Re: [pfaf] ornithogalum umbellatum

  • KenFern
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2004
      Hi

      The full database report on edibility says as follows

      Edibility
      Bulb - raw or cooked[2, 5, 46, 61, 183]. The bulbs can be dried and ground
      into a powder[207]. Whilst the bulbs are palatable and wholesome according
      to some reports[2, 4, 115], some caution is advised. See the notes above on
      toxicity.

      These notes read as follows:-

      Known Hazards (Toxicity)
      Skin contact with the bulb can cause dermatitis in sensitive people[65]. The
      bulb contains alkaloids and is poisonous[2, 62]. Another report says that
      the bulb is poisonous to grazing animals[183].

      There are many plants with contradictory reports on their uses - the idea of
      the database is to present all these reports together to allow further
      research. It is quite probable that this plant has been eaten in times of
      famine and is fairly safe in small quantities, but can cause problems in
      larger amounts.

      I have not tried this bulb as yet, and with so many other edible bulbs that
      have no contradictory reports on edibility to try, it will probably be some
      time before I ever get round to this one.

      I hope this helps

      Ken Fern