kroeger urges the sqalvation
      of the planet through the miracle of trees. She analyzes some twenty
      genera of trees in unique ways: as they relate to the environment, and
      as they improve human health and the earth's ecology. As she does so she
      captures the botanical, physical reality of each type of tree, its
      culural signifigance, and something else as well: the metaphysical,
      magical spell all trees cast over us.

      Book review at:
      http://www.ubcpress.ca/search/title_book.asp?BookID=3729

      As E.O. Wilson writes in his foreword, Beresford-Kroeger is a poet and
      naturalist, "both druidical and scientific in literary expression." So,
      too, is her Bioplan, which in spirit and letter covers all aspects of
      trees, from their history and use by First Nations people, to their
      organic care, their medicinal and therapeutic properties, design and
      horticultural considerations, and the magic spell they cast over us.

      Book review at:
      http://www.cnf.ca/naturecanada/winter03/trail.html

      Diana Beresford-Kroeger loves plants and knows them inside and out.
      She's a classical botanist with a Ph.D. in molecular biology in addition
      to her background in heart research. For decades she has nurtured her
      very large and very beautiful organic garden, which is a refuge for many
      rare and old species of plants and trees.
      You know her as Nature Canada's Green Gardener columnist. All this is to
      say she is eminently qualified to write this eagerly awaited book, which
      is a tour de force and a must-read.

      Twenty portraits of North American trees cover their natural history,
      eco-function, uses by Native Americans, medical uses, distribution, and
      evolution. There are detailed notes on how to grow and care for each
      species and how to use them in garden design. Most interesting are the
      bioplanning sections, which suggest how the trees fit into the ecosystem
      and how we can use them to improve our environment white oak for
      wildlife and urban reforestation, white pines around hospitals,
      elderberry to supplement the income of farming communities,
      basswood to attract pollinating bees, and ash to re-establish hardwood
      forests.

      Each chapter on trees reminds us how much our lives depend on them.
      Trees used to be a direct source of our survival, providing lumber, food
      and firewood.
      Today our relationship is less directsome of us might not even see a
      tree all day or all week. Yet we cant survive without trees and
      properly functioning forests. Arboretum America considers ecological,
      economic, and aesthetic benefits.

      The purpose of the book is to teach us how to choose and plant the right
      trees to ensure we replenish our forests and woodlots wisely. Lets
      admit that a plantation doesnt have the complex biological interactions
      required to replace a natural forest. With this book in hand, and with a
      little effort, we can repair our forests. We can also add the right
      element to a household garden. Mother Nature would approve.

      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
      Email: webmaster@...